Where are they now? – Whitey Skoog on jersey retirement and inventing the jump shot

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
For the second time in two weeks, the Gophers will honor a legend with the jersey retirement of Whitey Skoog, who joins Trent Tucker as former Gopher All-Americans having a permanent presence in the Barn's rafters. And for the second time in two weeks, GopherHole.com has an extensive interview with the jersey retirement recipient. Please see the link below for an interview with Skoog who discusses his jersey retirement, his All-American career at The U and how he invented the jump shot:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=945

Excellent interview. Whitey is obviously very deserving of this honor.

Whitey Skoog is a stud. My exposure to Whitey was as a student at Gustavus Adolphus in 1991. We had to take a PE class and Whitey taught 1/2 of the class, and his sport was badminton. I had no idea who Whitey was. I thought badminton was a sport you played at a lake cabin while holding a beer in one hand and the racquet in the other hand.

Whitey was probably a little over 60 years old, so my first impression was great - I'm taking badminton at 8 am being taught by some really old guy. My impression quickly changed. Whitey was built like a 25 year old football player. I don't think there was any fat on his body, he had a lot of muscle, and was really physically intimidating and that included his really short cut hair and his stare of death. I don't remember Whitey smiling, or smirking. He had a chiseled jaw and just just looked and acted like a drill sergeant. He never yelled, he just commanded respect through his demeanour and actions.

Badminton is played on a court like tennis with a 5 foot tall net (to the top of the net). And Whitey taught us to play like tennis. It was really fast paced with people swinging sideways like tennis and the speed of play was really quick. Whitey was better then anyone, much better.

He took a bunch of college undergraduates who thought they were going to be sleep walking through class and had us believing badminton was the greatest sport ever and that we playing for the gold medal. I mean people were sweating and running around, there were people diving for the birdie and skinning knees on the floor. People were just trying to crush the person on the other side of the net, and this was badminton.

My impression of Whitey was a man from another era, from my grandfathers generation. He was a real man who commanded and received respect. His intensity was unbelievable. He carried himself with confidence and grace. He was the perfect old school gentlemen. College kids were on their very best manners when around him. I just can't believe how much he motivated a bunch of college students at 8 am and what a good representative he was of the human race. I wanted to be like Whitey, and still do.

Thanks Whitey. I wish I could have witnessed you playing for the Gophers and in professional basketball. In a very short time you taught me a lot more then badminton and I wish I had more time to spend with you and learn from you. I'll be the one cheering in the upper deck on Sunday night.

Awesome story GoldInDirt!! Thanks for sharing that...it really does give one insight into the man.

I appreciate the post!

Go Gophers!!

Bleed Gopher, and Gold in Dirt. Both of you hit the nail on the head, "Whitey" is my grandfather, and i really appreciate both the posts about what kind of man he was. It's great to hear that people still remember and respect him. He would be glad to hear that such fans are going to be in attendence on Sunday with us. Take Care.

Welcome to the board, SkoogGrandson

It's really an honor to have you posting on this board, I hope to see you more often! I'm sure you can offer a lot of insight, and stories that all of us would enjoy hearing!

Rob - great interview, I can't tell you how much I enjoy these "Where are they now's" and how much they give me insight into the Gophers before I was a fan.

Goldindirt - thank you for sharing that story, it's a great one!

He also had a great professional career. When the great Minneapolis Laker guard Slater Martin was nearing the end of his career, people thought it was the end of an era. But, Whitey stepped in and and the team never missed a beat.

Whitey is the pride of Brainerd! We could sure use him now. It will be appropriate to see him honored, he was a truely great one!

Top Bottom