Paul Carter

Reaction score
Last time I saw him he was carted away in an ambulance....I sure hope he is ok! :( Anyone know anything else?

I don't know anything else, but on the other half of the court in the student section up a few rows, you could hear him screaming pretty loudly as he rolled in pain. It's not looking good at all. He would still be eligible for a medical redshirt, right? He did pull away in an ambulance, but I agree...best of luck Paul!

He was taken for precautionary x-rays. They weren't going to put him in the back of a Camry, hence the ambulance.

Can he even take a medical redshirt? Let's hope it isn't bad enough to warrant that. He was showing some great promise.

Leslie Hill (ex-Gopher guard and BTN sideline reporter) reported it was an ankle injury, not a knee injury (which it looked like originally). Hopefully he will come back this season.

Redshirt

Can he even take a medical redshirt? Let's hope it isn't bad enough to warrant that. He was showing some great promise.

I may be wrong but I think he has already used his redshirt. Lets hope it is not serious enough to come to that...

I may be wrong but I think he has already used his redshirt. Lets hope it is not serious enough to come to that...

Medical redshirt option is open to him but I doubt he'll need it for an ankle sprain. He'll miss some games though.

Medical redshirt option is open to him but I doubt he'll need it for an ankle sprain. He'll miss some games though.

FOT, it looked much worse last night, and it was no an unreasonable question, especially after Michael Bauer (look it up).

FOT, it looked much worse last night, and it was no an unreasonable question, especially after Michael Bauer (look it up).

I know. I saw Kenyon Martin injure his ankle as a UC freshman and thought he would be lost for the season. He was back a few games later. Ankle injuries sometimes look worse than they are.

If you had looked up Michael Bauer you would see that he had to take a medical red-shirt because of a bad ankle.

If you had looked up Michael Bauer you would see that he had to take a medical red-shirt because of a bad ankle.

Relax dude. FOT was only stating an ankle injury in November isn't likely to be season-ending. I know you're trying to zing him for not knowing his Gopher history. But even an avid Gopher fan may not recall an injury that happened more then 8 years ago.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Bauer a freshman who wasn't likely to see signficant minutes during conference play and that factored into the decision?

Relax dude. FOT was only stating an ankle injury in November isn't likely to be season-ending. I know you're trying to zing him for not knowing his Gopher history. But even an avid Gopher fan may not recall an injury that happened more then 8 years ago.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Bauer a freshman who wasn't likely to see signficant minutes during conference play and that factored into the decision?

I could be misremembering, but I think Bauer was already getting pretty significant minutes.

Ankle injuries come in all sizes. A bad one can put you out for the year; a mild one can have you back the next game. But they all hurt when they first occur, so you can't tell until they look at it.

He was a freshman, but he was also highly recruited and looked phenomenal in the games he did play. But his ankle was always iffy. He would have gotten plenty of minutes, heck, Ryan Wildenborg started six games in 1999-2000.

1999-2000  Redshirt Season
Played in five games before taking a medical redshirt after his ankle did not completely heal from a preseason injury  scored 13 points on 4-of-5 shooting, (3-of-4 beyond the arc), vs. Georgia (12/28) with and 6 rebounds  made his debut as a Golden Gopher against Oregon (12/18) by pulling down four rebounds and scoring 5 points in just 11 minutes.

And of course he doesn't know his Gopher history.

Paul Carter Injury Just a Sprain

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/gophersbb/

Per Myron

Although Paul Carter appeared to be in serious pain when he went down with an ankle injury in the second half of Wednesday’s 88-67 win over Eastern Washington, he was diagnosed with an ankle sprain after the game, according to Matt Slieter, Minnesota’s spokesman.

“Just a sprain for Paul,” Slieter said via text message after the game. “His status is day-to-day.”

The Gophers face North Dakota State Saturday. Lawrence Westbrook, Jamal Abu-Shamala, Jonathan Williams, Damian Johnson, Ralph Sampson III and now Paul Carter have all missed practices and/or games this season due to injuries.

Sounds like good news.

He was a freshman, but he was also highly recruited and looked phenomenal in the games he did play. But his ankle was always iffy. He would have gotten plenty of minutes, heck, Ryan Wildenborg started six games in 1999-2000.

And of course he doesn't know his Gopher history.

I've seen Minnesota play and followed them (like any other B10 team) since I entered Purdue in 1969.

And only a idiot would think that an ankle injury in late November means the season is lost.

I can see how you would think that.

