Bryant Allen on verge of passing up Hansbrough and Anthony Peeler in career pts

BleedGopher

Reaction score
MAPLEWOOD'S STAT MACHINE

Maplewood guard Bryant Allen has put up some impressive statistics during his outstanding four-year career with the Blue Devils and those stats are moving him up the record books.

Allen had scored 2,450 points going into Tuesday's game against Clayton, which ranks him fourth all-time among area players. He is trailing Crystal City's Bill Bradley (3,068 points from 1958-61), St. Charles West's Ryan Robertson (2,751 points from 1992-95) and Wesclin's Paul Lusk (2,743 points from 1986-90).

He was 22nd on the all-time scoring list for the state of Missouri going into Tuesday's game and needed just 73 points to jump into the top 15. Allen could soon surpass Poplar Bluff's Tyler Hansbrough (2,464) and Kansas City Paseo's Anthony Peeler (2,477).

Allen has already broken the state record for steals. His 483 steals passed Anthony Beane of Bernie, who had 462 steals from 1987-1990.

The Maplewood guard has also made 295 3-pointers in his career, which puts him third on the Missouri list for 3-pointers made. He trails Paul Rorvig of Odessa (355 from 1997-2000) and Brad Hocker of Archie (327 from 1989-1992).

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...C4963BFAE4D0860586257561000AC7B0?OpenDocument

Go Gophers!!

Allen is better than any PG on the Gophers right now. Of couse, that wouldn't take much. The kid is really a talented basketball player.

Play hoops, bag the football

Selfishly, if he's any good, once he gets here I hope he bags football and becomes a stud basketball player. Sounds like it would be good to have him 100% of the time, instead of part time like Ronald Curry or Charlie Ward.

Would he be able to convert to a basketball scholarship at some point? I almost wonder if he is going to be on the football team (bench) until a scholarship opens up, then head across the street to the barn permanantly.

Would he be able to convert to a basketball scholarship at some point? I almost wonder if he is going to be on the football team (bench) until a scholarship opens up, then head across the street to the barn permanantly.

I certainly hope so. From watching some of his game footage, he certainly looks like a player. His quickness and pull-up game is just the type of thing this team needs.

Selfishly, if he's any good, once he gets here I hope he bags football and becomes a stud basketball player. Sounds like it would be good to have him 100% of the time, instead of part time like Ronald Curry or Charlie Ward.

Has he publicly stated that he's planning on playing basketball?

It seems like it would be a nice loop hole to exploit if it exists. Basketball team is short on scholarships and doesn't necessarily need a player for the whole first season but has a definite need down the road (like Westbrook graduating perhaps?) so they put the stud basketball recruit on the football team for a year, list him as a back up punter perhaps, so he gets a free ride the first year. It isn't like college football teams need that many scholarships. So he sits, still practices with the basketball team, gets some spot minutes that first year. In the second year when the basketball team desperately needs to fill that roster spot they have the ready made recruit already on the team, and ready to go after practicing for a year. Suddenly the football team realizes it doesn't need that back up punter and the punter becomes a point guard, and everyone is happy.

If he wants to play both and be on scholarship, it has to be football scholarship. NCAA rule.

I can tell you guys this much, from what I've seen, he's going to contribute right away on the football team. I don't think that he will quit football just to focus on basketball. If anything, he will do the opposite. Hopefully he plays both, but I think he will be a more effective football player than bball player imo.

He is not being counted on to play basketball, at least that is there attitude right now and most likely will be until he actually shows up for practice next winter. Every year there are countless players who talk of playing multiple sports in college but reality quickly sets in and the demands of one sport are so much that it takes a pretty special kid to be able to do it, like an Eric Decker.
It's not that they won't welcome the addition, but they just aren't going to count on a kid that may never show up.

He is not being counted on to play basketball, at least that is there attitude right now and most likely will be until he actually shows up for practice next winter. Every year there are countless players who talk of playing multiple sports in college but reality quickly sets in and the demands of one sport are so much that it takes a pretty special kid to be able to do it, like an Eric Decker.
It's not that they won't welcome the addition, but they just aren't going to count on a kid that may never show up.

Larry Brown was starting PF at Georgia in mid 1990's under Tubby. He was football scholarship player.

I remember reading that Allen has talked to Tubby about playing both and Tubby is open to it. so while it might prove too much for the kid to do both, i think he hopes to.

i think he hopes too but it will be tough for him. not saying that he cant though. FOT, i think, Jonny was trying to say that they arent expecting him to play but that doesnt mean that he wont. he didnt say that tubby wouldnt let him play so i dont know what you meant by that larry brown comment

It seems like it would be a nice loop hole to exploit if it exists. Basketball team is short on scholarships and doesn't necessarily need a player for the whole first season but has a definite need down the road (like Westbrook graduating perhaps?) so they put the stud basketball recruit on the football team for a year, list him as a back up punter perhaps, so he gets a free ride the first year. It isn't like college football teams need that many scholarships. So he sits, still practices with the basketball team, gets some spot minutes that first year. In the second year when the basketball team desperately needs to fill that roster spot they have the ready made recruit already on the team, and ready to go after practicing for a year. Suddenly the football team realizes it doesn't need that back up punter and the punter becomes a point guard, and everyone is happy.

If a football team existed to help a basketball program you might be on to something. However, why would a football coach waste one of his scholarships for a year to help a different sport? The reason the NCAA mandates that a player playing football and any other sport counts toward football is because football generates more revenue. If a player was here for basketball & track he would count toward basketball.

I'm not saying that Allen couldn't switch over but it would either be because he is buried on the depth chart in football or basketball wants him to start and he likes basketball more (+ basketball would have to have a scholarship available to him).

i think he hopes too but it will be tough for him. not saying that he cant though. FOT, i think, Jonny was trying to say that they arent expecting him to play but that doesnt mean that he wont. he didnt say that tubby wouldnt let him play so i dont know what you meant by that larry brown comment

Tubby likes football players. He wanted Dennis Johnson and Derek Smith to play basketball at UK but the football coach nixed both.

Top Bottom