What is redshirt rule?

diefirma

Reaction score
I can't remember how much a player can play before his redshirt comes off - I think it is a few quarters but I'm not sure how many.

Both Wright and Cobb played last Saturday but I think they were just in for a play or two in one quarter so at this point I think they can still redshirt. I thought Wright looked very good in the fall - fast and shifty. On one of our kickoffs Saturday (it may have been a punt, I can't remember and I haven't rewatched the game yet) the NDSU return guy was upended almost as soon as he caught the ball - it made the crowd go "OOO". That was Wright that made that play. It would not surprise me if he got a lot of playing time as the year goes on. I thought Cobb looked good as well but he is similar to Kirkwood so they might as well redshirt him.

One play.

Redshirt = not competing at all. Zero. Come in for a play, you cannot redshirt.

If you play, you can't redshirt.

If you play in a game in the first 30% of the season, and have a season ending injury; you can apply for a medical hardship redshirt.

If you play in a game in the first 30% of the season, and have a season ending injury; you can apply for a medical hardship redshirt.

Technically true, but more detail: if you only play in the first half of the season and no more than 30%, as defined, and suffer a season ending injury, you're in good shape for a waiver.

Recently got into a little detail about this as it relates to Mo Walker of the Gophers men's basketball team (and threw in a football calculation example - which is consistent with Kirkwood's circumstances last year).

GH Article: Three Mo Years: Maurice Walker and Medical Hardship Waivers

Top Bottom