Shooter Now: Gophers AD has 'no idea' when Jerry Kill will return

BleedGopher

Reaction score
University of Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi said he has "no idea" when Gophers football coach Jerry Kill might be released from the hospital or if Kill will be able to coach Saturday at Michigan.

"The guy's got some health issues that we're going to take care of," Maturi said this morning. "I'm more concerned about Jerry right now than I am any other aspect."

Maturi said Kill, 50, was in stable condition at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., after admitting himself Sunday following another seizure that morning. It was the second time Kill had been hospitalized for seizures in two weeks.

"We're going to try to find out what's wrong," Maturi said.

Kill, who has a seizure disorder, suffered a seizure on the sidelines late in the Gophers' Sept. 10 game against New Mexico State. Kill has suffered a number of seizures since then, he said last week.

Maturi said Kill was upfront about his health history when the Gophers hired him in December.

"He's continued to coach, and he's been pretty successful doing it his way," Maturi said. "For whatever reason, he's had a relapse or whatever it is of these seizures. We can't get it under control, and we need to find a way.

"I feel badly for everybody involved, but it's like anything else - it's the hand we're dealt, and we're going to deal with it in the right way. We're blessed to have a staff that's been with Jerry and knows who he is, knows what he wants, and they'll carry it on real well. Hopefully, our kids will respond appropriately."

As for future Gophers players, Kill had felt good about his early recruiting, and it's unclear whether Kill's condition will have any effect.

"I would hope not," Maturi said. "First of all, the signing date isn't until February, and we hope to get this all resolved long before that."

For now, the Gophers have to begin Big Ten play Saturday. The game is at Michigan, where Minnesota, as usual against the Wolverines, figure to be decided underdogs.

"The great thing about sports is that the old adage of one game at a time really applies," Maturi said. "Every game starts out 0-0. We're obviously going to have to play a whole lot better."

Minnesota is expected to play before almost 110,000 spectators at Michigan's "Big House."

As for North Dakota State's stunning 37-24 victory over the Gophers before almost 49,000 spectators Saturday evening at TCF Bank Stadium, Maturi said he was "really impressed" with the Bison.

"It shows you how a team can beat individuals," Maturi said. "None of those kids were recruited to play in the Big Ten, and the fact of the matter is that if most of them were on our team, they wouldn't be starting for us. That's just a truism.

"But when you play together as a team, and you play with confidence and continual intensity, you have a chance to win, and that's what they do. And good for them."

The Gophers' nonconference schedule is almost set through 2015 without North Dakota State. But Maturi sounded as if the Bison could appear on the slate after that.

"We'll continue to play regional Division 1-AA teams," he said.

South Dakota State is on the schedule in 2015. Minnesota's nonconference games next year are at Nevada-Las Vegas and at home against New Hampshire and Western Michigan.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_18979699

Go Gophers!!

Actually, the headline could be shortend, Gopher AD has no idea. Joel has shown he has no idea on many levels.

This situation just sucks and makes me sad. I hope they get it figured out soon.

This situation just sucks and makes me sad. I hope they get it figured out soon.

That sums it up for me too. Just depressing. You want to be concerned about football, and instead you're worrying about a guys health...

....which in turn makes you worry about football again.

A real downer on multiple levels.

Shooter also fails to mention we play Syracuse in the NC next year at home as well.

joel maturi - please don't speak to the press anymore. just stop. please let a subordinate of yours in the athletic department field questions going forward. it is mainly because i just can't stand reading quotes from you anymore. the way you put almost everything for some reason makes me want to go and punch random people in the face. quite frankly, i just don't like you at all.....well intentioned or not.

Maturi should be held accountable for the zoo that was the St. Paul Fairgrounds parking lot on Saturday. It was also a perfect example of why we cannot expand in the forseeable future (even if the demand were there). The infrastructure to shuttle people from the stadium to St. Paul is max'd out.

It took 45 minutes to get through the line and get TO the stadium. After the game it took an hour to get back to my car.

Actually, the headline could be shortend, Gopher AD has no idea. Joel has shown he has no idea on many levels.

I would think all the media in town have pre-set templates for Joel.

'AD Joel Maturi has no idea about _____. Maturi had no comment on the advice of U lawyers, but believes things will work themselves out best if everyone just does nothing and lets things play out on their own. 'Never make a decision until you have to, Maturi said about _____.

Maturi should be held accountable for the zoo that was the St. Paul Fairgrounds parking lot on Saturday. It was also a perfect example of why we cannot expand in the forseeable future (even if the demand were there). The infrastructure to shuttle people from the stadium to St. Paul is max'd out.

It took 45 minutes to get through the line and get TO the stadium. After the game it took an hour to get back to my car.

Yea just imagine how bad it will be on the 22nd when Nebraska comes in, however I was very impressed with how such a small school can tailgate at the level it was on Saturday. I walked around and talked to a few of their fans while taking pictures of their stuff so I have some new ideas for next year. I know we have a bunch of lots to tailgate in, but I would love to see our fans party like that.

Top Bottom