How long will Eric Kaler

#93fanclub

Reaction score
sit back and continue to watch the carnage? When he got the job as President, we were told and now understand that he is a big Gopher football fan. I really hope that is true because if it is, he's one of us. If he is one of us, he's feeling sick to his stomach like we are. The President is the leader of the organization. Responsibility for the program ultimately lies with him. After watching the Red teams last night and seeing the caliber of talent on those teams, the ability to recruit and coach......crap, I can't even finish the sentence. I can just hear every other coach in the Big Ten telling recruits even thinking of Minnesota about Coach Kill's health issues. So, President Kaler, how much longer can you stand it?

Kaler, like Coach Kill, probably didn't realize how bad it was when he took the job.

Thanks Joel.

Football is the engine that makes the athletic department go. If the new prez realizes this then Joel should be gone ASAP

Perhaps one VERY positive thing the student section could start doing...

would be to start chanting "...fire macturi...fire the a.d...." each and every time he appears on the jumbo at TCF BANK STADIUM, THE BARN, or at our HOCKEY PALACE. (Sometimes the Men's Hockey Fans have a bit of a superiority complex...and need to be reminded that the Men's Revenue Sports are ALL in this thing together!)

; 0 )

A very strong message MUST be sent to prexy k that we have had too much of badger joel macturi for too long and that our highest profile sports are all struggling mighitly under bjm's direction.

"...fire macturi...fire the a.d." chants at all Men's Hoops, Men's Hockey and Football Games could go a LONG way to get that message to prexy k.

Too much is just TOO much. It is time to get the ball rollin!

Football is the engine that makes the athletic department go. If the new prez realizes this then Joel should be gone ASAP

I wonder if President Kaler will say "we want to go in a different direction", or "thank you Joel Maturi for your years of outstanding service to the University of Minnesota."

I wonder if President Kaler will say "we want to go in a different direction", or "thank you Joel Maturi for your years of outstanding service to the University of Minnesota."
How about a simple "Get the F out"?

I'm sorry, but I think people are so naive about the new "Eric Kaler" factor. Who does President Kaler answer to, and what do those people value? Take a look at the membership of the Senate and House Higher Education Committees, the membership on the Regent Board, and Mark Dayton, and you will see that President Kaler will see that he has bigger fish to fry than wins and losses on Saturday.

I'm guessing that football, basketball, the baseball stadium, etc will never be a topic of conversation from those who the president answers to. But I think three sports issues will be on the table and Kaler will be expected to deal with them or take heat:

1. Fixing the golf mess and making sure there is never a sexual preference discrimination allegation in the Star Tribune.
2. Muzzling J Robinson's comments about women's sports and maybe finding cause to dismiss him.
3. And a distant 3rd at that... fixing hockey.

Kaler will never take heat for a poor football team, unless it involves buying out coaches or players getting arrested- especially for sex crimes. Would Kevin Reilly have to answer questions at Wisconsin if the football team takes a nose dive?

Well, maybe you are right and maybe you are wrong akgopher. BUT, we can try to make is a little bit MORE uncomfortable up there in the ivory tower for prexy's, governors and other muckety-mucks...

;0 )

And, IF the wisky football program taks a severe nose-dive...I'd be wiling to bet that there would be hell to pay in wisky. Just watch the fall-out in Columbus IF the football club in Ann Arbor starts owning the football club in Columbus during the next five to ten years. Football matters once a university makes themistake of becoming a POWER. Taking away that enitlement from a little state like wisky once some power has been achieved can become an ugly, nasty business once the people get hooked on being more than competetive.

Yes, I do think Kevin Reilly would have a LOT of "splaining..." to do as Ricky Ricardo would have told Lucy if suddenly wisky football started tanking it and getting beat by 58-0 scores. Just keep a close eye on what happens in Columbus should their dominance over Ann Arbor cease to exist and it went too far the other way.

I'm guessing there will be a new athletic director. Kaler has a lot of big fish to fry as akgopher has aptly pointed out, but I think he will likely see that a clean slate is needed at the top of the athletic department. I don't hold Maturi at the level of disdain that many in here do, but there comes a time when it's logical for things to turn over and that time has come.

my guess is even though there is talk of Maturi staying on after his current contract runs out that he will be done. the university will let him save face and go with the mutual parting of ways but a new AD will be brought in and the process probably has already begun.

Maturi should be and forced out today. If he had any pride, he'd leave on his own two feet, but we all know the answer to that. The fact is that the big 3 sports (football, basketball, and hockey) have all underachieved during his watch. It's time to move on and get someone that loves the "U" and has a total commitment to turning around the football program, even if it means cancelling other title 9 sports.

Title IX sports can only be cancelled IF at least as many men's scholarships...

are cancelled. So, my guess is that non-revenue men's sports would need to go first if you want to go that route. Perhaps that's why the badgers dropped baseball first?

maturi should not be allowed to "save face" in any form when he leaves. the U of M owes it to the minnesota public to publicly force him to resign, make him eat some crow publicly for once, and walk the long walk of shame of having been fired/forced to resign. not the administratively cozy approach of letting him leave gracefully and via a "mutual" parting of the ways.

I'm sorry, but I think people are so naive about the new "Eric Kaler" factor. Who does President Kaler answer to, and what do those people value? Take a look at the membership of the Senate and House Higher Education Committees, the membership on the Regent Board, and Mark Dayton, and you will see that President Kaler will see that he has bigger fish to fry than wins and losses on Saturday.