FOT, you don't know Gopher history, you haven't lived Gopher history. Hosea Crittenden means nothing to you. Kyle Sanden's shot means nothing to you. Did you feel anything when Richard Coffee played right after his dad died or heart attack? Did you feel proud when Jayson Walton went after every rebound with the knees of a 70 year old. Did you learn about Burundi because of a player whose name I could never hope to spell.

I obviously have nothing on many of the "old timers," but what they have seen and felt, you'll never be able to hold a candle to just because you caught a random game on TV or in person 20 years ago. There is tradition here, and you are an outsider looking in. That's great that Tubby is your "friend" but as far as the team and this state are concerned, it is completely meaning. The fact you "follow" them just like every other team proves my point. I saw Glen Robinson play but that doesn't mean anything. I've met Jerry Sichting, but who cares? You are no better or no worse than a cyber-transplant here for one reason, and when that reason is gone, you will be to.

The rest of us will still be here, and you'll have moved on.

And for the record, a September ankle injury cost Michael Bauer his freshman season.

FYI,

Myron blogged that Carter's injury was "just a sprain"

I was actually surprised to see an update from him on Thanksgiving. Color me pleasantly surprised.

FYI,

Myron blogged that Carter's injury was "just a sprain"

I was actually surprised to see an update from him on Thanksgiving. Color me pleasantly surprised.

He is 1-2 on injury stories not involving surgery. Will he improve to 2-3?

FOT, you don't know Gopher history, you haven't lived Gopher history. Hosea Crittenden means nothing to you. Kyle Sanden's shot means nothing to you. Did you feel anything when Richard Coffee played right after his dad died or heart attack? Did you feel proud when Jayson Walton went after every rebound with the knees of a 70 year old. Did you learn about Burundi because of a player whose name I could never hope to spell.

I obviously have nothing on many of the "old timers," but what they have seen and felt, you'll never be able to hold a candle to just because you caught a random game on TV or in person 20 years ago. There is tradition here, and you are an outsider looking in. That's great that Tubby is your "friend" but as far as the team and this state are concerned, it is completely meaning. The fact you "follow" them just like every other team proves my point. I saw Glen Robinson play but that doesn't mean anything. I've met Jerry Sichting, but who cares? You are no better or no worse than a cyber-transplant here for one reason, and when that reason is gone, you will be to.

Get over yourself. We don't need any holier than thou crap on this board. Michael Bauer's injury was more severe than just an ankle sprain--he actually disclocated his ankle. It is spelled Nzigamasabo. I remember Crittenden from when he played his HS ball at Rosemount and I was at Hosea Crittenden day. And most importantly I remember entering Williams Arena and just feeling an amazing energy about crowd for big games that we have not felt in the last 9 years. The crowd had an anticipatory buzz that gave you goosebumps before the game even started. I haven't felt that since the home game against Indiana in about Feb. of 1999. With Tubby that buzz and that anticipation will come back when we are again competing for Big Ten titles. But that buzz only comes with fans in the stands that are ecstatic about the game. If he is a converted Gopher fan so be it, we're not too good to cast away people that want to follow the program.

Geeze, great attitude. It takes all level of fans to give a program support. If the die-hards are bunch of snobs who drive away everyone who doesn't fondly recall Hosea Crittenden, you are left with the support that Gopher football has had the last 30 years.

One of the reasons we are a better basketball school is that the general public follows the team as casual fans. I have members of my family who have followed them since the early 90's. They are not alums, just Minnesotans. They could probably only name 3-4 players on the team at any moment. They may only watch 10 games a year. Should they have thier Gopher fan status revoked because they are not good enough? Many Minnesotans follow Gopher basketball (and fewer football) as casual fans, just the way they follow the Twins and Vikings. Some of you on here seem to think that only alumni who can name the 12th man on every team for last 25 years are worthy. That's the attitude that will leave you with only your 5,000 die-hards in the stands every night. Is that what you want?

But I'm probably speaking out of turn. Even though I've been following Gopher basketball since I was 9 years old and know as much about the last 20 years as most of you, I'm not an alumni, so I should probably keep it to myself.

Sorry, rant over.

A different take on this. Sure, FOT is not a "true" die-in-the-wool Gopher fan, rather, he is a long-time admirer of Tubby. What is wrong with that? He adds a lot to this Gopher Message Board esp. during the height of the basektball season. He's very knowlegable, you learn a lot reading his stuff, esp. about Tubby's coaching philosophy and approach to things. I'm glad he posts.

