Bohl

tap

Reaction score
I was curious about his coaching record at ndsu.

Overall 63-30
Conference record 27-22

Since joining the Missouri Valley Conference:

2008 6-5 4-4 tied for 4th place
2009 3-8 2-6 7th place
2010 9-5 4-4 tied for 3rd place

Besides this he coached LB's at sconnie.

This loss on Saturday looks even worse now.

How does what you posted make it look even worse?

They said on BTN he was D-coordinator at Nebraska.

Hard to make this lose look any worse than it already does, but if people want to try I'm sure they will find a way. Not sure what the point of doing that is though.

Sorry for the thread.

I guess my point is that the nodak fans lead me to believe that they were a 9 or 10 win team every season but in fact there are pretty average. Bohl may be a good coach, but his conference record seems very mason-like.

Sorry for the thread.

I guess my point is that the nodak fans lead me to believe that they were a 9 or 10 win team every season but in fact there are pretty average. Bohl may be a good coach, but his conference record seems very mason-like.

NDSU has been a top 10 FCS team three or four times since he has been the coach...that is far from Mason-like. We did struggle in 2008 and 2009 but to Bohl's credit he made some adjustments and righted the ship.

Bohl - long

Bohl was at Nebraska. That's true. He was run off by them and landed at NDSU. His first years he won with the previous coach, Bob Babich (currently on the Chicago Bears staff) players. Babich had recruited some pretty good players and Bohl was the beneficiary of that. He thought that that success would be enough to propel him back to the big time. Because of that, he got lazy on the recruiting part of the business thinking he would be elsewhere. When nothing materialized, he had no choice but to stay and that lack of attention hurt him in 2008 and 2009. Once he realized that he was going to be hanging around he started hitting the recruiting trail again and raised the level of talent.

I played at NDSU 30 years ago and then coached at two other colleges after that. I was not good enough, frankly, to play for Minnesota. I have always been a Minnesota fan though. Saturday night was my first Minnesota game in 20 years as I was out of the area. While I love BOTH schools, and even though I am a NDSU alum, deep in my heart I was rooting for Minnesota. I couldn't really lose either way though. The one thing that shocked me though was how little talent and speed Minnesota seems to have on their roster. Both Minnesota's lines were dominated.

I think that when NDSU moved up a class, they were smart enough to realize their niche and who they were and planned accordingly. They knew that they were never going to get the top guys so they decided that the next tier was full of good players as well and that they just needed time in a strong program and a chance to be coached up and developed. From what I heard from a couple of people that's what Kill is trying to do as well. A couple of old coaching pals, now retired, said thay have visited a couple of practices last spring and this fall. Their opinion, and they don't really know Kill or his coaches personally, was that only about half the players on this team were Big 10 caliber players. I'm sure everyone is frustrated with the years of losing and the endless cycle of coaches, but I would say give him a chance to get some talent in here and develop it. If he still doesn't have any success, then yes, move on. Four games isn't enough of a yard stick to measure any coach. I'm sure it's been said on this board already, but, I don't care what kind of coach you bring in, if you don't upgrade your talent level no one will win here. Good luck to your team going forward and Go Gophers!

A Truer Statement on Gopherhole Was Never Written!

"Both Minnesota's lines were dominated."

Needless to say Minnesota's Offensive and Defensive lines got their asses kicked for the full 60 minutes!

Needless to say Minnesota's Offensive and Defensive lines got their asses kicked for the full 60 minutes!

Minnesota looked pretty good running the ball I thought. It is just tough to throw the ball when Gray can't hit an open receiver...and Shortell didn't have any time to throw. Give it another year or two, Kill can't damage the program any worse than it already is, nowhere to go but up for the U.

Minnesota looked pretty good running the ball I thought. It is just tough to throw the ball when Gray can't hit an open receiver...and Shortell didn't have any time to throw. Give it another year or two, Kill can't damage the program any worse than it already is, nowhere to go but up for the U.
Don't know how many times I have read/said/heard this line over the years but the Gophers always find a way to take it to a new low. It really is a gift

I believe the "official" story on Bohl @ Nebraska is that he was fired by Solich after the debacles at Colorado and the Rose Bowl in the 2001 season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team).

I've also heard two rumors in addition to the official story. One is that Bohl was a Osborne disciple and so Solich used Bohl as a scapegoat so he could get someone of his choice in at DC. That might be true, but no idea. The other rumor is far more nasty and so I won't go into that one.

Bohl won a lot of games during NDSU's trasition to DI from 2003-2007 (including 10-1 seasons in 06 and 07 - the Gophers should remember these teams). The 2008 team was the first year that the seniors were all recruited by Bohl. There were 8 or 9 seniors from the 08 team (high school class of 2004) that got at least invited to NFL camps. So to the poster who said he didn't recruit - you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Sadly that team had all the talent in the world but lacked a QB and could not put it together, went 6-5 and missed the playoffs. The next year (09) things went in the toilet when they had the same QB and lost some guys due to some arrests and negative off the field incidents. In 2010 NDSU did not have a great year and lost their last game, but backed into the playoffs. However they went to Montana St and crushed them. Then went out to the national champs Eastern Washington and lost a close game.

2011, so far so good.

Here is one thing you have to give Bohl credit for: since 2003 NDSU has not changed offensive and defensive schemes! The coaches have turned over, but the system has stayed basically the same with one blip being the 2009 defense. I blame partially the bad year on that.

I think consistency of systems is something the Gophers could learn.

DrunkGopher said:
Don't know how many times I have read/said/heard this line over the years but the Gophers always find a way to take it to a new low. It really is a gift

That is exactly how I felt on the lateral play.

NDSU interception-lateral < NMSU loss < South Dakota loss < first NDSU loss < Texas Tech record comeback < Wisconsin blocked punt < Michigan 21 point collapse < MAC team blocked PAT run back for two point win < Nebraska 84-13...

Maybe they are not in that order but it is exhausting.

No time to throw? Shortell was pressured ONCE, and that was in the red zone when NDSU wisely brought EVERYBODY on the blitz and sacked him. Other than that, he had more than enough time. I do recall on one other play he was running for his life but that was a screen play where Bennett fell down/got held up and the screen wasn't there. Shortell had to take off, wisely threw it out of bounds.

ThorViking: Best post on this board in a long time from somebody with a different perspective. Thanks for posting!!!

The OL did not get their asses kicked. I think the best way to put it is they were inconsistent. They absolutely dominated during the 95 yard drive. Did they play great? No, but they didn't get "their asses kicked" either if you ask me.

Top Bottom