Is there a leader?

Reaction score
I've held off getting down on this team, until now. We've played too many games this year for there to be so little chemistry among the players, especially on offense. I was actually upset when Michigan went back to man-to-man, after starting the game in the zone. We were actually moving the ball well, but then the nemesis of our stagnant offense we employed M2M. Maybe we should have tried to run our zone O against the man, at least we would have been trying to penetrate and feed the post.

How many times, especially in the 2nd half, did we have a major mismatch in the post. Damien had guards on him all half, and we only fed him once or twice. The post players need to actually work for a seal, and hold it on the swing. Once the ball moves, for some reason we feel the need to let the other team get in position before trying to post up again.

Finally, did anyone else feel there was a lack of effort and caring about the outcome from the team last night. I understand having an off night shooting, and the other team being hot, but you always control your effort on D. We seldomly actually sprint back on D, and wonder why other teams get so many break outs. If you miss a shot you need to do one of two things, hit the offensive glass, or get back. Not stand there upset with yourself, then jog back while pointing to another player to pick up your guy.

In all honesty, I think this team does need Payton back on the bench. He seemed like a true leader, that could get in everyone's ear if needed. With how close it seems he and DJ were/are I wonder if him not there has contributed to DJ's performance lately. This team needs someone that can pull everyone together and light a spark. I haven't seen the necessary emotion on the floor since the WI game, maybe 2nd half of Ill.

The only person I ever see consistently hustling is Sampson. On a few of their plethora of fast breaks, despite knowing he wasn't going to catch up, Sampson would be the one sprinting back as the guards stood at half court after a turnover and watched. Ugly.

Top Bottom