Joseph, Hoffarber and Carter all mentioned as possible starters

Please Tubby. I was just thinking tonight, whoever starts, we need to have either Joseph or Hoffarber on the floor at all times. The threat of actually making shots is a big part of what this offense needs. If those two can consistently make shots, we should look a lot better.

Please Tubby. I was just thinking tonight, whoever starts, we need to have either Joseph or Hoffarber on the floor at all times. The threat of actually making shots is a big part of what this offense needs. If those two can consistently make shots, we should look a lot better.
Sounds like Tubby is thinking along the same lines...

My guess, the same guys will start. It doesn't matter. What matters the most it who is there at the finish and who gets the most minutes.

Iverson - He was on his way to a team record for floor burns in the non-conference, but I really can't remember even one time recently I've seen him on the floor.

Johnson - Five games ago he was hands-down the team MVP, but now he could very well lose his starting spot.

Sampson - I really think the entire flow of the offense would be different if he could make those 10-12 footers.

Westbrook - He was on top of the world after Wisconsin and played pretty well at NU, but like almost everyone else, his game has gone south.

Nolen - Poor Al has tried to adjust his game because nobody else is coming through, but in the end, that too has been a disaster.

My guess, the same guys will start. It doesn't matter. What matters the most it who is there at the finish and who gets the most minutes.

I hate that cliche. Coaches say that to the kids that don't start as a motivation tool, but it isn't true at all. While the finish is obviously more important, any good coach will tell you an effective starting lineup is important.

I hate that cliche. Coaches say that to the kids that don't start as a motivation tool, but it isn't true at all. While the finish is obviously more important, any good coach will tell you an effective starting lineup is important.

I completely agree. The starting players set the tone for the game. If the starters make shots early, team confidence rises, and players coming in off the bench will be much more effective. Not to mention, being in the starting lineup is a reward for good play, which sends a message to the others that if you play well, you will be rewarded accordingly.

It does matter though Figi. How many times does the first five minutes or so establish a trend for the whole game. I'd say often. If you build an early lead you get confidence and that's big.

I completely agree. The starting players set the tone for the game. If the starters make shots early, team confidence rises, and players coming in off the bench will be much more effective. Not to mention, being in the starting lineup is a reward for good play, which sends a message to the others that if you play well, you will be rewarded accordingly.

I'd really rather not bring up the number of ten point leads the Gophers should have had, or the number of early deficits that the should not have had half way through the first half. Thank goodness Tubby may have finally figured this out.

Ofcourse an effective starting lineup nice to have. But, how is that lineup decided. Do we start those who played best in the last game or two? What if they're not effective? I am saying those who play best within each game will gets the most time.

Personally I doubt that anyone can fine 5 players in this group who will always be able to control the game.

Defense is as important as offense. You can't always start the most productive scorers ( of which there are precious few on this team). I think Tubby thinks defense first. He starts the guys that he feels are the most reliable defensive players. If it doesn't work out he makes the changes. Sometime he just isn't able to find 5 players that can give him a winning effort. God knows he has tried every possible combination of players.

I think you have to give the nod to the guys that are trying to make something happen versus the guys that are trying to keep something from happening. Carter and Canada must be on the court as much as possible.

Top Bottom