What Offense Does Tubby Run?

Honyocker

Gophers-In Good or Bad Times
Reaction score
I can't tell what the offensive scheme does Tubby run. Anyone want to take a shot at what they trying to do on offense?

I don't know. I do know that our under the basket in-bounds plays are terribly conceived. We usually line up four on the baseline, one guy goes to the hoop, and we throw an over the top lob to a post 20 feet from the rim.

I looked up the philosphy of trying to have more then one player in the same spot, trying to throw long high passes acress the court, and standing where a defender is between you and the ball. I haven't found anything yet.

I don't know. I do know that our under the basket in-bounds plays are terribly conceived. We usually line up four on the baseline, one guy goes to the hoop, and we throw an over the top lob to a post 20 feet from the rim.
Couldn't agree more. I've lamented about our utter lack of out of bounds plays all season.

If I were an opposing team, I wouldn't be scared about giving up the easy bucket underneath. I'd actually relish a chance to guard our baseline out of bounds play, because there is an 85% chance it will result in a turnover.

There is no offensive identity. No plan on who needs the ball when. No organization. No "go-to" guy when the shot clock is winding down.

And most importantly.......none of our ball handlers can create their own shot. This makes it so difficult to operate when the shot clock is winding down - which seems like every possession.

Every other B10 team has guards who can create and make plays and score. We don't.

I can't tell what the offensive scheme does Tubby run. Anyone want to take a shot at what they trying to do on offense?

I was thinking of posting the same question. I guess the idea is to pass the ball around until one of the following happens: First, hopefully a three point shooter gets open. Second, we turn the ball over. Third, time runs out.

Gophers Offense

The gophers have an offense. It's been proven we have scorers, but the inside game is suspect.
We live in a physical conference and we don't have physical players in the paint. We have a point guard who is able to deliver the ball. But no movement to set backdoor plays, no pick and rolls, or double picks. No inside/out high or low post plays. Just passing around the perimeter.
The other teams in the conference have scouted our guys. They know to double down and step in passing lines to nolify the inside threat. If our point guard penetrates the defense just rotates over and shuts all the passing lanes down. That's due to a lack of rotation by players without the ball. We need to work on this. We've got the scorers.

Good analysis

The gophers have an offense. It's been proven we have scorers, but the inside game is suspect.
We live in a physical conference and we don't have physical players in the paint. We have a point guard who is able to deliver the ball. But no movement to set backdoor plays, no pick and rolls, or double picks. No inside/out high or low post plays. Just passing around the perimeter.
The other teams in the conference have scouted our guys. They know to double down and step in passing lines to nolify the inside threat. If our point guard penetrates the defense just rotates over and shuts all the passing lanes down. That's due to a lack of rotation by players without the ball. We need to work on this. We've got the scorers.

And welcome to the board. I hope you continue posting.
I went to the IU game with a friend who played guard for the gophers in the 60's. After the first five minutes he said, "Where's the guy? Where's the star - the one who wants the ball?" We have people who can score but their collective confidence is low - for obvious reasons.

We ran a couple really good offensive sets early in the game with the new starting line-up. This was the best the offense has looked pretty much all BT season (that isn't saying much, but still there was improvement). More than one guy was moving at once, screens were being set away from the ball, and we got some good looks. We got "scared," as Tubby put it and reverted back to our old ways as the deficit grew thanks to some hot shooting by the Wolverines. The team needs to learn to trust the offense even when things aren't going their way on the other end of the court. It'd be nice to see Tubby take a timeout before we get down 20 to remind his guys of this.

caiusov,

>>We've got the scorers.<<

I guess I don't see that right now. I see a nice group of role players at this point, some of whom are very young and have very nice potential. We lack the go-to scorers who could provide the identity, confidence, and consistent offense that we seem to need.

Our offense is geared toward the jump shooters because that is what we got. We won a lot of games this year because we knocked down the outside shot, you stop that and the Gophs are done. We don't have the individuals with the skills to penetrate and create nor the big guy that can post up and get 15 points. While we had some success at driving at times during the season, that was also when the team played with confidence and when you have confidence your willing to do a few things outside of your comfort zone.

Of course they are acting like role players. We have a starting line up, but after 7 mins they are substituted like a line change in hockey. In a game like last night on another team's floor, is it good to make wholesale changes like that. Michigan went on a scoring run at that point and never looked back. So, how can a leader or group of leaders be established. We have a point guard (quarterback) who is one of the best in the big ten. Let him make mistakes, but, establish with the team the he is the leader. Leave him on the floor and give him some help.

We don't like to admit that we just don't have the personnel yet to dominate in the Big Ten. No amount of strategy or coaching will overcome that. We'll continue to look bad this season against quick, athletic teams because there is great coaching in this league. Teams that are coached to defend and also have both power and perimeter games will overmatch us. We're just not there yet.

The loss to Northwestern is the one that stumps me.

I agree, our lack of continuity killed us last night. The big changes are fine for developing players and finding out what you've got. It's particularly useful in our situation where the talent would otherwise be on the bench while the less talented but more experienced players hog minutes. But at some point you should figure it out and settle on guys and rotate in a more traditional manner. I think Tubby knows this, and last year that's pretty much what happened. Maybe, he just can't figure it out this year. I'm not so sure it's as obvious this year who should be getting the minutes as it was last year.

Point Taken

First of all, thank you Moonlight for welcoming me.
And I have to agree that we don't yet have the talent to compete at the top of the Big Ten. But, I believe that we can be in the Top 5 in the Big Ten. We should be able to defeat Penn State, Northwestern and Ohio State.
I look forward to discussing our Golden Gophers with you all a lot more in the future

One of their most commonly run plays is the flex. It's nothing new, but the Gophers run it and have nobody who can break out of it and create. That is part of the problem.

His teams at Tulsa, Georgia, and Kentucky ran different offenses, depending on personnel.

His 2001 team was relatively high scoring (80 ppg) like his 1998 team. Both ran fast break often.

His Tulsa teams in 1994 and 1995 were also high scoring teams.

His 2003 team ran a more deliberate offense but emphasized strong defense and high FG % shooting.

We don't like to admit that we just don't have the personnel yet to dominate in the Big Ten. No amount of strategy or coaching will overcome that. We'll continue to look bad this season against quick, athletic teams because there is great coaching in this league. Teams that are coached to defend and also have both power and perimeter games will overmatch us. We're just not there yet.

The loss to Northwestern is the one that stumps me.

Gophers looked good most of the 1st half that day.

NWU has done the same thing (rallied in 2nd half) to others this year, including Ohio St last weekend.

But NWU flopped in 2nd half vs. Purdue and Illinois after holding Double Digit leads in 2nd half.

I see one major problem is that we have an offense but the players run it like they are running drills at practice. They are slow, sometimes standing still, and sluggish. This lack of intensity has slowed our defense, which at the beginning of the season, won some games. We have some quick players who can pass, but nearly every move is easy to read.

Top Bottom