I said after we fired Mase, we should have gone after June Jones...

Sparlimb

Reaction score
I know a lot of folks don't care for him or his offense, but hard to argue with his success. SMU is up 17-0 at TCU right now today and off to their best start in 20 years. He brought Hawaii to a BCS game and he'll soon do the same with SMU. Not sure he'd have come here, but I can always dream. At least he gives me another team to cheer for after we get pounded. By the way, they are playing on CBS sports channel (613 on DTV) if you are interested.

SMU is a better job right now.

SMU is a better job right now.
True. You'd have to way outpay them to get him out of there, and maybe not even then. I doubt he's in our league. Mike Grant might be the only choicce next time around...

True. You'd have to way outpay them to get him out of there, and maybe not even then. I doubt he's in our league. Mike Grant might be the only choicce next time around...

I hate when people bring up mike grant. He is not even the best high school coach in the state. X's and o's he might not be top 10. Put him at apple valley High school and he wouldn't win a game this year.

I hate when people bring up mike grant. He is not even the best high school coach in the state. X's and o's he might not be top 10. Put him at apple valley High school and he wouldn't win a game this year.
Only brought him up to makea point. I am in no way advocating he be the coach of our team. I'm just worried that we've reached a point where we can't get anyone worth their weight in salt to come coach here.

I'm just saying if you are gonna bring up a high school coach bring up someone besides him. Don't give that fat prick any more free publicity. Classy guy too, put up 70 on Minneapolis south. And then he probably complained that no one wants to schedule him.

That is a little unfair to Grant. I live in Apple Valley and don't think a combo staff of Rockne, Lombardi, Woody, Bo, John McKay, Nick Saban, Fielding Yost, Urban Meyer and Barry Switzer could win a game for the Eagles this year. :) That said, point still stands.

Sorry man. That was a cheap shot at valley.

Good showing defensively last night at least!

June Jones and SMU win in OT over TCU. Congrats to SMU who will be bowling for the 3rd year in a row and continue to get better and better.

I'm just saying if you are gonna bring up a high school coach bring up someone besides him. Don't give that fat prick any more free publicity. Classy guy too, put up 70 on Minneapolis south. And then he probably complained that no one wants to schedule him.

I've said it before. I don't like the guy, and I played for him before he went to EP, so I have some perspective, but I have to grudgingly admit, he is a good coach.

That said, I still think the job he really wants is St. Johns.

Nobody in their right mind thinks he would get hired to coach a BCS program. If you want to look at small time coaches in the area, Glenn Caruso has the biggest upside going forward - he's going to get a bigger offer soon. Probably an FCS job.

SMU paid Jones 1.3 million dollars more than we paid Brewster last year. We get what we pay for.

Sparlimb, were you in favor of Mike Leach at the end of last season?

I've said it before. I don't like the guy, and I played for him before he went to EP, so I have some perspective, but I have to grudgingly admit, he is a good coach.

That said, I still think the job he really wants is St. Johns.

Nobody in their right mind thinks he would get hired to coach a BCS program. If you want to look at small time coaches in the area, Glenn Caruso has the biggest upside going forward - he's going to get a bigger offer soon. Probably an FCS job.
I agree with you, the guy is tremendous. The U would get killed publicly if they hired him, but the guy can flat coach. 10 years down the road I wouldn't be against it at all - hopefully after Kill coaches us for 10 years.

Caruso has stated that his lifetime goal was to be a d3 coach. He was a d3 football player. He is very catholic and so he loves being at st Thomas (hated being at macalester). He has got a family and he has all the stability in the world at st Thomas. I know him personally, not a friend but he'd know who I am. I don't think he'll ever leave st Thomas. I could be wrong.

He is a stud. With his coordinating experience and now major success at st Thomas he could probably be on the short list for any upper Midwest d2 or fcs job he wanted. I think there is a good chance he retires from st Thomas as one of the winningest coaches of all time. I would be very negative about any d3 hire, but if he ever goes fcs with some success i think he'd be a guy to take a look at. He is a stud. He turned macalester around, that's a tougher job than Minnesota. Not yet, but maybe someday.

Macalester is a tougher job than Minnesota.

You can't get kids into the school unless they have a 25+ on the act. If they are in the 25-29 range the probably need a 3.6 or better to get in. Real small school.

Only 2000 students. Over 200 are international students.
55-60% of the students are female.

Meaning you have roughly 750 kids to choose from. To get 75 players you need 10% of the American males to play football. If you've ever seen that student body that's a tough task. So you are recruiting no football players who get under 25 on the act to a campus that is very uncomfortable for most suburban kids.

They hadn't won a conference game since 1992 when he got there (finally beat an miac team last week). They had once held the longest losing streak in college football history (don't know if they still do). It is a tougher job than the u of m. Obviously on an entirely different scale.

