with OUR gophers for the long haul. always will be. won't waver...ever

supadupafly

Reaction score
our family is with OUR boys at the U through thick and thin. good times or bad. we are staying on the rollercoaster through the valleys and peaks and not getting off the ride. not going to only tell people they are great kids when they are winning and then turn around and only tell people they suck if they are losing. THAT......is the definition of a lame a$$ band wagon fan. we will be there to support OUR STATE's college team no matter how many others are there with us.

am i happy about the inconsistency and some of the losses over the last 4 seasons and willing to just settle? no, of course not. but our family also had fun at gopher bowl games in 2008 and 2009. and yes, of course we want OUR golden gophers to get back to a more consistent pattern of winning and away from this more recent trend of playing down to the level of their competition.

our colors are not going to bleed. our family will ALWAYS be proud to wear our MAROON & GOLD and we will always fully support OUR golden gopher footballers. always.

pro sports teams and millionaire hired guns will come and go. they will head right out of town looking for that next big contract like they always do. but our golden gopher footballers will always be right here in minneapolis. working to win that next game and make minnesota proud. just like they always have since way back in 1882. go gophers! ski-u-mah!

i needed to get this out.......thanks! :)

The IOWA Game last year filled my cup for a long time...

our colors are not going to bleed. our family will ALWAYS be proud to wear our MAROON & GOLD and we will always fully support OUR golden gopher footballers. always.

It builds character to be a committed Gopher Fan.

our family is with OUR boys at the U through thick and thin. good times or bad. we are staying on the rollercoaster through the valleys and peaks and not getting off the ride. not going to only tell people they are great kids when they are winning and then turn around and only tell people they suck if they are losing. THAT......is the definition of a lame a$$ band wagon fan. we will be there to support OUR STATE's college team no matter how many others are there with us.

am i happy about the inconsistency and some of the losses over the last 4 seasons and willing to just settle? no, of course not. but our family also had fun at gopher bowl games in 2008 and 2009. and yes, of course we want OUR golden gophers to get back to a more consistent pattern of winning and away from this more recent trend of playing down to the level of their competition.

pro sports teams and millionaire hired guns will come and go. they will head right out of town looking for that next big contract like they always do. but our golden gopher footballers will always be right here in minneapolis. working to win that next game and make minnesota proud. just like they always have since way back in 1882. go gophers! ski-u-mah!

i needed to get this out.......thanks! :)

+10000000

I'm with you here buddy!

If you looked up at Section 239 about 4 minutes after the gun on Saturday night, you would have seen me, Mrs. GoGophersRah and the two little guys all singing Hail Minnesota with the team, band & spirit squad.

I support this team and its coach 100%.

Go Gophers!

Well stated is an understatement. Being a fan means more than one play, one series, one half, one game, one season or one coaches tenure. It is about the University, the colors, the mascot. The coach leading them onto the field changes, more often than we would like. The win column might not reach numbers we would desire. Yet that won't stop me from making it up for the Iowa game and cheering like crazy (wedding making me miss Nebraska).

When I was talking with my brother about it, he put it very directly: "I'm not in this for wins and losses. If I was, I would have been out a long time ago." Yes, we've seen valleys. It's now reached the point that when I sport my Golden Gopher jacket to a high school game on Friday night in Wisconsin people don't give me flack, they just say good for you for hanging in there. This hurts that the rivalry seems so distant to them that it's not worth telling me the Gophers are terrible.

We have had grand moments: Gary Russell's run at Michigan, Rhys Lloyd hoping the bench to get the Ax, the fans taking the field after knocking of those blasted hawkeyes. I plan on being there for the ups and the downs...they are my team. Win or lose, 1-11 or 11-1. Some day I hope we do make it to Pasadena. If we don't, I'll cheer just as loud, opening every season at Sterbs so I can wax poetic about the hopes I have for the season.

Go Gophers, Beat Michigan.
Ski U Mah.

Well stated is an understatement. Being a fan means more than one play, one series, one half, one game, one season or one coaches tenure. It is about the University, the colors, the mascot. The coach leading them onto the field changes, more often than we would like. The win column might not reach numbers we would desire. Yet that won't stop me from making it up for the Iowa game and cheering like crazy (wedding making me miss Nebraska).

When I was talking with my brother about it, he put it very directly: "I'm not in this for wins and losses. If I was, I would have been out a long time ago." Yes, we've seen valleys. It's now reached the point that when I sport my Golden Gopher jacket to a high school game on Friday night in Wisconsin people don't give me flack, they just say good for you for hanging in there. This hurts that the rivalry seems so distant to them that it's not worth telling me the Gophers are terrible.

We have had grand moments: Gary Russell's run at Michigan, Rhys Lloyd hoping the bench to get the Ax, the fans taking the field after knocking of those blasted hawkeyes. I plan on being there for the ups and the downs...they are my team. Win or lose, 1-11 or 11-1. Some day I hope we do make it to Pasadena. If we don't, I'll cheer just as loud, opening every season at Sterbs so I can wax poetic about the hopes I have for the season.

Ski U Mah.

+1,000.

Ski U Mah.

kane-slow-clap.gif

Not me. I've been a Gopher fan for 25 years, and it's been really, really, really tough at time.

However, the second it gets really, really, really, REALLY tough, I'm outta here.

(kidding. However my wife posted to her facebook page on Saturday that she wondered whether being a Gopher fan showed she was either a masochist, or the world's greatest optimist. The first comment back was, "yes.")

