Kill blames players in the Startribune today.

nasa35

Reaction score
Pretty sick of him making it even worse. Just what they need...maybe homespun Kill should lay on a sword and show something to his players. How can they even want to play for someone who just runs them over.

THIS IS A POORLY coached team. The blame starts and ends with the leader.

Yup. It was Limegrover who was out on the field letting our frosh QB get smoked every pass play.

It was Claeys fault who can't seem to stay on his feet when sneezed at by an OL.

It's all Sawvel's fault for making blatant holds on EVERY kick off return.

Pretty sick of him making it even worse. Just what they need...maybe homespun Kill should lay on a sword and show something to his players. How can they even want to play for someone who just runs them over.

Coach Kill has placed plenty of blame on himself. Just in case you haven't been following things, Coach Kill doesn't sugar coat things and has been very transparent. As I posted in another thread, its time for the players to do a self-analysis with their part in this debacle and get it in gear. Especially the Sr's. Coach Kill has called them out and for a reason.

Sorry, but it IS on the players. Poor execution, mental mistakes etc., are the fault of the players. Show some friggin pride already, these clowns just up and quit yesterday.

Seems like you read and hear what you want to. Stuff that doesn't help your argument go unmentioned. Nice job.

Easy for you to say, coaches are colored with the same brush.

Would you want to play for a coach that is constantly throwing you under the bus? And for coordinators that tell you your slow, not fast enough,
not strong enough, not good enough for the Big10 when the coordinators are big and fat and have not missed any meals, and everything they tell the players not to be? Has there game plan
and scheme been good enough against New Mexico State, North Dakota State, and now 58-0 Michigan beat down, no it hasn't. The health factors have compounded the problem.
First and foremost the head coach, he needs to take care of himself, the program may be in trouble but
he needs to get himself squared away first and foremost,health wise before he can even attempt to fix this mess. These coaches seem to forget the part that you have to motivate the existing guy's to want to play, not just tell them they are no good.

That and the head coach constantly points to the one player he recruited Marcus Jones,
and holds him out there like a shiny new " puppy" look at this, this is the one guy I recruited and he is the best player in the program. May be true, but some things should not be constantly blurted out to the media and are not NEED To Know, why create cliques and divides in the locker room if you do not have too. Looks bad to the old dogs even if you think your doing the right thing in sending a message that you want them gone and it especially looks bad to the one dog that might actually be able to elevate you and get you some wins and some credibility.

Coaching is also take bad and and going wrong and make better, incremental improvement, show something, a little extra effort in rewarding extract effort, you can do that with existing players with out breaking them down to the point of blaming them for the entire failure. Coaches have to be better too, not just the players at some point you have to create a relationship that makes them want to play for you and get better. You don't think these players have any PRIDE, BS they have pride, what they don't have is belief right now that what they are doing is right. That is our biggest downfall, we lack belief that what we are practicing and trying will help us win, we don't just lack play makers there are some in the ranks what we lack is belief this is going anywhere.

Would you want to play for a coach that is constantly throwing you under the bus? And for coordinators that tell you your slow, not fast enough,
not strong enough, not good enough for the Big10 when the coordinators are big and fat and have not missed any meals, and everything they tell the players not to be? Has there game plan
and scheme been good enough against New Mexico State, North Dakota State, and now 58-0 Michigan beat down, no it hasn't. The health factors have compounded the problem.
First and foremost the head coach, he needs to take care of himself, the program may be in trouble but
he needs to get himself squared away first and foremost,health wise before he can even attempt to fix this mess. These coaches seem to forget the part that you have to motivate the existing guy's to want to play, not just tell them they are no good.

That and the head coach constantly points to the one player he recruited Marcus Jones,
and holds him out there like a shiny new " puppy" look at this, this is the one guy I recruited and he is the best player in the program. May be true, but some things should not be constantly blurted out to the media and are not NEED To Know, why create cliques and divides in the locker room if you do not have too. Looks bad to the old dogs even if you think your doing the right thing in sending a message that you want them gone and it especially looks bad to the one dog that might actually be able to elevate you and get you some wins and some credibility.

