Leevon Perry...

EE_Gopher

Reaction score
I was at a party with my wife. The game was on and I watched a play where Leevon Perry literally threw Ed Olson asside and tackled Marqueis Gray. I see he was in the 2009 class along with Hageman and Garin. Note that I am not saying this to be start a Mason fight, but it is ironic that had Mason been the coach, Hageman would have ended up in Ohio State and Garin would have gone to UCLA and we would have been "stuck" with Leevon Perry. Ofcourse, with Mason's history with defense, it would probably been a bad result for Leevon Perry.

Maybe he didn't have the grades or test scores to get into the U. Academics don't seem to be an issue in getting into ndsu.

Grades and ACT scores were the issue with Perry.

You only need a 21 to get into NDSU. I would guess this is the reason..

There are plenty of guys who did not get a 21 on their ACT on NDSU, and I am pretty darn sure there are a fair share of athletes that didn't get a 21 on their ACT here at the U.

There are plenty of guys who did not get a 21 on their ACT on NDSU, and I am pretty darn sure there are a fair share of athletes that didn't get a 21 on their ACT here at the U.

Agreed. I believe you can get into the U with a 21 on your ACT.

Hmm I was admitted under special circumstances and locked to a maximum of 13 credits "as a freshman" for having a 23.

I wonder what the magic cutoff # is for athletes then...

My councilor told me I probably wouldn't have gotten in to the U and I had a 29 on my ACT. They care WAY more about GPA.

Hmm I was admitted under special circumstances and locked to a maximum of 13 credits "as a freshman" for having a 23.

I wonder what the magic cutoff # is for athletes then...

It's different for athletes. Is at every school.

Maybe he didn't have the grades or test scores to get into the U. Academics don't seem to be an issue in getting into ndsu.

Non-qualifiers are based on NCAA rules, not the preference of individual schools.

If it were left up to the school, you can darn well bet that Minnesota, NDSU and every other DI school out there would gladly "bend the rules" to get the lowest academic recruits in the door that they could muster.

My councilor told me I probably wouldn't have gotten in to the U and I had a 29 on my ACT. They care WAY more about GPA.

Depends where you're from. No joke.

Think about it this way, the U has ___ spots available each fall for new, full-time undergrads. If all of those spots are filled in with kids from Minnesota, then the tuition money collected by the school is $X. On the other hand, if all the spots are filled in by kids from other states, the tuition money collected is $3X.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that it takes a heck of a lot more academic justification to be admitted to the U as a freshman undergrad from Minnesota than it does from out of state.

Depends where you're from. No joke.

Think about it this way, the U has ___ spots available each fall for new, full-time undergrads. If all of those spots are filled in with kids from Minnesota, then the tuition money collected by the school is $X. On the other hand, if all the spots are filled in by kids from other states, the tuition money collected is $3X.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that it takes a heck of a lot more academic justification to be admitted to the U as a freshman undergrad from Minnesota than it does from out of state.

Your numbers are skewed. In-state tuition is 13K and out-state is 18K. Out of state tuition is 1.38x as much. Also, the U is made up of 71% Minnesota residents. The reciprocity agreements with North and South Dakota and Wisconsin allow those people to pay in-state tuition as well. I think only around 6% of students at the U pay out of state tuition, assuming none of them have scholarships that cover the difference, which I know a lot of out of state students that do.

A 29 is in the 90th percentile. I find it very hard to believe you wouldn't have been admitted to the U, unless your grades were awful.

Your numbers are skewed. In-state tuition is 13K and out-state is 18K. Out of state tuition is 1.38x as much. Also, the U is made up of 71% Minnesota residents. The reciprocity agreements with North and South Dakota and Wisconsin allow those people to pay in-state tuition as well. I think only around 6% of students at the U pay out of state tuition, assuming none of them have scholarships that cover the difference, which I know a lot of out of state students that do.
In state tuition is 13k at the state schools, not the U. The U, with room and board, is like 26k.

A 29 is in the 90th percentile. I find it very hard to believe you wouldn't have been admitted to the U, unless your grades were awful.
Is 2.7 out of 4 awful? (I had a TERRIBLE Freshman year)

It is very plausible. In the last few years, admittance rates at the U have dropped significantly. A kid in my orientation group was wait-listed with a 32.

Ah I see where we are divided. Tuition is 13,060 without room and board but I always looked at it with room and board which is about 23,000 total

Maybe this is more of an indictment of Olson. He's awful!!

