The gophers will beat purdue

Rosemountian

Reaction score
I think they have less talent than us.
I think Danny hope has 8 games left at purdue.
I think gray will start at QB.
I think kill being at practice will help the focus of this team.

Who's in?

In college football, you never know what team you got from week to week. Sometimes they're up, other times down,
other times reckless, other times timid, other times inspired, etc.....

The Gophers have seen 3-4 different teams show up so far. I think they can beat Purdue, but it depends on what
teams shows up.

On the plus side, a lot of youngsters are getting PT.

Also, teams tend to bounce back from humiliation if the coaches still care and are relevant. I think the team
will be really called out this week.

The two games I have seen part of from purdue were middle tn state and notre dame. Which might explain why I'm so down on purdue.

I think they have less talent than us.
I think Danny hope has 8 games left at purdue.
I think gray will start at QB.
I think kill being at practice will help the focus of this team.

Who's in?

I think Gophers win, but I don't know if they are less talented than us. Especially considering all the talk I've heard on this board about NMSU, NDSU, and Miami being more talented than us.

I think they have a good shot at beating Purdue, and for many of the reasons you've stated. However, you'll forgive me if I don't get excited about the prospect of starting a QB who has failed to play all the snaps in 4 of his teams' 5 games so far due to injury. His actual quarterbacking ability (or lack thereof) aside, one of the major jobs of a starting QB is to actually BE there for you team, to LEAD your team. For all of the knocks on Weber, he was selected Captain 3 years and I'm sure one of the main reasons was because he always answered the bell.

Purdue is not good. I think it will at least be a competitive game. GO GOPHERS!!!!

I don't disagree about gray. He had gotta figure out how to stay healthy. He was banged up last year too if I'm not mistaken. Weber was durable if not anything else.

This team is better with 2 qb's than just Max though.

Purdue is one of a couple of big ten teams who's QB situation might be worse than ours (Ohio state, penn state are the other two).

I don't disagree about gray. He had gotta figure out how to stay healthy. He was banged up last year too if I'm not mistaken. Weber was durable if not anything else.

This team is better with 2 qb's than just Max though.

Purdue is one of a couple of big ten teams who's QB situation might be worse than ours (Ohio state, penn state are the other two).

I actually think Gray could be the more effective QB against a team like Purdue; not as talented, likely not as disciplined on defense. I think that's the kind of team/defense that Gray can be most effective against. Against the upper half of the BT though, I think Gray will prove to be horribly ineffective. Gray does his damage on broken plays; against the good defenses, there just won't be nearly as many opportunities as there were against a team like Miami (OH).

As far as his health; having a dinged up toe is one thing, comes with the territory. But for an athlete in his third year of college, playing at a BCS school, it's virtually inexcusable to not know the basics of hydration and taking care of your body, particularly within 36 hours of game day. And if I'm not mistaken, it happened each of the first two weeks.

If he's the man on Saturday, I'm going to cheer like heck for him. This team needs some good things to happen for a change!!!

Minnesota does not have more talent than Purdue. In fact, it's not really close. I have seen every game for both teams this season as disappointed as the Boilers have played, the Gophers are one of the worst D1 teams I've ever seen. Purdue will likely pound the rock and take advantage of a terrible Gopher D-line. Like last season, I expect Purdue to win comfortably because they're playing at home and should be able to dictate the line of scrimmage. I'm obviously biased by my Sunday night prediction (subject to change based on injury statuses) is Purdue 35-14.

I did say in another thread the gophers are as likely to lose by 30 as they are to win, so I'm not gonna dispute anything you just said. Maybe purdue has much more talent.

I should've also mentioned that the Gophers definitely have a chance to win. I was just giving a shoot from the hip predicition. Nothing more. The line for the game will be in the 8-10 range.

Minnesota does not have more talent than Purdue. In fact, it's not really close. I have seen every game for both teams this season as disappointed as the Boilers have played, the Gophers are one of the worst D1 teams I've ever seen. Purdue will likely pound the rock and take advantage of a terrible Gopher D-line. Like last season, I expect Purdue to win comfortably because they're playing at home and should be able to dictate the line of scrimmage. I'm obviously biased by my Sunday night prediction (subject to change based on injury statuses) is Purdue 35-14.

