Something I Don't Get About People Turning On JERRY KILL...

thailleagle

Reaction score
Kill specifically said before the beginning of the season that we lacked in a lot of areas & that this is going to be a rough season. He obviously saw something during spring training or whatever that made him come to this conclusion. The "Experts" picked us to win 1 or 2 games. Between Kill saying it was going to be a rough season (as opposed to Brew selling us a Rose Bowl Dream before he ever called a play) & the Experts picking us to finish last in the Big Ten...why is anyone shocked how awful we are? Why is anyone mad at Kill? He didn't lie about anything & it has to be something deeper with this team then just X's & O's that comes down to something he can't seem to get rid of overnight whether it's how the players attitudes are or whatever you have to keep in mind that these players were under Brewster for years & with ZERO previous HC-ing Experience there's no telling what wrong fundamentals or wrong mentalities have been conditioned in these players under him. You can't change that overnight let alone in 5 games.

We have the same issues as last year...inconsistent QB Play, Vanilla Defense, Poor Tackling, Poor Basic Fundamentals, Lack Of Discipline & an O-Line that couldn't stop a Pee-Wee League Pass Rush. I can't even say we're getting worse from week to week because Michigan's Denard Robinson is a very rare talent & is a headache to any Defense let alone a horrible one like ours. We couldn't stop Denard...but this game should prepare Kill & Co. for Nebraska's Martinez & Wisconsin now because now we've seen a mobile QB. 58 points hurt but so does 55 (Iowa 2008) or 45 (OSU 2006) but these things happen.

If you think Jerry Kill is a bad coach then go watch the 2 games we've played against him & explain to me why his NIU Teams had none of the issues ours does. Go watch the games he's coached against Ohio State to Illinois to Purdue to Wisconsin & explain to me why those NIU Teams that were *HIS PLAYERS*...running *HIS SYSTEM FOR YEARS* look a thousand times better then our U of M Team...

Matter of fact...just re-watch the NIU-Minnesota Game last year at TCF & tell me this guy is the problem. His 2007 team went 2-10 & lost to Toledo of all teams 70-21 but beat them the next year 38-7 & went to a Bowl Game. This team has the *EXACT* same problems as last year & the year before yet NIU last year was a very solid football team that went 11-3 beating Fresno State in a Bowl Game & scored 40 points or more 5 times & 50 or more 3 times.

Jerry Kill is *NOT* the problem & thinking he can fix 4 years of Brewball Mentality in less then 5 games is idiotic. Horton even looked lost his first couple games as HC last season & yet still pulled off 2 very impressive victories towards the end. I want 1 person to come in here who has watched NIU play the last few years & tell me Jerry Kill can't coach...GTFOH...

...*END RANT*...

Horton didn't win until he dumped the Offensive Scheme of the first 10 games. Don't think Kill can't coach either. Do think he cares way more about showing his team how to play "the right way" for the future then trying to win now.

I'm not turning on Kill. He gets a pass from me, but there have been some things that have cropped up that have me shaking my head a bit. The illegal formation calls against Miami were on the interior linemen and that tells me that may be something in the way the coaches are telling guys to line up. I put at least some responsibility on the holding calls on kicks on the coaching staff as well. When they are called with that level of regularity, part of it has to be on something that's being taught.

But I'm in for the long haul. I've been disappointed in Claeys' defense more than Limegrover's offense right now. But I'm not going to even get critical until 2012.

to go along with the thought of the original post, he really has had the perfect storm of problems to deal with as well. He is trying to establish a system. It is something that needs to happen. These are some of the growing pains that go with it. It is way, way to early to dump on him and his system. Give it a couple of years.

I'm not turning on Kill, I just don't see anything to be positive about. Maybe the USC game was his own worst enemy. If we'd lost 58-0 to them and and 21-17 today, I'd feel much better about things. But we seem to be getting worse with each passing week.

To turn on kill I would have had to have liked him to start.

I'm not turning on Kill, I just don't see anything to be positive about. Maybe the USC game was his own worst enemy. If we'd lost 58-0 to them and and 21-17 today, I'd feel much better about things. But we seem to be getting worse with each passing week.
We don't seem to be getting worse. Week 1 gophers beat week 5 gophers by 20-30 points. We are getting worse and fast.

For the record, I will be a 100% supporter of Jerry Kill until at least game 6 of the 2014 season.

Many people turned on Brewster during his press conference. They pleaded for his firing even during the 7-1 start in 2008. At least the people turning on Kill now have watched how abysmally they've played except for three quarters this year.

To top it off it is a lot easier being an internet dick then support the coach. But remember, the founder of the anti-Kill site told us that everyone on this site is only here because they're a "FAN of the Gophers:clap::clap:

I think it is clear that Brewster recruited athletes more than football players. You can blame coaches to a certain extent, but it is the players that play the game. Lining up off-sides, that has more to do with the player having his head in the game and aware of all aspects of the game than coaching. You can tell a player not to line up off sides until you are blue in the face, but during the game a coach can't go out there and make sure the player lines up correctly. The player is responsible for that at some point. Same goes for holding. In addition, as Thaill said, look at Kill's team at NIU, they were one of the least penalized teams in the country. To me, that indicates that the players are just not getting it and are not good players instead of the coaches failing to coach. Kill & Co have shown they can coach. What is clear is that these players fail to grasp a lot of fb fundamentals, i.e. blown assignments, tackling, lining up off-sides.

