"Go Big Gold" Bleeeeech!!

Reaction score
We need a unifying cheer that's easy and loud. "Let's Go Gophers" doesn't cut it because every other team that brings a crowd does the same cheer ... but louder ..... "Let's Go Hawkeyes" "Let's Go Badgers" and "Let's Go Bison".

Who dreamed up this "Go Big Gold" crap? Have we ever been known as "Big Gold"? I'm All in favor of ....

SKI-U-MAH​

Try it with some big cards in front of the student section and see if it catches on. It's the only unique cheer that we have. It's easy and it could be loud.

..... I'm All in favor of ....

SKI-U-MAH​

Try it with some big cards in front of the student section and see if it catches on. It's the only unique cheer that we have. It's easy and it could be loud.

Count me in. As we all know, they tried it last year and gave up on it before it caught on.

It would be great to have that cheer. It's unique, honoring, and historic. SKI-U-MAH

The cheer team gave up on it too quick in the stadium. They did it with the flags before the marching band pregame and didn't keep trying it like a Matt Limegrover inside zone read running play.

Yet another thing we can't get going until there is a solid fan base. Hell, even Illinois has I-L-L I-N-I and it works. Plus it's better than Boiler up! *toot toot*

I have only done the "Go Big Gold" cheer once ever. Hated it. Ever since I have been saying "Ski-U-Mah" instead. So much better.

Never heard of the 'go big gold' cheer..... not sure anyone outside those within the U know what Ski-U-Mah means

I have only done the "Go Big Gold" cheer once ever. Hated it. Ever since I have been saying "Ski-U-Mah" instead. So much better.

The fact that one of the best academic universities in the nation feels the need to copy someone elses cheer is worse than losing 58-0 in the Big House. The problem is, it is not considered unique to us and the copy of it looks like a lame attempt to be something we're not. Didn't we reject Brewster's "Gopher Nation" because it wasn't unique or fitting? The same goes with having "Gold Outs" & "Go Big Gold" cheers.

Now Ski-U-Mah is very unique, can never be copied, and honors our great history as a state. If that cheer ever caught on, it would get people asking about it and once they researched it, they'd agree, the cheer is Uber Awesome.

The band plays those "Band Cheers" and they always say "Go Big Gold" at the end which is completely stupid and lazy. WE HAVE A 3 SYLLABLE, UNIQUE, COOL CHANT! SKI-U-MAH!

Go Big Gold is not new, it's old. In case you thought it was created recently (like Gold Outs).

We need a unifying cheer that's easy and loud. "Let's Go Gophers" doesn't cut it because every other team that brings a crowd does the same cheer ... but louder ..... "Let's Go Hawkeyes" "Let's Go Badgers" and "Let's Go Bison".

Who dreamed up this "Go Big Gold" crap? Have we ever been known as "Big Gold"? I'm All in favor of ....

SKI-U-MAH​

I always thought this would be great also. You can use the whole stadium with the student sections yelling "U". Home side "Ski", Student section "U", and visiting side/open end "Mah".

I wouldn’t mind Ski-U-Mah …it is unique and right now I would rather have this than...

(Rant… I am embarrassed now about “And that’s another … First Down”. I can’t imagine what this would have been like had Michigan played here. Until we get a potent running game/passing game, can we just shelve this?) End of rant and apologies to the OP.

(Rant… I am embarrassed now about “And that’s another … First Down”. I can’t imagine what this would have been like had Michigan played here. Until we get a potent running game/passing game, can we just shelve this?) End of rant and apologies to the OP.
I'm surprised this topic has never come up on GopherHole.com

I agree that we need to incorporate Ski-U-Mah more, since it's so unique to us. But I don't like how the U has tried, with three parts of the stadium saying one of them.

I also think there's potential around "hats off to thee," from the Rouser. Maybe everybody stands holding their hats in the air at every kickoff (or extra point?) and yells "Ski-U-Mah" when the kicker kicks it. Or hold hats up when the team enters the stadium ... after TD ... or when we hold the other offense on downs. Wait, that last one would never happen.

I know they tried to get the students to take off their hats as the entered the arch which said "hats off to thee", I hadn't heard that it caught on. Maybe less students wear hats in the first place. We seem to be resistant to tradition here at the University of Minnesota. If everyone does it, then we must not. If no one else does it, then we won't do it either. If it is old, we must discard it. It if is new, then we must reject it.

I'm surprised this topic has never come up on GopherHole.com

RimShotJohnnyUtah.jpg

Attachments

• RimShotJohnnyUtah.jpg
    RimShotJohnnyUtah.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0

Top Bottom