Kill Maintains Perspective

Jerry Kill is delusional if he thinks he has more than two years to "turn it around". If he goes 0-8, 2-6, he's gone. A "rough" season is winning 3-4 games, what has gone on so far is a complete disaster on every level.

EG#9 you are stupid. If they only give Kill 2 years there is NO WAY anyone would want this job.

I bet we wish Wisconsin made the decision to fire Alvarez after his first year 1-11, 0-8 season... Maybe after canning Kill we can hire the 49ers defensive backs coach to be our HC, but he can only promise us Capital One Bowls..

EG#9 you are stupid. If they only give Kill 2 years there is NO WAY anyone would want this job.

I don't think I've been called stupid since grade school. You really want to go down the "NO WAY anyone would want this job" route again? We heard that time and time again from Glen Mason fans when the writing was on the wall. There was NO WAY Charlie Strong would coach here, there was NO WAY Gary Patterson would coach here, there was NO WAY Coach X, Y, or Z would coach here. It turned out that a lot of people wanted the job, including Strong and Pelini.

Now, back to my point, if this doesn't get significantly better "they" will fire Jerry Kill. There is a new President in town and there will be a new A.D. in place at some point. You think a new A.D. is going to roll with a head coach who has won 2 Big Ten games in 2 years? Further, Tim Brewster's seat was scorching hot after going 0-8, 3-5, 3-5 in Big Ten play. He BARELY got a 4th year after looking like the toast of the town in year two. Things are not just bad right now, they couldn't get any worse. I certainly don't worry about nobody wanting this job, but I do worry about what happens if what we have seen through 4 games continues through the next 8 games or the next 20 games.

Dick Rod's seat was hot enough to fuse hydrogen after 2 years and he stayed for a 3rd. He had racked up some major NCAA violations as well.

College coaches don't get fired after 2 years unless they rape a cheerleader or something. Kill will get 3 years minimum.

"It's a tough job for tough people, and I'm a tough person," Kill said. "I'll weather through it, and these kids will, and one day I'll get to have a press conference where I'll have a lot of fun and smile. That's the way it's been my whole career, and I don't see it going any different."

Okay, I have to admit how weirdly impressed I am by how stoic he is.

I don't think Jerry Kill will change anything until the players do exactly what he tells them to, every time. I was at Wisconsin during the Alvarez era and that is how it worked and it took a long time. I still remember Terrell Fletcher's first rushing TD because it felt like we'd been trying for years to score on a running play in the red zone and it finally worked.

A better use of everyone's time will be spent trying to identify the players that will make up the cornerstone of the new winning culture. Those who are disciplined, play hurt, play just as hard when they are down by 28 as they did on the opening kickoff. You may as well settle in because this may be about the only fun we're going to have the next two years. It takes a lot of time to find the right guys. The year before the Badgers broke through they gave the ball to a guy named Jason Burns as much as anyone else. He fumbled away the final possession in Evanston in their last game and it kept them from a bowl game. Although he was a junior he never saw the ball again. Enter Brent Moss and the rest is history. They were still finding their guys three years in, and still finishing with losing records.

The coach named one of those guys Saturday, Marcus Jones. Concussion last week, only weighs 170 and getting banged around, still playing in the 4th quarter,

Dick Rod's seat was hot enough to fuse hydrogen after 2 years and he stayed for a 3rd. He had racked up some major NCAA violations as well.

College coaches don't get fired after 2 years unless they rape a cheerleader or something. Kill will get 3 years minimum.

And that's all he will get if he doesn't beat the FCS teams in there nonconference games by year 3.

I was also a Wisconsin fan when Alvarez started (grew up in Wisconsin, then went to the U) its going to be awful the next 2 years as far as results go but you find enjoyment in watching the players develop. Also, as a disclaimer I now hate all things red and am the blacksheep of the family for being the only gopher fan.

So since Kill said that we suck when he arrived, he gets a free pass since he is being proven right? Well this team beat 2 bowl teams to close out last year, teams that won their bowl game! There is no excuse for losing to NMSU, losing by 2 scores to NDSU, and absolutely getting plastered for our worst conference loss in school history.

So since Kill said that we suck when he arrived, he gets a free pass since he is being proven right? Well this team beat 2 bowl teams to close out last year, teams that won their bowl game! There is no excuse for losing to NMSU, losing by 2 scores to NDSU, and absolutely getting plastered for our worst conference loss in school history.

False- This team did not beat Iowa and Illinois. Last years team did. There was a 5th year senior QB on that team. Gray ran a few special plays. They had some experience at some other key postions. Apples and Oranges. Iowa was a 8-5 team and Illinois 7-6. Two inconsistent teams.

Jerry Kill is delusional if he thinks he has more than two years to "turn it around". If he goes 0-8, 2-6, he's gone. A "rough" season is winning 3-4 games, what has gone on so far is a complete disaster on every level.

You are delusional if you think it is going to take anything less than three years. The program is rock bottom and one of the worst in the country.

Phil Miller's comments on 1500ESPN helped to talk me down a bit, it's just so frustrating that the rebuild is going to take 3-4 years after Brewster's 4 years of ineptitude. It's not Kill's fault, the cloud surrounding the program is toxic and going to take serious work and years to lift. i think we all saw the Illinois and Iowa wins as reasons to expect more than losses to NMSU and NDSU but that was false hope at this point (expectations not the fault of Kill).

"Turn it around" to Kill does not mean "Oh hey, we're beating FCS teams again", or barely making bowl games. I'll admit I haven't met the man, but I can guarantee you his perspective is about what needs to be done to turn this into a conference title competitor, not just simply being a 6-6 bowl team. So yes, it's gonna take YEARS to turn this thing around. He's starting at the ground level, we'll see how high he can get.

Analogy: Sometimes a fire will do so much damage to a building that it has to be torn down and rebuilt. In the meantime, GHtards are asking where the glistening skyscraper is.

I don't think I've been called stupid since grade school. You really want to go down the "NO WAY anyone would want this job" route again? We heard that time and time again from Glen Mason fans when the writing was on the wall. There was NO WAY Charlie Strong would coach here, there was NO WAY Gary Patterson would coach here, there was NO WAY Coach X, Y, or Z would coach here. It turned out that a lot of people wanted the job, including Strong and Pelini.

Now, back to my point, if this doesn't get significantly better "they" will fire Jerry Kill. There is a new President in town and there will be a new A.D. in place at some point. You think a new A.D. is going to roll with a head coach who has won 2 Big Ten games in 2 years? Further, Tim Brewster's seat was scorching hot after going 0-8, 3-5, 3-5 in Big Ten play. He BARELY got a 4th year after looking like the toast of the town in year two. Things are not just bad right now, they couldn't get any worse. I certainly don't worry about nobody wanting this job, but I do worry about what happens if what we have seen through 4 games continues through the next 8 games or the next 20 games.

This isn't 2007, we don't have a brand new stadium that everyone wants to coach at.

That was Alvarez's first season as a head coach. Kill is a veteran head coach. You can't compare them. So far, Kill's teams look just plain awful - no fight, no brains - the obvious exceptions being the two QBs and the running backs.

Great Plains Gopher said:
That was Alvarez's first season as a head coach. Kill is a veteran head coach. You can't compare them. So far, Kill's teams look just plain awful - no fight, no brains - the obvious exceptions being the two QBs and the running backs.

The only good player on that team was Troy Vincent. They sucked because they had lousy players other than Troy Vincent. This was because BA followed Don Morton from NDSU who tried to instal the veer which nobody ever bought into - players or recruits - and this left the cupboard bare.

Top Bottom