How about Gray at running back?

diefirma

Reaction score
I don't think Gray is that great at receiver but the kid can run. Plus when he is given the ball the D could never be sure he wasn't going to pass so D backs would have to stay back giving Gray more room. Gray could also circle out of the backfield to make a large, outlet target for Shortell. For those who say Gray is too tall I think J. D. Pride who played with Tony Dungy was also very tall. At 245 pounds he would have a lot of power inside, the size to block linebackers and the speed to break some long runs.

I said the same thing in a different thread. If Shortell is under center, he'd have an option to Gray at TB and Gray would have the halfback pass option, too. Why not have some two running back sets, as well? This pistol offense with Gray tucking the ball and running much of the time while passing at not much above 50% is not going to do it in the Big Ten.

So far Gray has shown that he can't pass. Even some of his completions are not very sharp. He has the arm and I would like to think that he will get better, but you have to wonder why Brew did not put him in with all of the presure that he was getting.

Gray is unreal when he runs, so why not?

This is one of the worst ideas i've ever seen on this site, and that's saying something.

This is one of the worst ideas i've ever seen on this site, and that's saying something.

Could not agree more. I was hoping the OP was speaking tongue-in-cheek. Gray at RB is preposterous for so many reasons I do not even know where to begin.

While I typically don't argue with my caddy, Gray will never be a serious quarterback at this level.

We were all wrong for calling for Gray the last two seasons, in place of Weber.

Could not agree more. I was hoping the OP was speaking tongue-in-cheek. Gray at RB is preposterous for so many reasons I do not even know where to begin.

Just give me a few reasons. I admit I may be wrong but SAYING I'm wrong doesn't make it so. Please explain WHY I am wrong. Yes, Gray is very tall but, as I mentioned, so was J.D. Pride and he was very effective.

Just give me a few reasons. I admit I may be wrong but SAYING I'm wrong doesn't make it so. Please explain WHY I am wrong. Yes, Gray is very tall but, as I mentioned, so was J.D. Pride and he was very effective.

1. He has never played RB (as far as I know).
2. Related to #1, he seems to take a while to adjust to new positions.
3. Related to #'s 1 and 2, RB is much, much more than taking the ball and hitting the hole. He would have to learn how to read and pick up blitzes, which given the state of the OL would be equally important to running ability.
4. RB is not a position of weakness or lack of depth at this point.

If anything he would stay as #2 QB with some Wildcat back features.

At 6-4 and never having played the position, pad level is a huge issue. It is different taking off with the ball from the QB position and taking a handoff, getting your pad level low and driving forward for yardage.

1. He has never played RB (as far as I know).
2. Related to #1, he seems to take a while to adjust to new positions.
3. Related to #'s 1 and 2, RB is much, much more than taking the ball and hitting the hole. He would have to learn how to read and pick up blitzes, which given the state of the OL would be equally important to running ability.
4. RB is not a position of weakness or lack of depth at this point.

If anything he would stay as #2 QB with some Wildcat back features.

Gray had never played wide receiver. He seemed to pick that up fairly quickly.
I think the overall point is that Gray's strength is running the ball. The coaching staff needs to put him in a better scheme to do that. I think that's the biggest problem. The scheme....the play calls.

Top Bottom