to stand or sit

1gophergnu

Reaction score
Yahoo has a short story on Cleveland Browns fan Rob Stipe being kicked out of his seat for standing too much. I have read on several posts here how certain posters want people to stand and cheer. I thought they might like this story.

Just use some common sense and the "don't be a dick" rule.

Here we go (can't believe it took this long for the first 'stand or sit' thread this year)...

I fell bass ackwards into Outdoor Club seats on Saturday night. Terribly disappointing experience for me. On top of that, I got yelled at for standing up on third down late in the first quarter.

Just use some common sense and the "don't be a dick" rule.

I couldn't agree more, common sense will go a long way to making a positive experience for everyone when it comes to this issue. The problem is the few out there that have no common sense what so ever ruin it for a lot people.

In a perfect world, everyone would stand for the whole game. But, since this is the furthest thing from a perfect world, just don't be "that guy." Luckily I don't have to worry about this issue being in the student section :)

Common sense in my book:

If people in front of you are standing, stand.

If it's third down on defense, stand. Yes, every third down on defense.

If there's a big situation late in the game or half, regardless of down, stand.

Otherwise, sit.

That said, in my section (117, right next to the student section) the people in the first couple rows are pretty much always standing, so I stand and I don't complain about it. People behind us complained in the first year of the stadium, but that has really dissipated the last couple years.

You have to be a complete neanderthal to stand the entire game.

We don't; we're pretty much with Year of the Gopher, but I will say - we did stand for nearly the entire game vs. Iowa (section 101-rows 28-30!)

As did all of us in section 103, row 13! that was hands down the best game I have been to so far in my six years as a season ticket holder!

Standing for a critical play is an understandable way of showing the team support, but excessive standing is simply unreasonable. Inevitably there are going to be handicapped fans who can't stand and fans with health problems that make it difficult to stand.

The argument of sit vs stand is pretty much like our federal government. GRIDLOCK. no compromise.

What I do is sit, 95% of the time because I can yell, scream and cuss just as well sitting down. When people in front of me stand, I stand so I can see and don't complain. Seems to work. Respect for others is not a bad thing.

I love football just as much as anyone and I get just as excited as anyone for Gopher games. With that being said, I don't understand the stand the entire game idea. I agree with the above poster, use common sense and don't be "that guy." Also, stand during big plays, 3rd downs, or if the jerk ahead of you is standing. I don't feel like I am a better fan when I am standing.

I love football just as much as anyone and I get just as excited as anyone for Gopher games. With that being said, I don't understand the stand the entire game idea. I agree with the above poster, use common sense and don't be "that guy." Also, stand during big plays, 3rd downs, or if the jerk ahead of you is standing. I don't feel like I am a better fan when I am standing.

+1. Well articulated. Couldn't agree more.

We don't; we're pretty much with Year of the Gopher, but I will say - we did stand for nearly the entire game vs. Iowa (section 101-rows 28-30!)

Good call, the Iowa game was different, partially because it was cold. I also think that standing more for cold games is reasonable as it helps stay warm.

Top Bottom