As with Horton's wins last year, he had a 4 year starter at qb and an experienced o-line, which gave him a huge advantage compared to this year. What can people expect on the offense? We have one decent receiver (McKnight) and that is about it. Our qb situation is one of the worst in the FBS and our o line is young and inexperienced. People really have to look at this program as though we have had four years of coaching changes because under Brewster there was no consistency in among the coordinators. You can call these excuses, but they are facts.

This program is an absolute train wreck and Kill is not a miracle worker. He is a good coach, but it is going to take time. He said that this program was shambles and that it would take a while to turn it around, yet people are criticizing him because he has not turned it around already. He never said he would this season. Gopher fb has sucked for 40 years, it is not going to get better in 5 months. Grow up people.

We don't seem to be getting worse. Week 1 gophers beat week 5 gophers by 20-30 points. We are getting worse and fast.

Gophers 2003, Week 1 we won by 39, Week 12 we lost by 18...see why that doesn't work? And you're telling me (if you've watched any Michigan games this season) that Michigan isn't better then NMSU or NDSU? Really? Now if we lost 58-0 to Purdue...I'd be worried... but Michigan's Offense is a wrecking crew & our Defense is terrible so when those factors meet what happens? A Blowout...

+!

Gophers 2003, Week 1 we won by 39, Week 12 we lost by 18...see why that doesn't work? And you're telling me (if you've watched any Michigan games this season) that Michigan isn't better then NMSU or NDSU? Really? Now if we lost 58-0 to Purdue...I'd be worried... but Michigan's Offense is a wrecking crew & our Defense is terrible so when those factors meet what happens? A Blowout...
Watch the games.
It has nothing to do with score. It has everything to do with how they are playing. Do you really think we are better now than we were 3 weeks ago?

Not even close.

I think it is clear that Brewster recruited athletes more than football players. You can blame coaches to a certain extent, but it is the players that play the game. Lining up off-sides, that has more to do with the player having his head in the game and aware of all aspects of the game than coaching. You can tell a player not to line up off sides until you are blue in the face, but during the game a coach can't go out there and make sure the player lines up correctly. The player is responsible for that at some point. Same goes for holding. In addition, as Thaill said, look at Kill's team at NIU, they were one of the least penalized teams in the country. To me, that indicates that the players are just not getting it and are not good players instead of the coaches failing to coach. Kill & Co have shown they can coach. What is clear is that these players fail to grasp a lot of fb fundamentals, i.e. blown assignments, tackling, lining up off-sides.

As with Horton's wins last year, he had a 4 year starter at qb and an experienced o-line, which gave him a huge advantage compared to this year. What can people expect on the offense? We have one decent receiver (McKnight) and that is about it. Our qb situation is one of the worst in the FBS and our o line is young and inexperienced. People really have to look at this program as though we have had four years of coaching changes because under Brewster there was no consistency in among the coordinators. You can call these excuses, but they are facts.

This program is an absolute train wreck and Kill is not a miracle worker. He is a good coach, but it is going to take time. He said that this program was shambles and that it would take a while to turn it around, yet people are criticizing him because he has not turned it around already. He never said he would this season. Gopher fb has sucked for 40 years, it is not going to get better in 5 months. Grow up people.
Just stop it, NO ONE is criticizing Kill for not turning it around. Everyone is criticizing Kill because this team is extremely undisciplined, the players seem to have quit on Kill already, and Kill is being outcoached so far. Ya I think it will get better next year but there isn't an excuse for what we've seen out of Kill so far.

Just stop it, NO ONE is criticizing Kill for not turning it around. Everyone is criticizing Kill because this team is extremely undisciplined, the players seem to have quit on Kill already, and Kill is being outcoached so far. Ya I think it will get better next year but there isn't an excuse for what we've seen out of Kill so far.

Yep.

Summed up my thoughts on the start of the Kill era perfectly. Nobody expected us to come out and compete for the Big Ten title or even a bowl game but the level of play we've seen so far is at least disturbing.

People are flipping out today because we got blown out by Michigan. What did people expect? Michigan is a great team that is going to win a lot games this year. Yet people are shocked we got blown out?! Yes, there were a lot of flags, but we saw all kinds of flags during the Brewster tenure. My problem with people like you is that you think Kill can change the mentality of these players in just a few months. These players played under Brewster for four years. Four years of undisciplined football. It is going to take years before these kind of mental mistakes stop. They really will not stop until Brewster's players are out of the program. Brewster's players are not going to become disciplined athletes overnight. As I said before, Kill had one of the least penalized teams in the country last year at NIU...do you think he forgot to coach this year or do you think it is the players who just are not good fb players?