Sparlimb, were you in favor of Mike Leach at the end of last season?
I wouldn't say in favor of. I'd say I was intrigued by him as I thought he had a lot to offer. I wasn't hiring though and I would hope due diligence was done and they didn't hire him for a reason. I doubt Jones would have ever come here and who knows if he would have succeeded. I'm just happy to see him do well at SMU, another school who's been flat out awful since they resumed football.

Just because they epically sucked before Caruso got there doesn't mean that it's a more difficult job than Minnesota. It just means they hadn't found the right coach. They are a DIII independent, meaning they no doubt have one of the weakest schedules in NCAA football on an annual basis. They can play pretty much whomever they can talk into scheduling a game with them.

Meanwhile, Minnesota plays some combination of many of the best amateur football teams on planet Earth, every single year. End of discussion.

No kidding. It'd be easier to win a national championship at Minnesota than macalester though. It might be easier to win 5 games at Mac.

What Rosemountian said. Macalester might be the single worst environment to cobble together a football team in the United States. It's a very good school, but the student body is largely made up of international students, hippies and East Coast trust fund kids who couldn't get into snooty Eastern schools because they didn't qualify or they got into trouble or smoked too much dope (and still do). At the time they left the MIAC in football, they could barely get 30 guys out for football, and they ended up going independent largely because they were seriously concerned someone was going to get really hurt going up against D3 powerhouses in SJU and UST.

As far as Caruso goes, I suspect he'd stay at UST rather than take a D2 job. I'd guess there's a lot more money at UST than at any of the D2 schools in the area, definitely a lot more alumni interest and prestige, and the football is probably better than any NSIC school (with the exception of Duluth, which has a top notch program now.) Now granted, I don't know the guy, but I have a hard time believing that if offered an FCS job he wouldn't seriously consider it. I think Caruso has a big future, if he wants it. He may not.

As far as Caruso goes, I suspect he'd stay at UST rather than take a D2 job. I'd guess there's a lot more money at UST than at any of the D2 schools in the area, definitely a lot more alumni interest and prestige, and the football is probably better than any NSIC school (with the exception of Duluth, which has a top notch program now.) Now granted, I don't know the guy, but I have a hard time believing that if offered an FCS job he wouldn't seriously consider it. I think Caruso has a big future, if he wants it. He may not.

There is no way that the MIAC is better at football than the NSIC. Could St. Thomas and perhaps Bethel compete in the NSIC? Probably, but I highly doubt it. Also, UMD is not even top of the conference right now. Now, I do agree with the UST having more money and alumni interest. I think the MIAC has larger alumni support.

The best of the MIAC (which UST is) is most definitely better than the worst of the NSIC (UMC, Moorhead, etc.). In addition, people care about the MIAC schools - it's a better environment. There's little to no interest in the football teams at many of the NSIC schools.

He turned macalester around, that's a tougher job than Minnesota. Not yet, but maybe someday.

Not to quibble but he was only at Macalester for 2 years and never had a winning season. Tony Jennison has been there now for four years since and finished 6-3 last year for their first winning season since the early 80's.

The best of the MIAC (which UST is) is most definitely better than the worst of the NSIC (UMC, Moorhead, etc.). In addition, people care about the MIAC schools - it's a better environment. There's little to no interest in the football teams at many of the NSIC schools.

I agree with that, Crookston and Moorhead are terrible and UST could definitely beat them. Crookston would be lucky to finish in the top half of the MIAC.

Not to quibble but he was only at Macalester for 2 years and never had a winning season. Tony Jennison has been there now for four years since and finished 6-3 last year for their first winning season since the early 80's.

Jennison is winning with Caruso's players. Caruso inherited NOTHING from Mason!

Wait -- never mind. I'm in the wrong thread.

I agree with that, Crookston and Moorhead are terrible and UST could definitely beat them. Crookston would be lucky to finish in the top half of the MIAC.

Crookston should never have left the UMAC. I have no idea why they went D2, especially when Morris decided to drop out of the NSIC and go to the low D3 UMAC. Actually, a lot of people wonder why UMC even still exists, and why they weren't shut down when Waseca was. UMC is located less than two hours from UND, NDSU, Moorhead, Bemidji, Concordia Moorhead, and even Mayville and Valley City in North Dakota. UMC is an answer to a question nobody asked.

As far as Jennison goes, Mac plays some horrible schools that nobodys ever heard of (though they did beat Hamline this year). It's not hard to get a winning record when you're playing Maranatha Baptist and Trinity North Dakota. I could probably get 11 friends together (and I'm 38 years old) and beat those teams. Caruso is good coach, and if he wants to, he'll likely get a shot at a D1 job.

Top Bottom