Isnt it disgustingly crazy

Doc1001

Reaction score
that this group of seniors and juniors was the 17th in the nation recruiting according to rivals and their recent power rating is 88. Only the gophers could pull that off---and leave us pulling our hair out.

I'm not disagreeing, but remember that a couple of those guys were JC players who really did help the team and then graduated (or at least are gone). Trumaine Brock was great for a year, Simoni Lawrence and Traye Simmons (at least for a season) really helped shore up an awful defense, and that was a big shot in the arm for the program at the time.

That doesn't negate the fact that many of the others didn't pan out, and even Brock didn't make it back academically for his second year. But I wouldn't mind seeing a few key JUCOs like that on the defense next year, even if that means they're not here in four years.

Very few of those guys are playing right now. At least 6 were Juco guys, and bunch others like Maresh and Hill never played here. Add to the fact a few like Edwards and Eskridge transferred, and guys like Green and Brandon can't stay healthy, it ended up not being a very good class overall.

I think it's funny that some think that recruiting rankings are a direct correlation to standings on the field. Of course they have an impact on it, but if you can't develop and coach the kids in the program you have no chance.

The best was the poster that said he had a formula that would predict the results of the season based on Rivals' recruiting ranking, and was of course predicting B10 championships in a few years due to Brew's recruiting. I think it's safe to say that everyone would agree it takes more than just recruit rankings.

Brewster was a bad recruiter plain and simple. I don't care what the websites said about his classes. Clearly they weren't as good as advertised.

The problem with the recruiting rankings is not that they do a poor job of grading the kids, it's that they are completely incapable of determining which programs will do a terrible job of keeping their kids in school (which is probably done during the recruiting process).

Attrition is the thing that has absolutely killed this program (a long with a bad job of developing players).

We'd be a much better position today had:
(1) Either Gray never been switched to WR or if he was switched to only WR immedietly.
(2) If our team also had Edwards, Maresh, Bryant Allen, Broderick Smith
-i'm not blaming anyone for these guys not being here, i am simply saying that rankings can't factor in that Edwards is more interested in sippin sizzurp than playing football.
(3) If Stoudemire was made into a CB immedietly

The 2008 class actually has a bit of talent. It's just that it is surrounded by empty classes, was overvalued due to JuCos, and it was hurt with attrition.

If our program currently had 5 classes as good as the 2008 we'd be in good shape.

I did a profile of that class in a response on a thread earlier in the week. It's amazing how many guys have: (1) completed their eligiblity, or (2) transferred (and some of those transferring seem to have vanished into thin air).

that this group of seniors and juniors was the 17th in the nation recruiting according to rivals and their recent power rating is 88. Only the gophers could pull that off---and leave us pulling our hair out.

it seems most have forgotten that this particular ranking (17th in the nation in 2008) was later revised downward to approx 35th... when not all of the 31 student-athletes who faxed in LOI's in February actually showed up in August.

A few of the 4-stars (DT from Mississippi JUCO and WR from New York) never showed up, to name a few...

This program is on Brewsterbation.

Each recruiting class suffers attrition, much like the general student poplulation. Players mature at different rates, max out at a point and don't progress, get injured, suffer in the classroom, no longer fit the program, get beat out by, family concerns, etc. 25-28 comprise a class, but by senior day its generally less than 10. By the time you are a senior starter you are also a leader, you know how it is done, and demand it from underclassmen. We have none of that. With no players taking the lead, its left to the coaches. I will give Coach Kill credit he has not named a Captain just to have one. You would think one of the seniors would step up, there unwillness to sieze the reins tells me more about this class than whose left, or who is contributing.

Top Bottom