Question for OL wonks.

balds

Reaction score
Is it as simple as we are jus not strong/athletic or talented enough? Or is there something technique/scheme related that contributes to our futility? Until our line play improves we will not have a prayer of winning a game, in my opinion.

When your 5th-year senior right guard gets knocked straight back on his ass off the snap of the ball...it's pretty clear they're outmatched physically.

We have some mental lapses that cause schematic breakdowns, but the majority of breakdowns are physical IMO.

I don't know what others think, but right now Gjery should not be starting, unless the philosophy is to play the young guys which I am ok with. He is not ready though.

I don't know what others think, but right now Gjery should not be starting, unless the philosophy is to play the young guys which I am ok with. He is not ready though.
Unless they are saving guys for redshirts, there has gotta be a younger guy capable of playing better than he is.

It takes time to build a solid line and depth. The Badgers lost 3 seniors who are starting in the nfl as rookies,( Hell, Bill Nagy did not start at Wisconsin and he is the Cowboys starting left guard, ok, bad analogy) they simply reload and dominate. This takes time to build a program like that. I agree, both sides of the line are a huge issue and that's where game is won and lost.

Its both ability and technique...which leaves little hope for a good outcome. Young players are both challenged with stronger/quicker defensive linemen, but that can be mitigated with great technique. When you are both out manned by a defensive player who is bigger/stronger/quicker and your technique is deficient, you are screwed...see our O line and D line.

We have a lot of line talent in the pipeline and for the most part are holding that talent for redshirts, which we need to do. That said, I would not be surprised to see this upcoming recruiting class have just as many line recruits as the last class...we are that much in need to turn this program around. I think next year will be almost as bad as this year...wont be till year three that we will see some fruit off this tree IMO.

Our O-line has 18 player on squad - 3 redshirt seniors (3 recruits), 3 redshirt sophomores (2 recruits with 1 out for season injuried & 1 walkon), 5 redshirt freshman (4 recruits & 1 walkon), and 7 true freshman (6 recruits with most ready to play injuried & 1 walkon ). The problem is 3 OL man that are juniors/seniors, we do not have experience and maturity to compete with 4 and 5 year DL men. Zero OL from recruiting class of 2008 leaves a hugh void. 12 freshman of 18 that had not played in a college game prior to start of season. Coaches have no choice but to play freshman and walkons due to numbers. If coaches can keep young linemen healthy things will inprove. Need to continue to recruit linemen each year to avoid problems like this year.

Take a check on the rosters of the top 15 teams in the country. There will be younger kids in the skill positions, but MOST of the lines are 3rd 4th and 5th yr. players... And usually not many 3rd yr. kids. A 300 lb. 19 yr. old is alot different than a 22 yr. old that has 3-4 yrs in the wt room and big time conditioning. Even if the younger kid is fundamentally sound he will have a hard time.

Top Bottom