Coaching is also take bad and and going wrong and make better, incremental improvement, show something, a little extra effort in rewarding extract effort, you can do that with existing players with out breaking them down to the point of blaming them for the entire failure. Coaches have to be better too, not just the players at some point you have to create a relationship that makes them want to play for you and get better. You don't think these players have any PRIDE, BS they have pride, what they don't have is belief right now that what they are doing is right. That is our biggest downfall, we lack belief that what we are practicing and trying will help us win, we don't just lack play makers there are some in the ranks what we lack is belief this is going anywhere.

+1

Yup. It was Limegrover who was out on the field letting our frosh QB get smoked every pass play.

It was Claeys fault who can't seem to stay on his feet when sneezed at by an OL.

It's all Sawvel's fault for making blatant holds on EVERY kick off return.

Well the problem is when you see an offensive linen just getting bullrushed and ending on his rear, you know it is footwork. Which is one of the easier things to correct. Yet the guys are not being corrected. That is concerning.

THIS

"The principles when you turn programs around -- No. 1 is discipline. And we're not a disciplined group," Kill said. "That's not blaming the kids, that's the coach."

The Gophers committed nine penalties, costing 74 yards. It's the third time in five games they've been flagged eight or more times.

"Coach Kill let us know we are a very undisciplined team," said senior cornerback Kyle Henderson. "People are beginning to really look at ourselves in the mirror and decide how much we want this."

The record is replete with Kill and his staff taking the fall for the Gopher's poor performances.There is plenty of blame to go around and it seems that much of the problem is with the
players on the field making mistakes at critical junctures and failing again and again to
execute what they've been taught. Player attitude and leadership is another thing that could
use some improvement.

THIS

"The principles when you turn programs around -- No. 1 is discipline. And we're not a disciplined group," Kill said. "That's not blaming the kids, that's the coach."

The Gophers committed nine penalties, costing 74 yards. It's the third time in five games they've been flagged eight or more times.

"Coach Kill let us know we are a very undisciplined team," said senior cornerback Kyle Henderson. "People are beginning to really look at ourselves in the mirror and decide how much we want this."

To me, that sounds like we'll be seeing mass transfers coming our way soon. They may start very soon. I can't see cleaning house is the wrong way to go, but we can only add so many guys per year and we're almost an entire class short already. So maybe this is all a plan by Macturi to only have to have like 70 guys on scholarships for a few years to save money. :)

I'll start with this, the staff is absolutely rippable for what's happened. But don't you think that part of Kill's method for "throwing players under the bus" is motivation? If someone told me I wasn't good enough, I'd work my a$$ off to prove them wrong. That's part of being a tough, hard-nosed individual. Unfortunately, our upperclassmen have taken the opposite approach and rolled over.

Kill has taken his share of the blame for what's gone wrong. He's come out and said they've been out-coached in some games. What would you like him to say about the players, that he has all the pieces in place for a Rose Bowl run? That we're "close?" He's calling it like he sees it.

I'll start with this, the staff is absolutely rippable for what's happened. But don't you think that part of Kill's method for "throwing players under the bus" is motivation? If someone told me I wasn't good enough, I'd work my a$$ off to prove them wrong. That's part of being a tough, hard-nosed individual. Unfortunately, our upperclassmen have taken the opposite approach and rolled over.

Kill has taken his share of the blame for what's gone wrong. He's come out and said they've been out-coached in some games. What would you like him to say about the players, that he has all the pieces in place for a Rose Bowl run? That we're "close?" He's calling it like he sees it.

i have been a coach for 13 years and i have never found the negative motivational tactic work for a team. i have seen it work for individuals but never have i had it work for a group. you are part of that 5% that take the negative to prove the world wrong! kill needs to start making these kids believe in themselves, i dont see that from these kids

i have been a coach for 13 years and i have never found the negative motivational tactic work for a team. i have seen it work for individuals but never have i had it work for a group. you are part of that 5% that take the negative to prove the world wrong! kill needs to start making these kids believe in themselves, i dont see that from these kids

I can relate to your comments lakes as I have been in both situations as a player and coach. But that was a long time ago and a lot of things have changed. When I played and if I was called out by my coach, I would buckle it up and go to work. Same with my players. when I had the whistle.

I am surpised by all the dismay with Coach Kill's methods. He has been very upfront with everybody and has pulled no punches. His team has to know where he is coming from.