People expected the team to come out and give an EFFORT

People expected the coaching staff to have a PLAN

People expected the guy who preaches discipline to have his team play with some DISCIPLINE

People expected the team to get blown out.

Kill's NIU Team beat us last year at home & it wasn't pretty. NIU was solid...played disciplined & ran the football extremely well. This years Gophers Team has the ***EXACT*** same problems it had since Brewster took over. You can't reverse 4 years of undisciplined coaching in a couple months, you just can't. But yeah... Jerry Kill forgot how to Coach a football team in less then a year...GTFOH...he told all of you this team just wasn't that good & now that you see it you blame him... terrible, smh...

We have an awful Defense & a terrible Offensive Line... what did anyone expect? Outside of 2 freak interceptions returned for TD's last week the team looked better then it did against NMSU... & Michigan has an amazingly explosive Offense with a lot of Speed & a Heisman Caliber QB... what did anybody really expect? Did anyone read the Score Prediction Thread? Steve Spurrier wouldn't have done any better then Kill today...

People expected the team to come out and give an EFFORT

People expected the coaching staff to have a PLAN

People expected the guy who preaches discipline to have his team play with some DISCIPLINE

People expected the team to get blown out.

The EFFORT just wasn't good enough... The PLAN just flat out didn't work... *EVERYBODY* with a little sense in football expected us to get BLOWN OUT... Discipline? You ever try to babysit a child whose parents haven't disciplined him correctly for the 8 years he's been alive? But you're right... it's so easy... Kill's NIU teams were a fluke...

25% of this team never played for Brewster. 50% of this team played for him less than a year.

You keep blaming Brewster. I'll talk to you in 5 years when I'm analyzing our new coach.

And no, kills teams at NIU weren't flukes, but none of them would have finished top 5 in the big ten either. They were what they were.
Nice mid major teams.

Mason had us going to bowl games so often that GH began to feel entitled to them, as if 6 wins was the floor. Everything that has happened since 9/1/07 has been a cruel reminder of where the floor REALLY is.

When an AD caves in to a clueless, spiteful, entitled fan base, anything can happen. It takes wisdom and a steady hand to see a program through hard times. Mason made a run in 03 and another in 05, but was gone after 06 because Maturi caved to the pitchfork hordes, who will never be satisfied because they can never have enough wins, can never fire enough coaches fast enough.

Why should any legit coach bother coming here when nothing he can do will be enough, unless there is some other reason like wildly high pay (which there isn't). Sure enough, after the latest routine firing, no top-tier coach would even take a SNIFF at this job, and our reputation as a coaches' graveyard was renewed.

Whoever our next AD is, I hope that one of the first things he does is to set up a filter in his email client that automatically moves anything containing the word "fire" to the trash.

Mason didn't make a run in 05. He went 7-5.

And you are an idiot if you think anything besides money would factor into Angkor coach taking a job anywhere.
I'll turn down this 3 million because they fired their coach too soon.
I'll accept this 800k because they seem real loyal.

Get a grip on reality

And no, kills teams at NIU weren't flukes, but none of them would have finished top 5 in the big ten either. They were what they were.
Nice mid major teams.

That kicked our butts at our house. So you are saying that the gophers under Brewster were worse than a nice mid major team last year and now you expect them to perform at levels they never did under Brewster. OK?

That kicked our butts at our house. So you are saying that the gophers under Brewster were worse than a nice mid major team last year and now you expect them to perform at levels they never did under Brewster. OK?
1) yes I would expect a team I said would finish not better than 5th to beat a team that finished 10th/11
2) I never said I expected them to be good this year. I expect them to improved during the year and look well coached. They are getting worse and they look more poorly coached than they did under Brewster.

Mason didn't make a run in 05. He went 7-5.

And you are an idiot if you think anything besides money would factor into Angkor coach taking a job anywhere.
I'll turn down this 3 million because they fired their coach too soon.
I'll accept this 800k because they seem real loyal.

Get a grip on reality
7-5 and a blocked punt from 8-4. He beat a highly ranked Purdue team, MI on the road, nearly beat WI, etc. It was a decent showing. What am I saying, it was a GREAT showing compared to lately.

Salary as I'm sure you know is negotiable and would have been much higher for the "Tubby-like hire" that Maturi wanted so much to bail out his and your own incompetent selves yet again. It's not like we posted a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing classified ad in the DeKalb Times "Wanted: Football coach - pays 800k/year."

Purdue finished 5-6 and Michigan finished 7-5.
Wisconsin beat them.

I didn't say they were bad, I said they didnt make a run. They didn't.

They beat two teams with winning records that year 7-5 Michigan and 9-4 Tulsa.

2) I never said I expected them to be good this year. I expect them to improved during the year and look well coached. They are getting worse and they look more poorly coached than they did under Brewster.
I'm not sure if you have noticed but other than the USC game, which the entire USC team played asleep, they have been playing progressively better opponents each week, thus appearing worse each week. Does this make sense?

You can't make up your kind of excuse making.
I guess the stupid mental penalties are the results of playing better opponents.
I guess the lack of effort is okay because it is against a better opponent.

Top Bottom