For the record, not that it matters, but I didn't mean Purdue had less talent than the Gophers; just that they have less talent in general, and especially compared to their last opponent (Michigan).

Let's face it, both teams are a mess right now. To say that Purdue is "significantly" better than the Gophers is probably a stretch. Then again, I've always been one to do what it takes to make yourself feel better about something so by all means, run with it if that's what works.

nmsu was the bellwether
not even certain we could beat the ATO house in intramural flag right now

setback football 50 years?

I wish we could set back gopher football 50 years-- can you imagine being in the middle of the 1961 season right now instead of the nightmare season we are having

I wish we could set back gopher football 50 years-- can you imagine being in the middle of the 1961 season right now instead of the nightmare season we are having

Good point. Being set back 50 years would actually be pretty awesome, plus it would mean a Rose Bowl next year!

This will be the best Purdue looks all year guaranteed. We will give Purdue's QB easy throws to make all game by staying about 5-7 yards off the receiver so they can pick up easy slants and stops all game, and the reason I know this will happen is because we have done it all year. Unless some miracle happens and our coaches decided to come up with a gameplan or scheme to get the few talented players on the roster into a position to succeed or the players decided they actually want to play football, we will lose and it probably won't be close.

Drunk Gopher makes a good point. I'd add to it by saying that the Gophers have given up points on EVERY opening drive this year, that means we are very likely to start out behind on the road which is not a good thing. If the Gophers are going to win, Gray has to be the best player on the field again and I am not sure he's capable of that with the toe injury.

Yeah, maybe I should've said 100 years.

1911, 6-0-1, 3-0-1 in the Big Ten, Big Ten champions. Sounds good to me. Seriously though, as embarrassing as a huge loss is, it's just a loss. The only real impact is if recruits see that and back away from the Gophers or if it breaks the spirit of the team for the rest of the season.

Drunk Gopher makes a good point. I'd add to it by saying that the Gophers have given up points on EVERY opening drive this year, that means we are very likely to start out behind on the road which is not a good thing. If the Gophers are going to win, Gray has to be the best player on the field again and I am not sure he's capable of that with the toe injury.

This is a problem with our weak D. They allow very average CFB players to have career days.

We need to rely on inexperienced QB's, behind a very weak OL, to carry the team. Or maybe two or three huge plays by the Special Teams.

We should stop deferring when we win the Toss

I didn't get deferring to the second half. The Gophers defense had done very badly in the first half of games, but better in the second half. Deferring to the second half just put a horrible defense on the field sooner than you had to.

Two goals for this Saturday versus Purdue (from my point of view)
1) Don't burn unnecessary redshirts, ESPECIALLY with the OL
2) Find out WHO wants to be here

The Gophers CAN win, but I don't expect them to. The OL doesn't help whoever the QB is in passing situations. But I'll still tune in & cheer them on. And I always will....it's easier than trying to find a noose to fit around my large neck.

I do think we'll see two teams play really hard though....I think both teams know that their best opportunity for a Big Ten win may be this Saturday.

Purdue's offense is way worst than ours. The quarterback did worst against Notre Dame at home and Shortell not even our starting quarterback did way better than him against Michigan at the big house. I think our offense will beat them with gray just running the crap out of them and if he can get a into a flow of passing their offense will do very well. As for the defense i just hope they themselves can bounce back and just play for pride and show Minnesota that they can win a game. They did it against Matt Barkley and I think they will show that defense they used at USC just by that loss against Michigan. They will come out playing harder than ever. If they don't come out and play then we will still have a slim chance but it will be a shootout. I just hope they can pull this off and technically be .500 in the Big ten so far which in the reality just looking at the record at the time would be an okay start for Jerry Kill to go into Nebraska and somehow out of luck come close or even upset Nebraska.

Wow...nobody has watched Purdue play this year. Are they good? No...but they beat a pretty terrible team 59-0 & we lost to a pretty terrible team 28-21. I watched Purdue & ND...they didn't look horrible like we do but they just didn't look good. We're comparing a team that was a last second FG away from being 3-1 to our on field tragedy.

Could we win? I think we have a *GOOD* chance but I've lost faith in another win this season.

Top Bottom