Tubby's recruiting doesn't look so bad now

Lloyd Christmas

Reaction score
Some of you may recognize me by my name, or my few posts attempting to be a voice of reason from the Kentucky side of things sometimes amidst some good ol' fashioned Wildcat-bashing...

Anyways, I've always been a Kentucky supporter AND a Tubby supporter so I'm torn between defending Tubby at home and defending Billy G./Kentucky decisions abroad but I always try to remain fair.

At any rate, a short blurb in a potluck article by Lexington Herald-Leader's Mark Story (probably my favorite of the local sports writers)...thought some of Gopher Nation might enjoy the quick read:

http://www.kentucky.com/827/story/696970.html

Kentucky's talent has not been their big problem. With the exception of UNC they are more talented than anyone they have played. I agree with the article when it says they would be a top ten team with a healthy Derrick Jasper.

It is interesting to me that a number of TCP posters give all credit for Tubby's current success to the Monson recruits on the roster and feel that Tubby's team will fall to the bottom of the Big Ten when he has a roster made up of all Tubby recruits. I am guessing that the typical Gopherholer feels the exact opposite. I have felt all along that the degree of success the Gophers have this season will depend on the late seaon performance of the new Tubby recruits. Are RS3, Colton, Carter and Devoe ready to step it up or do we wait for next year?

Tubby's recruiting and his brand of defense will keep us in the top 20 or within range of it for a number of years to come. The jury is out on his offense until we see more of his recruits play it. Future is bright overall.

I think had Kentucky been healthy last year they could have gone far.

Maybe more so than Minnesota, I'm confused, because I think our talent issues are apparent, that Kentucky has struggled at times despite two players, Meeks and Patterson, that are 33rd and 19th in the 2009 mock draft respectively. A lot of teams would kill for a couple of players like this. I have a hard time believing that there isn't enough talent on that roster to back those two up pretty well.

I think Billy G is an absurd blow hard and a d*ckhead. I also think he is in way over his head at Kentucky and Kentucky is stuck because they let a hall of fame coach walk, hit him in the butt with the door and then hired a d-bag that thinks he is Bobby Knight.

I am excited to see what Royce will bring to this team offensively next year. Will he learn enough of Tubby's D to get much pt. Will his much needed "high spirited nature" bring him into conflict with the coach. Next year I expect definate offense improvement from Ralph, Devoe, Carter and Colton. All coaches love experienced point guards and expecting big improvement from Al Nolen would seem to be a given. For now Damian J and LW seem to be good players but are not the "go to" offense producers that a top team needs. The Big Ten opponents seem to have figured our team out as far as defending us. That leaves the Gophs with trying to win ugly with D.

I am looking forward to the new PG recruit... a kid who looks like he can can the open shot at any time, which will result in more looks for the wing 3's and/or the slam inside from the twin towers.

It is interesting to me that a number of TCP posters give all credit for Tubby's current success to the Monson recruits on the roster and feel that Tubby's team will fall to the bottom of the Big Ten when he has a roster made up of all Tubby recruits. I am guessing that the typical Gopherholer feels the exact opposite. I have felt all along that the degree of success the Gophers have this season will depend on the late seaon performance of the new Tubby recruits. Are RS3, Colton, Carter and Devoe ready to step it up or do we wait for next year?

I would caution GHers that TCP hardly represents the UK fanbase. TCP covets the idiotic fringe of UK fandom.

Top Bottom