"Blind Resume" Part II

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Again we have 7 teams jostling for the final 3 at-large bids. You're on the Selection Committee. Which 3 do you select? All teams listed here would generally be considered bubble teams if they failed to win their conference tournament. I've picked my 3. Deadline for your selections is 3:30 p.m. If you have an inkling who any of these teams are, zip it, do not speculate here. The idea is to not give any of these teams a name.

Team A
vs. Top 50: 2-1
vs. Top 100: 6-2
Road/Neutral Record: 10-3
Overall SOS: 97
Nonconference SOS: 22
Last 10: 7-3
Bad Losses (101+ in RPI): 2

Team B
vs. Top 50: 1-0
vs. Top 100: 6-4
Road/Neutral Record: 9-4
Overall SOS: 127
Nonconference SOS: 174
Last 10: 8-2

Team C
vs. Top 50: 1-3
vs. Top 100: 2-3
Road/Neutral Record: 11-3
Overall SOS: 143
Nonconference SOS: 19
Last 10: 8-2

Team D
vs. Top 50: 2-4
vs. Top 100: 6-5
Road/Neutral Record: 6-6
Overall SOS: 100
Nonconference SOS: 226
Last 10: 6-4
Bad Losses (101+ in RPI): 1

Team E
vs. Top 50: 3-4
vs. Top 100: 6-7
Road/Neutral Record: 7-4
Overall SOS: 82
Nonconference SOS: 183
Last 10: 6-4

Team F
vs. Top 50: 3-7
vs. Top 100: 4-8
Road/Neutral Record: 3-8
Overall SOS: 15
Nonconference SOS: 57
Last 10: 5-5

Team G
vs. Top 50: 1-1
vs. Top 100: 4-2
Road/Neutral Record: 10-2
Overall SOS: 172
Nonconference SOS: 255
Last 10: 9-1
Bad Losses (101+ in RPI): 0

I don't think you have given us enough info to make a thorough selection review. Overall record is important to me. RPI is important to me. Record against Top 100-200 is important, too.

On the surface, a team is 8-1 against Top 100 teams looks great. But, if they are 1-7 against teams 100-250 with a couple of 20+ point blowout home losses, and an 8-2 against teams 250+, then it isn't as impressive.

I'd say with the numbers you've given us, we can make an assessment, but that assessment isn't based on enough info or the right info to know if it a good assessment. I'd hate to have my tourney future riding on the little bits of info you've given us. There's so much more that goes into it.

TJ,

In the interest of time I've streamlined the information, obviously. I'm fully aware a lot more goes into the selections. The main reason I don't include individual RPI and overall record is because there are quite a few smart folks here who could simply look at the RPI & overall record and figure out in their head which team it is. That defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to keep biases out as much as possible.

I would be curious to see which teams you'd select using only this information. I respect your opinion.

TJ,

In the interest of time I've streamlined the information, obviously. I'm fully aware a lot more goes into the selections. The main reason I don't include individual RPI and overall record is because there are quite a few smart folks here who could simply look at the RPI & overall record and figure out in their head which team it is. That defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to keep biases out as much as possible.

I would be curious to see which teams you'd select using only this information. I respect your opinion.

Given the limited info at hand, I'd select A, D, and E.

That said, I'd prefer you go with the "honor system" and trust that people don't look up the overall numbers and RPI rating and include those figures. That way we'd have a better idea of the team's total resume and total season-long accomplishment. Frankly, with the numbers we're given, I can't even tell if one of those teams is a bubble team or a locked in the field team. You just can't tell.

I do appreciate the work you do on this. I've told you before, you're better than Joe Lunardi. ESPN would be wise to bring you in my friend.

That's a good suggestion. Next time I'll include RPI and overall record. I have a hunch if there comes a time I include the Gophers, they'll get a lot of votes.;)

For the record, we picked the same 3 teams. Great minds think alike.

Final Results

The final tally was as follows:

Team A: 6 votes
Team G: 5 votes
Team E: 4 votes
Team B: 3 votes
Team D: 3 votes
Team C: 0 votes
Team F: 0 votes

Our esteemed Selection Committee has selected A (#27 Butler, 21-4), G (#34 Utah State, 24-2) and E (#65 Kentucky, 18-8) to fill out our Field of 65.

Just missing the cut were B (#51 Creighton, 22-6) and D (#44 Florida, 20-6).

Receiving no love from the committee were C (#56 Davidson, 21-5) and F (#41 USC, 15-9).

Top Bottom