And there is a lot to admire about Tubby, the man and the basketball coach. We at UMN are lucky to have him. It was a serendiptious time for each of us, and Joel M. deserves a whole lot of attributed credit for strikign while he could and making this deal happen.

Even Hawkeye and Badger fans can contribute a lot on here, as long as folks stay respectful. That's one of the great things about the I-net, you can talk about your passions with others who share them, anytime you want. And you learn a lot in conversations with fans from other schools too.

Get over yourself. We don't need any holier than thou crap on this board. Michael Bauer's injury was more severe than just an ankle sprain--he actually disclocated his ankle. It is spelled Nzigamasabo. I remember Crittenden from when he played his HS ball at Rosemount and I was at Hosea Crittenden day. And most importantly I remember entering Williams Arena and just feeling an amazing energy about crowd for big games that we have not felt in the last 9 years. The crowd had an anticipatory buzz that gave you goosebumps before the game even started. I haven't felt that since the home game against Indiana in about Feb. of 1999. With Tubby that buzz and that anticipation will come back when we are again competing for Big Ten titles. But that buzz only comes with fans in the stands that are ecstatic about the game. If he is a converted Gopher fan so be it, we're not too good to cast away people that want to follow the program.

But he isn't a Gopher fan.

Geeze, great attitude. It takes all level of fans to give a program support. If the die-hards are bunch of snobs who drive away everyone who doesn't fondly recall Hosea Crittenden, you are left with the support that Gopher football has had the last 30 years.

One of the reasons we are a better basketball school is that the general public follows the team as casual fans. I have members of my family who have followed them since the early 90's. They are not alums, just Minnesotans. They could probably only name 3-4 players on the team at any moment. They may only watch 10 games a year. Should they have thier Gopher fan status revoked because they are not good enough? Many Minnesotans follow Gopher basketball (and fewer football) as casual fans, just the way they follow the Twins and Vikings. Some of you on here seem to think that only alumni who can name the 12th man on every team for last 25 years are worthy. That's the attitude that will leave you with only your 5,000 die-hards in the stands every night. Is that what you want?

But I'm probably speaking out of turn. Even though I've been following Gopher basketball since I was 9 years old and know as much about the last 20 years as most of you, I'm not an alumni, so I should probably keep it to myself.

Sorry, rant over.

I'm not talking about casual fans. I'm talking about one person who swoops in because of the coach, and will be even faster to swoop out, who doesn't really care at all about the team other than the coach.

But he isn't a Gopher fan.

If he is on a Gophers message board discussing the team he has some level of fanhood in him. My best friend from high school is coaching football at Nebraska and because he is there I hope they do well. However, the extent of my involvement is watching for their scores on Saturdays, checking the standings in the conference, and trying to check up on their recruiting occassionally to see if they get a verbal or if they are competing with us for recruits. I certainly don't care to troll their message boards. My point is, I have a friend coaching there and I'm not trolling boards and would not consider myself a fan.

Even if this guy is only a fan because Tubby is here it is not something to alienate a guy over. You find different levels of knowledge and spirit from every fan you come across. Amongst my friends that went to the U of M I only have a couple friends out of about 30 that were truly brought up in the tradition. Most of my friends know the names Willie Burton, Voshon Leonard, Sam Jacobson, Bobby Jackson, John Thomas, and Quincy Lewis. However, there are only a couple of us that remember the contributions of Jim Shikanjanski, Bob Martin, Kevin Lynch, Melvin Newbern, Ernest Nzigamasabo, Chad Kolander, Arriel McDonald, Jayson Walton, Eric Harris, and Charles Thomas and can reflect upon their accomplishments because we grew up watching those teams under Clem.

When I went on a road trip to W. Lafayette this fall in a group of 5 we discussed Gopher football history that we were alive for. It was fun to discuss Ricky Foggie, Corey Sauter, Tim Schade and contrast them to Adam Weber, and then Eric Decker vs. Tutu Atwell, Ryan Thelwell, Luke Leverson, and Ron Johnson. However, two of the people in the vehicle didn't even remember Leverson and the third vaguely remembered him and he was a senior when we we were freshman or sophomores in college. The fact that my friends are going on a 9 hour drive for a game tells me all that I need to know about their fanhood.

In hockey I'm the same way some of them are with basketball because I didn't grow up in a hockey family. I remember watching the championship game against Harvard in '89 but that was the extent of my exposure until I got to college and became a fan.

My point is people come to teams for different reasons and at different times so please cut the guy some slack and be open to people climbing on board the band wagon.

Top Bottom