I'm guessing that football, basketball, the baseball stadium, etc will never be a topic of conversation from those who the president answers to. But I think three sports issues will be on the table and Kaler will be expected to deal with them or take heat:

1. Fixing the golf mess and making sure there is never a sexual preference discrimination allegation in the Star Tribune.
2. Muzzling J Robinson's comments about women's sports and maybe finding cause to dismiss him.

Kaler will never take heat for a poor football team, unless it involves buying out coaches or players getting arrested- especially for sex crimes. Would Kevin Reilly have to answer questions at Wisconsin if the football team takes a nose dive?
That would be a dumb decision.

are cancelled. So, my guess is that non-revenue men's sports would need to go first if you want to go that route. Perhaps that's why the badgers dropped baseball first?

Exactly. Can anyone tell me the record of the men's swimming or golf teams last year? Has anyone ever even watched these? We need to be willing to sacrifice all of these sacred cows and pour the money and resources into the Big 3 (football, basketball, hockey), the only sports 99% of Minnesotans care about.

How about putting pressure on Congress to apply Title IX only to sports that both men and women play? Or Minn could drop football - don't think that some of the politically correct-to-a-fault leadership types in this state wouldn't favor that at some point in the future. U leadership has closed General College and is working toward a time when most undergraduates will be from out of state - all part of the elitist "research university" model.

It would only be fitting to run Jump'n Joel out of town before his contract is up. Remember, he's the same idiot that gave Mason and Brew contract extensions only to fire them shortly thereafter.

Don't we have the lowest football budget in the Big 10? Exactly how do we overcome the problems that are inherent in a low budget program?

Wisconsin cut baseball because of a huge budget deficit.

How about putting pressure on Congress to apply Title IX only to sports that both men and women play? Or Minn could drop football - don't think that some of the politically correct-to-a-fault leadership types in this state wouldn't favor that at some point in the future. U leadership has closed General College and is working toward a time when most undergraduates will be from out of state - all part of the elitist "research university" model.

You mean the same elitist "research university" model that has made Michigan football so terrible all these years?

I realize these numbers are a year old (look towards the bottom of the article). Did we improve that much in the past year to put us in the middle?

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/06/29/big-spending-ohio-state-could-change-nickname-to-bucks-eyes/

Per this: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

the expenses of the Big Ten teams in 2009 were:

1. Ohio State $31.7m
2. Wisconsin $22.0m
3. Penn State $19.8m
4. Iowa $18.5m
5. Michigan $18.3m
6. Michigan State $17.5m
7. Minnesota $17.4m
8. Northwestern $15.7m
9. Indiana $12.8m
10. Purdue $11.8m
11. Illinois $11.1m

The revenues of the Big Ten teams in 2009 were:

1. Penn State $70.2m
2. Ohio State $63.8m
3. Michigan $63.2m
4. Iowa $45.9m
5. Michigan State $44.5m
6. Wisconsin $38.7m
7. Minnesota $32.3m
8. Illinois $25.3m
9. Northwestern $22.7m
10. Indiana $21.8m
11. Purdue $18.1m

Wisconsin did cut baseball, but that's misleading, Wisconsin has men's soccer, which Minnesota doesn't have.

Dismiss J. Robinson...are you insane! J. runs the most successful athletic program that the Gophers have enjoyed over the past two decades. Maybe the football program, and other programs, could stand to learn a thing or two from J. -- discipline, commitment, resolve, work ethic, winning attitude, consistency -- just like the Navy Seals have from their time spent working with J and the wrestling program. Frankly, I'm tired on hearing that the problem with the major revenue sports is the non-revenue sports, which is an absolutely ridiculous notion. Last I looked, Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, and Nebraska have darn good non-revenue sports programs, in addition to their major programs. It's NOT an either or proposition.

And yes, I am a former Gopher Wrestler and damn proud of it!

Go Gophers!

Don't we have the lowest football budget in the Big 10? Exactly how do we overcome the problems that are inherent in a low budget program?

don't think its a budget problem yet. we're losing to programs which have far fewer resources than does UMinn. looks more like incompetence. i'm sticking with controlled flight into ground, but the pilot survives

I'm guessing there will be a new athletic director. Kaler has a lot of big fish to fry as akgopher has aptly pointed out, but I think he will likely see that a clean slate is needed at the top of the athletic department. I don't hold Maturi at the level of disdain that many in here do, but there comes a time when it's logical for things to turn over and that time has come.

I agree. Not a Maturi hater like most rubes are, but I completely agree that it's time to start fresh (new president, new football coaching staff..).

Dismiss J. Robinson...are you insane! J. runs the most successful athletic program that the Gophers have enjoyed over the past two decades. Maybe the football program, and other programs, could stand to learn a thing or two from J. -- discipline, commitment, resolve, work ethic, winning attitude, consistency -- just like the Navy Seals have from their time spent working with J and the wrestling program. Frankly, I'm tired on hearing that the problem with the major revenue sports is the non-revenue sports, which is an absolutely ridiculous notion. Last I looked, Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, and Nebraska have darn good non-revenue sports programs, in addition to their major programs. It's NOT an either or proposition.

And yes, I am a former Gopher Wrestler and damn proud of it!

Go Gophers!

Well said!!

I do think that Maturi needs to retire, if only because he's become a distraction. If he comes back next year, the hiring process should begin as soon as possible. Give him his gold watch and move on.

Top Bottom