Even with the terrible losses it will always be worth it to drive up to games every Saturday. I love our Gophers and can't wait enjoy the great times, even if it is a long way away.

It's not easy being a Gopher football fan but the new stadium has made it easier. I am with them forever.

Ski U Mah.

Ski U Mah indeed!

Unless you have been living and dying with the team for at least 40 years you in no way can be considered a long suffering Gopher football fan. Your profession of loyalty to the Gophers is not even a blip on the radar screen compared to many of us. However long you have been a fan is the very least we expect of you. You have a lot more disappointment and suffering to go through before you can be considered a true Gopher football fan.

Ski U Mah.

GopherinWi speaks the truth. His group was fervently cheering the entire game. We need more fans like him and his group. We did our best, but advantage: GopherinWi

Count me in as a Gopher forever.

Ski U Mah.

Well said. SKI U MAH forever.

I'll be a Gopher fan forever, it just may be from my couch next year.

Unless you have been living and dying with the team for at least 40 years you in no way can be considered a long suffering Gopher football fan. Your profession of loyalty to the Gophers is not even a blip on the radar screen compared to many of us. However long you have been a fan is the very least we expect of you. You have a lot more disappointment and suffering to go through before you can be considered a true Gopher football fan.

That's the spirit.

None of us are going anywhere, even the most cantankerous of us. :)

When I was talking with my brother about it, he put it very directly: "I'm not in this for wins and losses. If I was, I would have been out a long time ago."

So true. I don't see too many games in person but I went on Saturday and I had a blast for 5.5 of the 6 hours I was there. Before the game I walked around the tailgate lots and I was so astonished by how far this "experience" has come. Don't get me wrong, while the pre and post game events are miles ahead of the metrodump, we still have a long way to go but that's for another thread.

Even when I watched a replay of the game on tv later I was blown away by how beautiful the stadium and skyline were at dusk. I am going to continue to be a fan because this is our state and we are all owners of this team and this university.

When I am in a nursing home they damn well better have the Gopher game on.

I've never assigned a number to a post, but this is the most depressing post I've ever read.

debbie_downer_1.jpg

Ski U Mah.

Can you get James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman to read this?

+10000

So those of us under 45 who were still standing and screaming at the end of the game are not considered 'true Gopher football fans'.

If it wasn't so raspy today, my voice would contradict you. We may not be "long suffering" fans, but fans we are.

Lets call it perspective, if you were there in 1967 and the team went to Lincoln and lost 7-0. Or were at Purdue where they were pasted. Costing the team the outright Big 10 Championship and an undisputed trip to the Rosebowl. Then you are a long suffering fan. If you were there when Cal Stoll beat Rick Leach and Michigan or were there two years later when he was let go in favor of Joe Salem you get the picture. If you were there when Salem, Sid, and even Paul Giel favored abandoning Memorial Stadium in favor a second rate domed stadium you had you heart torn out. If you were in the dome in 1982 with the Gophers 3-0 vs. Illinois. The highlight of Jay Carroll vs. Ohio State was but a memory. '82 begot '83 and the Gophers had to set some sort of record. They of course gave up 84 to Nebrasaka but the defense that year gave up a total of 518 points in eleven games for an average of 47 points per game. The 80's saw two years of Holtz and we got an early Christmas Present from him. Guety won at Michigan and lost to Pacific in the same year. I was there. Nothing, not all of Dakota can compare to Ricky Foggie and Darryl Thompson and the Coaching staff being unable to do anything against Pacific. The Wacker era is a blur. And then the Mason years. I need not recover those as I would assume if you are long suffering you went through the Purdue loses, the Northwestern Hail Mary, and the Michigan loss. The pitchback to Hamner at Penn State. There was enough suffering in those years to harden any fan. But to find fault, or claim suffering with maybe 60 practice session, one off season conditiioning program, and 4 games is nothing. Losing to the State schools will hopefully be nothing more than a blip in our rear veiw mirrror. It hurts to lose, the long suffering is ony a matter of prospective.

Count me in as well!

strange as it may seem, I believe the pieces are coming together for this program. There will not be a watershed moment that turns it 'on', but in 3 years we will be a formidable team.

We now know why the 'experts' only picked us to win 3 games. They were not being mean, just fair.

How many other teams have lost 3 1AA games since 07 other than us? Duke maybe? To be honest saturday night was probably the first time since I've been closely following the team (1999) that I was legitimately embarrassed to be a Gopher fan. I started questioning my sanity as to why I still get excited each year for Gopher football only to have crap like this happen.

But then I remembered that I am a Gopher fan and I simply turn the other cheek and say "thank you sir, may I have another?"

There's always next year, right?

So because I'm not young I can't be considered a suffering fan of the gophers? Things like this will make young gopher fans not want to go to games if that's how they are treated.

So because I'm not young I can't be considered a suffering fan of the gophers? Things like this will make young gopher fans not want to go to games if that's how they are treated.

Sorry, zammer. Until you have paid your dues by watching 10 or more football games in person where the team loses in the 2nd half by squandering a large lead with conservative play calling, prevent defenses, bad penalties, and inoportune turnovers, you can only be considered a probationary True Gopher Football Fan.

We all knew that we still had some tough times to deal with, just the Iowa win last year, the hype from Jerry Kill, and almost beating USC got most of us (myself included) way too excited for the season. Just remember that this year doesn't really matter, it's a transition year. This is supposed to happen when a totally new program is introduced. We'll see some progress towards the end of the season, I'm confident about that, but it is still going to take a while. The night is darkest just before the dawn.

Top Bottom