New coaching staff, new "system" cliches....

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
Brady Hoke is also a 1st year coach and he sure isn't having problems getting his players to adjust to his "system". Yeah, yeah, yeah, I realize he's got more talent to work with but that's not the point. I would like to know what is so different about Kill's "system"? Why can Michigan players (who have been very ordinary the past 2-3 years) adjust so well and Gopher players look like they've never played football before?

I'll hang up and listen.....

Forget it. Doogie already told me kill doesn't use gimmicks, I'm sold.

Brady Hoke is also a 1st year coach and he sure isn't having problems getting his players to adjust to his "system". Yeah, yeah, yeah, I realize he's got more talent to work with but that's not the point. I would like to know what is so different about Kill's "system"? Why can Michigan players (who have been very ordinary the past 2-3 years) adjust so well and Gopher players look like they've never played football before?

Great question. This season I was looking for improvement from game to game and right now I don't see it at all.

It doesn't matter what system we are running right now, we don't have the players to be successful. The thing you gotta see is improvement and spots that work. Gotta try and take advantage of the talent you do have.

We suck in every phase of the game. Can't even return a kick without a penalty. Had plenty of practice.

You're talking about a team that went to a Bowl Game last year & had an explosive Offense. What has Brady Hoke changed? Denard still runs the same type of plays he did last year & Michigan still hasn't played anybody good & if you watched them under Rich Rod you'd know it's too early to crown them for anything...

Brady Hoke didn't take over a disaster...Kill did...

You're talking about a team that went to a Bowl Game last year & had an explosive Offense. What has Brady Hoke changed? Denard still runs the same type of plays he did last year & Michigan still hasn't played anybody good & if you watched them under Rich Rod you'd know it's too early to crown them for anything...

Brady Hoke didn't take over a disaster...Kill did...
The pile of excuses needs to end, this program and its fans need a roadmap for how were going to outcompete other teams in the Legends division running a traditional offense and defense.

The pile of excuses needs to end, this program and its fans need a roadmap for how were going to outcompete other teams in the Leaders division running a traditional offense and defense.
Step 1: Give the head coach more than 1 season

Were talking vision, goals and action plans, fans need more than hope and patience.

It's not about what some impatient fans need...it's about what's best for the program... Wisconsin looked *HORRIBLE* Alvarez's first year... & look where his vision, goals & plans lead them to. You 'instant gratification' types are the worst...

This appears to be the all negative post, must be in the wrong place. Kill forgot to check with you guys on how to coach. Someone must have forgot to let you in on the vision, goals, and action plan. This normally is known as a play book and not commonly shared with the general public, especially those who want to see you fail. I hope the sun rises tomorrow

This appears to be the all negative post, must be in the wrong place. Kill forgot to check with you guys on how to coach. Someone must have forgot to let you in on the vision, goals, and action plan. This normally is known as a play book and not commonly shared with the general public, especially those who want to see you fail. I hope the sun rises tomorrow
Yes, that's correct I asked for the playbook. Who wants to see Jerry Kill fail? I don't but part of being a fan is trying to figure out where we are going (even in year 1). Also, I'd like the hear your Pollyanna vision in regards to your faith in beating other teams in our division at their own game.

So how does the coaching staff determine who to show the playbook to?

Step 2: Fire Joel Maturi

(something we've been begging for.... for about 6 years) If you want to change the culture, it needs to start there, obviously. He's so satisfied with losing, as long as he's below budget and the Rowing team is well funded and proud..... he sincerely does not care about Gopher Football and treated Glen Mason like a rent-a-coach, wouldn't seal him a contract extension after great seasons and that's why our recruiting faltered under him (even tho' he had JJ Watt and Greg Jones committed before they canned him.)

That punter looks pretty good.

On this team now, who could start for Michigan? Maybe Oreske.

It's a fair question but I don't really think comparing MN and Mich is ever going to be very apt. They are two very different situations.

Our problem is that we lack talent, experience, and proper coaching.

Michigan, they are as talented as any team in the Big 10. Talent isn't an issue and never was.

Lastly, Michigan is not where they want to be as a program. Since RichRod was hired, we have more Big 10 wins than Michigan. For their talent level and type of program they are, the fact that they will not be one of the favorites to win the Big 10 this year is mostly due to them having new schemes.

It's actually not that complicated....when you walk into non-helmet schools who are struggling a bit, it usually takes awhile (Ferentz and Alvarez combines 0-16 in their first season in the Big 10). However, a good coach can walk into a helmet school and make a much more immedite impact (Urban Meyer FL, Nick Saban AL, etc.).

To keep it simple, the difference is between cleaning a house and building a house.

How much did Hoke change the schemes that RichRod had been running in Ann Arbor for the last few year?

How much did Hoke change the schemes that RichRod had been running in Ann Arbor for the last few year?

Quite a bit actually. This Michigan team's base offense and defense are a lot more like the Michigan teams under Lloyd Carr while RichRod's base sets were spread and 3-3-5.

Every coach who takes over a big time program will morph their base sets a little to fit with their players, because their players are so talented. You saw this with the Chris Leak led Gators under Meyer. They ran Urban's offense, but not exclusively like they did with Tebow.

But in general, RichRod and Hoke have completely different schemes.

I don't know why I looked at the comment thread in the Strib today, but I am getting really sick of people calling for Kill's head this early. We all talk about the examples of college football coaches who needed a few years to get situated with their team, but there is always that guy who says that it shouldn't matter and we should be winning all these games already. Since this is Minnesota and most people know some hockey I figured I would look up some hockey coaches who took historic teams that were at a low point and see how long it took them to put a winning team together.

What stood out to me was how Dean freaking Blais needed a few years to pull UND out of the cellar and make them a power hockey team again. When one of the best if not the best college hockey coach out there needs a few years to see a major change in a team, why do people expect coach Kill and the Gophers to suddenly be a freaking Big Ten contender?

Sorry for venting, but it was a long weekend.

Who expected the gophers to be a big ten contender?
Who has called for kills head?

I haven't noticed it much on here, I was reacting more on the comments on the Strib and PP. After every game it's the same thing, Kill needs to call it quits, time to start looking for a new coach, etc.

Top Bottom