Stumbled upon something interesting

Interesting stuff. As great as the '34 Gophers were, Alabama was close to them that year. Each team had three players on the 11-man All-America team. Bernie, where are you when we need you? Biggest mistake ever made by U of M administration: firing Bierman; second-biggest mistake - firing Warmath. You can go on from there...

Not really. Neither one of them was doing much of anything in the last few years of their tenures. Excepting 1967, the Gophers were a poor-to-mediocre Big Ten team during the last 9 years of Warmath's career. And, although Bierman's 2nd tenure was respectable, it was pretty obvious that he had lost "it" (winning percentage .819 1st tenure vs .565 2nd tenure), and ended his 16th and final season at the helm with what was then the worst record in school history (1-7-1). You can only live off past successes for so long. And, moreover, if firing them was such a mistake, why were they not hired by anyone else after their respective terminations? Both were still relatively young (Bierman 56, Warmath 59) for someone, anyone, to give them a chance if their respective firings were such cataclysmic decisions.

Warmath was well along in years when fired and Bierman was in his late fifties and didn't want to coach anywhere else. Warmath won two thirds of his conference games in the Sixties (he was fired in '71) at a time when nine schools won or tied for the championship in that decade and the 10th, Northwestern, was nationally ranked. Bierman's second run is skewed in terms of the final season, as you say, 1-7-1. Otherwise, from 1945 through '49 he went 29-16, a record we'd be happy to have today. The '49 team was one of the best in the nation. I stick by my argument.

#1. Not hiring John Wooden. Nothing else comes close to this one in what this could have done for all sports and the university in general.

#2. Not hiring Bud Wilkinson.

#1. Not hiring John Wooden. Nothing else comes close to this one in what this could have done for all sports and the university in general.

#2. Not hiring Bud Wilkinson.

TIL: The Gophers had a chance to hire John Wooden, do you have any more info about that?

TIL: The Gophers had a chance to hire John Wooden, do you have any more info about that?

Wooden was all set to accept the Gopher offer, but there was a snowstorm and the Minnesota AD couldn't get to a phone and make it official. Since Wooden didn't hear from us, he thought we were moving on and instead accepted the UCLA job. The rest is history...

There were those at the U that had gotten all caught up in the de-emphasis movement in the early 50's,
the same movement that drove Chicago out of the sport a few years earlier, and had caused the formation
of the Ivy League and the dropping of football at schools like NYU and Fordham. There was talk of having
Bierman as AD and Wilkinson as head coach. The result of that is simply speculation, but anyone can figure it
out. Sadly, there was too much opposition to having such a powerhouse tandem.

Wooden was all set to accept the Gopher offer, but there was a snowstorm and the Minnesota AD couldn't get to a phone and make it official. Since Wooden didn't hear from us, he thought we were moving on and instead accepted the UCLA job. The rest is history...

I believe the phone lines were down due to the storm/blizzard.

Wow can't believe I didn't hear about this until today.

I'm a Wooden fan

But I highly doubt he has the same success at Minnesota. I'm not aware of a similar booster to Sam Gilbert in Minnesota history. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609

Visit UCLA during the basketball season and then visit Minnesota...one might be easier to recruit to? Girls in shorts versus girls in ski masks might be a factor to a kid? But Sam Gilbert really would be. What Wooden did is remarkable but he didn't do it without a lot of talent on his teams.

But I highly doubt he has the same success at Minnesota. I'm not aware of a similar booster to Sam Gilbert in Minnesota history. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609

Visit UCLA during the basketball season and then visit Minnesota...one might be easier to recruit to? Girls in shorts versus girls in ski masks might be a factor to a kid? But Sam Gilbert really would be. What Wooden did is remarkable but he didn't do it without a lot of talent on his teams.

I'd buy your argument if we were talking Oklahoma but Southern Cali? No way!

Top Bottom