JV football coach suspended for taking team to cemetary after loss

Interesting comments on this article at ESPN. Most of the are of the "kids are whimps these days!" and "back in my day..." There's one comment which said "back in my day, parents didn't complain if their children weren't starting", but that's rose colored glasses. People have always complained about who is starting. Even back in the mythical "good old days", a coach who made his players lie down on graves was going to get into trouble.

We got taken to a cemetery before a game once.

We visited the grave of a guy who actually died playing in the rivalry.

His tombstone has his final words asking about who won the game.

I. KID. YOU. NOT.

We got taken to a cemetery before a game once.

We visited the grave of a guy who actually died playing in the rivalry.

His tombstone has his final words asking about who won the game.

I. KID. YOU. NOT.

Okay. Did it inspire you to victory?

Must Be In The Bill Musselman School of Motivation

Who once, so infamously said: "Losing is worse than death, because you have to live with losing."

Can't believe he didn't make it to old age . . . :rolleyes:

How do these people get coaching certificates?

Carping from parents about playing time probably dates back to the advent of team sports. I just think it's easier for pushy parents to get rid of a coach now at the high school level because you no longer have to be a teacher in the district to be the coach. That makes for a larger pool of candidates, some of whom have no protections at all if a change is desired. Anyway, that's my take on it.

As for kids today, I don't think they are any more or less tough than they were when I was growing up in the 1950s and 1960s. The biggest difference I have seen is that parents and coaches are both "in their crap" a lot more when it comes to athletics. Kids today seem to always be looking over their shoulder instead of developing their instincts. Again, just my opinion.

Top Bottom