Olson got smoked on a majority of plays. It was pretty pathetic and truly sad to see him get beat like that. With that said, the entire o line is freaking horrible which does surprise me. I thought our o line would be half way decent this year, but that is clearly not the case.

Non-qualifiers are based on NCAA rules, not the preference of individual schools.

If it were left up to the school, you can darn well bet that Minnesota, NDSU and every other DI school out there would gladly "bend the rules" to get the lowest academic recruits in the door that they could muster.

That simply isn't true. While there is a baseline NCAA guideline, there is absolutely no doubt that certain schools have higher standards than the baseline admittance guidelines. There are a lot of instances where a guy is academically qualified to by NCAA standards, but won't be admitted into school because that particular school's admittance standards are higher. This is particularly true for Big Ten schools, where standards are high. SEC, not so much. NCAA FCS, not so much.

I had a 29 on my ACT and had a hard time getting into the U, years ago but getting accepted was very tentative, grades were average, good enough to be in the National Honor Society but not great.

That simply isn't true. While there is a baseline NCAA guideline, there is absolutely no doubt that certain schools have higher standards than the baseline admittance guidelines. There are a lot of instances where a guy is academically qualified to by NCAA standards, but won't be admitted into school because that particular school's admittance standards are higher. This is particularly true for Big Ten schools, where standards are high. SEC, not so much. NCAA FCS, not so much.

Correct. There is even a difference among individual Big Ten schools. NCAA standards are a minimum.

Hmmmmmm

If you wanted to be an English major, I'd have to agree with your "councilor"...

There are only two conferences in all of DI that I know of with an Academic Index ('AI'); the Ivy League and the closely related Patriot League.

So I doubt that the Big Ten has any standards defined for football recruits and if there is, I doubt they're higher than the NCAA guidelines. Prove me wrong, I'll gladly admit it.

As to the individual schools in the Big Ten (or any individual school in DI, for that matter), yes of course they can choose not to admit a football recruit because he doesn't meet the school's minimum standards. Every school can always choose to do that, if they see that the minimum NCAA standard is not good enough.

I also recognize that the U probably has higher than average admittance standards for any new undergrad.

That said - I flat out don't believe that the U has ever or will ever deny admission to a football recruit, so long as he meets the NCAA standards. Why would a school, especially a public school, ever do it? It does literally nothing to the overall student population to admit a few "low scorers". No one cares how these guys do in school - so long as they score points and make tackles. Prove me wrong. Provide me a documented case where the University of Minn denied admission to a football recruit that the coach wanted because he met the NCAA minimum academic standard, but that wasn't good enough for the U.

Which is probably why they have some athletes retake the ACT test or have flags on some before allowing admission even though they may have "passed" the ACT...

There are only two conferences in all of DI that I know of with an Academic Index ('AI'); the Ivy League and the closely related Patriot League.

So I doubt that the Big Ten has any standards defined for football recruits and if there is, I doubt they're higher than the NCAA guidelines. Prove me wrong, I'll gladly admit it.

As to the individual schools in the Big Ten (or any individual school in DI, for that matter), yes of course they can choose not to admit a football recruit because he doesn't meet the school's minimum standards. Every school can always choose to do that, if they see that the minimum NCAA standard is not good enough.

I also recognize that the U probably has higher than average admittance standards for any new undergrad.

That said - I flat out don't believe that the U has ever or will ever deny admission to a football recruit, so long as he meets the NCAA standards. Why would a school, especially a public school, ever do it? It does literally nothing to the overall student population to admit a few "low scorers". No one cares how these guys do in school - so long as they score points and make tackles. Prove me wrong. Provide me a documented case where the University of Minn denied admission to a football recruit that the coach wanted because he met the NCAA minimum academic standard, but that wasn't good enough for the U.

But that is one of the problems with the SEC. They admit athletes with lower academic scores.

The history at the U is simply they have denied FB players over academic issues, and some of them were very good FB players, even when other BT schools make a way for the students to get in. Sid has historically howled about that.

The Haskin's scandal made it even harder/worse then it already was.

The Big Ten doesn't have a set conference baseline for admissions, but each school in the Big Ten has it's own set of criteria. They absolutely have tougher admission requirements than the NCAA standards.

Take a look at this article talking about Nebraska's potential change in recruiting. http://www.omaha.com/article/20100620/BIGRED/706209859

I was really smart in high school. Probably could have gotten in anywhere

Top Bottom