BTN is gaining ground, has profitable quarter

It's been pretty nice getting all BT away games in HD. Hopefully we can get our non-conference football games off ESPNU/360 and on "the network" in the future. Once that happens I will be a full supporter of BTN.

It's kinda interesting to hear that the Gophers were in the 3 of the top 4 rated games this season. The only explanation I can come up with is that there's a Minnesota following in Kentucky, which is adding to the viewers of the Gophers game. Of course, some are probably watching hoping Tubby would lose, but they're still watching.

I know some members of my family signed up for the BTN just to watch the Gophers. It's gotta help the ratings.

That's great news

We can argue about the on-air talent (but so what, we do the same for ESPN), but the BTN has been great to have during the college basketball season. Nothing like sitting down on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays & knowing that I'm going to see at least one (and sometimes up to 3) live Big 10 men's basketball game(s). Big Ten Tonight and the pregame shows with the Big 10 slant are great to have as well.

Overall, for a fledgling network, I like what they're doing. I like the fact their analysts played or coached in the Big 10. .. .that's a good idea, even if some of them aren't the smoothest or camera friendly (i.e. Tim Doyle, Gene Keady). I also like the fact these guys aren't complete homers/stoogies for the Big 10. Guys like Dave Revsine are fair and don't always view things with Big 10-colored glasses. I can live with all the reruns & Big 10-specific commercials as as long as they keep giving us live access to every single conference game, whether it be on the BTN, ESPN, the Deuce or CBS.

Long live the BTN.

I actually even got caught up in some gymnastics one night. :).

We can argue about the on-air talent (but so what, we do the same for ESPN), but the BTN has been great to have during the college basketball season. Nothing like sitting down on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays & knowing that I'm going to see at least one (and sometimes up to 3) live Big 10 men's basketball game(s). Big Ten Tonight and the pregame shows with the Big 10 slant are great to have as well.

Overall, for a fledgling network, I like what they're doing. I like the fact their analysts played or coached in the Big 10. .. .that's a good idea, even if some of them aren't the smoothest or camera friendly (i.e. Tim Doyle, Gene Keady). I also like the fact these guys aren't complete homers/stoogies for the Big 10. Guys like Dave Revsine are fair and don't always view things with Big 10-colored glasses. I can live with all the reruns & Big 10-specific commercials as as long as they keep giving us live access to every single conference game, whether it be on the BTN, ESPN, the Deuce or CBS.

Long live the BTN.

I completely agree.

It's been great. I'm glad they are succeeding this is so huge for the Gophs.

just too bad the basketball isn't very good

Love having the BTN in Tennesse, it's just too bad Big Ten basketball is about as exciting as single-A High School ball. It would be nice if we became the team to push the tempo and run right past the rest of these slow-it-down schools.

Mabye hurrying the tempo would help out whatever it is we're trying to run in the offensive half-court.

It's called defense. I know they don't use that down your way. but it does seem to have the effect of slowing a game down and limiting scoring.

defense = lack of offense

The perception that the Big Ten's defense is soooo great is untrue. The putrid offenses make the defenses look better. I can't imagine what would happen if the Gophers played in the ACC or Big East. They play defense, but also have players that can score. The Big Ten has no one that scares anyone offensively. Things will change for the Gophers the next couple of years, but for now there is something to be desired.

Well I'll disagree with that notion. Greater athletes equates to greater wins. Greater athletes want to score. They go south for that. So really you're great offensive teams also have great talent, it's an illusion. but the balance is shifting. It will take defense and offense in this next decade as the offensive gains in the south have been incorporated into the defensive minded big ten. Watch what happens the next four years.

Top Bottom