Per Scout, we have a new DB commitment - Tyren Hills

6'1", 185. Says he had offers from North Texas and UL. Unranked. Scout grade of 40. No deeper scouting info I can find yet.

e: Looks like he projects as a safety.

We should be able to sell something better than any other BCS team in the country. Immediate playing time. We sure need bodies in the secondary, so glad to see it.

How long has he been committed?

I saw a preview of his high school team online, dated August 25th, that stated he is a Minnesota commit back then:

"Besides Sandolph, the secondary features cornerback Tyren Hills, who has committed to Minnesota, and safety Johnell Celistan, who also has been getting considerable recruiting attention even though he is a first-year starter."

It's odd that the recruiting websites are that far behind on this kid.

If there's one thing we've learned through the Brewster years and this one, it's that recruiting sites are absolute garbage.

If this kid can cover, we should see if he can suit up on Saturday.

I saw a preview of his high school team online, dated August 25th, that stated he is a Minnesota commit back then:

"Besides Sandolph, the secondary features cornerback Tyren Hills, who has committed to Minnesota, and safety Johnell Celistan, who also has been getting considerable recruiting attention even though he is a first-year starter."

It's odd that the recruiting websites are that far behind on this kid.

Since the summer according to this story:

http://minnesota.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=935&CID=1271328

Talk about it in The Gopher Report
It is rare that a high school senior can commit to major university and have it go almost completely under the radar for three months, but that is exactly what happened with Boutte (LA) Hahnville corner Tyren Hills. The 6-foot-1, 180 pound corner committed to Minnesota over the summer and the new is now out in the open.

While the news of Hills commitment is just hitting the national services, he has been committed since the summer.

"I actually committed to Minnesota early in the summer. Coach Sawvel came up to watch us during the spring and offered me then. I took a little time to think about it and decided Minnesota was the place for me. I am really excited about the future there and what the program has to offer."

Hills chose Minnesota for two major reasons.

"Academics was the big reason I chose Minnesota. Coach Sawvel told me all about the business school and that is what I want to major in so that was big. Coach Sawvel and Coach Kill also told me that I could come in and have a chance to play right away and that is something I want to do. I want an opportunity to start from day one and at Minnesota I could do that."

Hills has yet to see Minnesota in person, but he has his official visit planned.

"I am going to take my official in December. I am looking forward to seeing the campus and getting to know the coaches. I might take another visit before that, but Minnesota is where I want to go."

Hills will not be the first Hahnville defensive back to play for Kill and his staff and that played a big role in his decision.

"Craig Turner lives right around the corner from me and I have talked to him about Coach Sawvel and Coach Kill a lot. He played for them at Southern Illinois and he loved them. I see what they were able to do for him at that level and I can only imagine what they can do for me playing at Minnesota. He is really excited for me to go play for them and to see how I will turn out under them."

If there's one thing we've learned through the Brewster years and this one, it's that recruiting sites are absolute garbage.

If this kid can cover, we should see if he can suit up on Saturday.

Have we learned that, or have we learned that Brewster was terrible at developing talent?

There are way too many anomalies when comparing recruiting class rankings to where teams are ranked to put much stock in them. Yes, certain coaches are better than others at teaching players fundamentals and game planning, but how can a school like Georgia, which has had top-10 recruting classes for the last 5 years, get throttled at home by Boise St., which hasn't had a top-50 recruiting class?

Everyone calls this good coaching, but part of the "coaching" is identifying and recruiting under the radar talent that has been overlooked.

The richest man on the planet is a college dropout.

Thus, the surest way to wealth and privilege is to drop out of college immediately.

Top Bottom