Bottom third

gbbfan

Reaction score
Lets take an honest look at our starters and rate them either top third, middle third, or bottom third:

Point guard: Nolen, bottom third. Poor shooter, decent driver but makes poor decisions with his passes, takes a lot of chances on defense, sometimes it pays off but many times he loses his man.

Shooting guard: Westbrook, bottom third. At times is effective on offense but bigger athletic players give him the fits, poor ball handler, poor passer, weak on defense, but scrappy and isn't afraid to attack the basket, however he doesn't have the vertical jump to get a lot of his shots off.

Center: Sampson, bottom third, only a freshman, will be be upper third someday but not yet

Power forward: Iverson, bottom third, same as Sampson

Shooting forward: Johnson, maybe middle third because of defense, can't create his own shot on defense, limited shooting range, seems to have become very lackadaisical on offense as of late, brilliant on defense sometimes but as of late has had too many dumb fouls.

Team defense: middle third, great at times, but still doesn't cover 3-point shots very well

Team offense: bottom third, no idea what they are doing

So it seems obvious to me that our current slide is not just a "slump" but more than likely an apt description of what we really are - a bottom third team.

I guess I'd probably bump nolen to the middle. He is superior defensively. And the low third guys you mentioned are just under middle if I were to agree with your assesment. And then you have to consider other aspects such as depth. All in all I think we're probably playing more like the lower middle right now. Our placement in the standings is probably a pretty realistic spot for us right now. I don't think we're as bad as we've looked.

Do we have a single player on our team that would make the first, second, or third All-Big Ten teams?

Do we have a single player on our team that would make the first, second, or third All-Big Ten teams?

Absolutely not. Westbrook was poised after the Wisconsine & NW games, but now there's no shot.

So it seems obvious to me that our current slide is not just a "slump" but more than likely an apt description of what we really are - a bottom third team.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that statement.
The early part of the year we played cupcakes. (With the exception of Louis.)
That gave a "false sense of security" and lulled many fans into thinking we
were better than we actually were. Once entering Big Ten play, the competition level went up and the teams weaknesses were exposed.

Top Bottom