I hope Tubby took notes from Beilein

Zeppelin Gopher

Reaction score
Michigan runs a very efficient and effective offense.

We don't have an offense.

We needed another anti-tubby thread? Brilliant!

This isn't anti-Tubby. I love Tubby, but our offense is completely diseased.

Tubby is a fantastic coach I wouldn't trade him. He's recruited here like no one else could have. However, his offense looks to be his achilles heal. Not good on spacing or movement and getting worse as the season moves on.

The truth is I've been watching this team for 2 years and I have no idea what Tubby's offensive philosophy is. What offense do we run? What is our goal on offense? Who do we want shooting the ball? Nobody knows and I don't think the players really know either

It is the 3 out 2 in offense from what I see. Trying to set up a high low for the inside. Unfortunately Colton and Ralph are not ready. I thought Paul and Ralph were better but the team went away from it. I'll be patient with it as long as they players improve.

All i know is look at the box score tonight... RSIII was 2-3 shooting. Colton was 3-3. DJ was 3-4. PC was 0-1 but kept getting fouled every time he made a move. Westbrook was 6-15. Nolen 2-6. Hoff 2-8. In my opinion we could have won this game if we kept pushing the ball inside. I know our bigs are young, but they had a definite advantage in this game that we could have exploited. Who knows, maybe pounding the ball inside gets us more open looks outside (there is no way Mich can guard any of our bigs in the post without doubling)

The thing is that its not just that C45 and RSIII aren't ready, its that the guards don't really look to get it inside. If the goal is really a high low they do an absolutely terrible job of executing it

>>What offense do we run? What is our goal on offense? Who do we want shooting the ball?<<

They're all either role players or still growing up. Add a go-to offensive threat to this bunch and we'd be just fine. We're damn lucky to have Tubby Smith.

We just don't have the guys with confidence on this team. Some of it is youth, some...

Nolen passing up open looks, Iverson dumping the ball off three feet from the basket. No team leader on the court. There's only so much Tubby can do. At some point the kids need to take charge and perform.

Carter was slicing and dicing their defense apart with his passes...for the first 3 minutes.

I love how Tubby has the boys move the ball around until the get the worst shot possible.

I wonder what Tubby thinks when he watched it unfold. you know he's gotta be about ready to lose it.

The offense would look better if the post players start shooting like they did tonight. I don't blame Nolen and co. for not getting Colton and Ralph the ball that much down low because when they do get it, they never look to make a move and score; instead they pass it back out where it stays for the remainder of the shot clock. The post players need to be more aggressive and go up with it. Iverson has no real post moves yet but he has been successful in drawing fouls at least when he does try to score. The offense also needs to feature some more cuts through the lane and back screens (not just when we're looking for Hoffarber to get an open 3).

The truth is I've been watching this team for 2 years and I have no idea what Tubby's offensive philosophy is. What offense do we run? What is our goal on offense? Who do we want shooting the ball? Nobody knows and I don't think the players really know either

Tubby is a defensive minded coach. That is where he puts almost all of
his coaching efforts. All you have to do is listen to how many times he
mentions the word "defense". If you were to ask the players I would
bet they would tell you that 75 percent of practice time is spent
working on defense.

If you were to ask the players I would
bet they would tell you that 75 percent of practice time is spent
working on defense.

You are absolutely, 100% wrong in this assertion. Nice story, though.

GoGoGophers- You speak as one who knows something on the inside. Can you give us some clue as to what the offensive strategy is? What are the players suppposed to be doing that they are not and why is it not getting corrected? Please don't say - they need to hit more shots- because that, while obvious, is not the answer. It IS obvious that other teams we face look more fluid on offense and get more open looks. What is your assessment?

Tubby should hire an offensive minded assistant similar to what Lute Olson did for his defense when he hired Kevin O'Neal

Perhaps you should listen to Tubby more often and LISTEN to
how much he talks about defense.

Several former UK players have been ask about Tubby and his practices,
and they have said that MOST of their practice time was used to
work on defense.

Tubby has stated on many occasion: " offense may win games, but
defense wins championships "

I was under the impression that winning games is what won championships.

Believe me, Tubby's coaching philosophy is based upon defense.

Defense is fine but you must also have a potent offense to go
very far in Div1 b-ball these days.

Perhaps you should listen to Tubby more often and LISTEN to
how much he talks about defense...

...Believe me, Tubby's coaching philosophy is based upon defense.

While that may be true, that's not what you said. You stated that they spend 75% of their practice time on defense. I told you that wasn't true, and it isn't.

To answer bga's question, Tubby has been stressing feeding the low post and playing inside-out for months. They are struggling executing for a myriad of reasons, including a lack of aggressiveness from the bigs (not converting touches to shots), an inablility of the guards to properly pass into the post (bad angles/poor timing), to just flat out terrible shooting.

They also try to run some high post when 2 bigs are in which has been beaten to death by posters on the board, as well as some standard motion offense when they go small. None have been working smoothly, and alot has to do with the lack of a "go-to" guy.

But to claim that every offense they see is better than theirs is stupid. The Gophs have never struggled like Illinois, Iowa, IU, et al. It always looks worse on your team.

I remember during the defense of everything Tubby when he got hired, KY posters said be prepared for a team where they go on stretches of no offense. Every time I see Flip in the background I wonder if Tubby would consider him as a consultant. There is venom on the football boards about our shotgun snaps in short yard situations (aka our coach sucks), and this board attacks the players (aka our players suck).

Every time I see the ball swinging from one side to the other you can see how late the players are at getting into an offensive position. Almost like they have no idea what the goal is of the ball movement from one player to the other.

Top Bottom