Coach Kill has been successful doing what he does. I doubt he has changed and he has said that. So if his style has been throwing kids under the bus at his previous stops, so be it. Whatever he has done in the past has worked.

Brewster had no track record when he came here. Mason was a mediocre(sp) coach prior to taking the Gopher gig and that played it self out in Minny.

We have a coach that has been successful with his methods. We have read volumes telling us how demanding he is on his players and also how much they love the guy. Are Minnesota players any different? I would say there are some that are. That is normal with a new regime.

This is Coach Kills way of cleaning the closet and getting they type of player he knows will fit in. In the meantime, fasten the seatbelt as we will likely be in for a rough ride.

The players Brew recruited appear to be very VERY soft.... were promised this and that and if they came to Minn they'd go to the Rose bowl... and never got it, so they don't try or care. No heart. Kill's recruits will have that, it's already shown (Jones, Moulton)

I can relate to your comments lakes as I have been in both situations as a player and coach. But that was a long time ago and a lot of things have changed. When I played and if I was called out by my coach, I would buckle it up and go to work. Same with my players. when I had the whistle.

I am surpised by all the dismay with Coach Kill's methods. He has been very upfront with everybody and has pulled no punches. His team has to know where he is coming from.

Coach Kill has been successful doing what he does. I doubt he has changed and he has said that. So if his style has been throwing kids under the bus at his previous stops, so be it. Whatever he has done in the past has worked.

Brewster had no track record when he came here. Mason was a mediocre(sp) coach prior to taking the Gopher gig and that played it self out in Minny.

We have a coach that has been successful with his methods. We have read volumes telling us how demanding he is on his players and also how much they love the guy. Are Minnesota players any different? I would say there are some that are. That is normal with a new regime.

This is Coach Kills way of cleaning the closet and getting they type of player he knows will fit in. In the meantime, fasten the seatbelt as we will likely be in for a rough ride.

i think kills approach is a poor choice. i have coached some very good teams and some very bad teams. i always undersold the good teams so they continued to work and lied to my bad teams to make them believe we could compete. kids have to believe and i think kill has beaten the idea into our teams head that we arent good enough to compete. that is my only beef with kill, after 1 thing goes wrong these kids lose their focus because i think they believe kill is right and they are too slow, they are too weak, too small, etc

kill doesnt have to say that this program isnt a work in progress but he also doesnt have to beat these kids down before they get beat on the field-just my opinion

please don't feed the Trolls!

They are out in full force once again.

They are out in full force once again.

ppl that dont agree are trolls? are ppl that disagree with your religion trolls? politics? get off your high horse ppl are venting and debating things about OUR favorite team...its not being a "troll"

Here's a quote from the Strib. I don't see how this blames the kids:

The difference in physical abilities, he can live with. It's the mental mistakes that bothered Kill.

"They're a bigger, stronger, faster football team right now than we are. I'm not going to french-coat anything," Kill said of 19th-ranked Michigan. "If a team is more athletic than you are, then you better be very mentally sharp. You can't make mental mistakes."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/130919998.html

-1 wrong

Two monumental mistakes being made by too many fans right now:

First; Why would anybody assume that what Kill says in the media is the same message that is being driven home every day in practice, all week long, every week. For the most part, players aren't stupid. They are going MUCH more with what happens in practice than a few blurbs in the media.

Second; People who make comments that basically indicate they are assuming they know what's going on in the locker room couldn't do a more effective job of showing just how ignorant they are. You have no clue what's going on in that locker room. Period. The only benefit of people making statements like these is it makes it a lot easier to know who's comments and opinions should be completely ignored.

:D Yeah, ok. Not one player on this team is worthy of playing for Kill.

All bow down to the mighty Kill.:D:p:clap:

To me, that sounds like we'll be seeing mass transfers coming our way soon. They may start very soon. I can't see cleaning house is the wrong way to go, but we can only add so many guys per year and we're almost an entire class short already. So maybe this is all a plan by Macturi to only have to have like 70 guys on scholarships for a few years to save money. :)

The good news is we are on pace to replace all of these transfers with the lowest ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten. I know, I know, Kill will coach 'em up.

Top Bottom