Royce White 2009 Jordan Brand All American

Rivals has him at

6'7" and 210 lbs. I saw the Hopkins Cooper game on cable and he looks a bit bigger, weight-wise. Maybe it is the faux-mohawk. Still, he looked bigger than 210. Any bets on the mohawk showing up at Williams Arena next fall?

FOT

Greetings FOT,

As the master of all Tubby-Numbers, how many players have worn a mohawk while playing for Tubby? My guess is 0. What say You?

6'7" and 210 lbs. I saw the Hopkins Cooper game on cable and he looks a bit bigger, weight-wise. Maybe it is the faux-mohawk. Still, he looked bigger than 210. Any bets on the mohawk showing up at Williams Arena next fall?

Hes gotten bigger and says himself that hes 225 pounds now....ive also brushed shoulders with him and hes definitely a legit 6'8"....which basically means he could get away with being listed as 6'9" if he wanted

Yup !

Hes gotten bigger and says himself that hes 225 pounds now....ive also brushed shoulders with him and hes definitely a legit 6'8"....which basically means he could get away with being listed as 6'9" if he wanted

Sizewise he looks ready for the big ten.

Were you standing on a stack of phone books or are you quite tall?

Well I'm only 6'2" so i wasn't comparing him to my own height...but I'm friends with plenty of people in that height range including Lucas Kuipers who was my teammate at the time and Royce was noticably taller than him as I had to look up to him more. Kuipers is listed at 6'8" but is probably closer to 6'7". Royce is at least an inch taller IMO.

Was just wondering. If I jumped I could brush shoulders with Westbrook, which isn't so impressive.

Was just wondering. If I jumped I could brush shoulders with Westbrook, which isn't so impressive.

haha i just meant i walked right by him and was close enough to get a good idea of how tall he was....i would probably have to jump in order to actually brush shoulders with him too

Comparable player

Royce Williams at 6'8" and 225 sounds like Raymond Morgan with a jumpshot. I'd have to guess Carmelo was a similar size at Syracuse. I'll take it. Anyone who can shoot with range and who is able to take it to the rim is a major need.

we dont need another

Royce Williams at 6'8" and 225 sounds like Raymond Morgan with a jumpshot. I'd have to guess Carmelo was a similar size at Syracuse. I'll take it. Anyone who can shoot with range and who is able to take it to the rim is a major need.

we dont need another jump shooter regardless how big they are. we need someone to take it to the hole on offense and own the boards, fore and aft! IMHO.

I hope Royce is that guy.

Royce doesn't have a good jump shot in his arsenal yet. Just look at his free throws from a distance of 15 ft, where he's not even 50% on the year at the line. He's definitely not a player like Carmelo.

Royce doesn't have a good jump shot in his arsenal yet. Just look at his free throws from a distance of 15 ft, where he's not even 50% on the year at the line. He's definitely not a player like Carmelo.

Carmelo needed about a dozen cheese burgers at 'cuse, if I remember correctly.

White from ESPN

Royce doesn't have a good jump shot in his arsenal yet.

I would disagree with that, his much improved jump shot is what has made him so dangerous. I've seen him knock down threes this year although I wouldn't call that a strength yet, but his 15-18 foot jumpers are money and have forced defenders to come out and guard him and his ability to drive and get to the basket is so good right now that it's basically a pick your poison.

Here's some ESPN video of him from this summer where he shows off some of the jump shot.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=52351

From ESPN Feb. 17

White hangs tough on the East CoastRoyce
White showed the East Coast Elite that he is one of the nation's top prospects, writes Reggie Rankin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3912704

Minnesota-bound Royce White was the player of the event. He attacked the rim from start to finish and rebounded like a warrior. White was at the top of his game and played like a physical Big Ten forward.

Royce White PF (6-7, 220)
2009, Minnetonka, Minn. / Hopkins, signed with Minnesota
White was the best player at the event. He was in attack mode on every catch. He finished above the rim in traffic repeatedly and scored on powerful drives down the lane from the high post. He also dunked drop-off passes created by guard penetration. This was as aggressive as I've ever seen White play. He used his body well to score through contact and to draw fouls. He seemed never to come up empty when he attacked the rim. He ran the floor and posted up strong. He looked to have a renewed focus. He is a heavy right-handed driver to the basket, but White is strong enough to dribble through the defender. He can also pull up in or around the lane when the defense recovers. White rebounded on both ends with two hands at rim level and had a couple timely putbacks. He must continue to work to extend his shooting range because he is a little undersized to be a full-time power forward. He must be able to pull taller opponents away from the basket to go along with his ability to punish smaller forwards in the lane. If White continues to play at this level, he will be a contributor as a freshman for the hometown Gophers.

Cowels also gets a nice writeup

He must continue to work to extend his shooting range because he is a little undersized to be a full-time power forward. He must be able to pull taller opponents away from the basket to go along with his ability to punish smaller forwards in the lane.
Rankin's opinion is what I'm referring to. Just doesn't seem to hit the 15 ft jumper consistently at this point, much better within 10 ft, but is getting better. However, I still say he is not a Carmelo type player.

Rankin is basing that opinion from the one game in New york, and it sounds like Royce didn't shoot from the perimeter much, but I've seen him knock down way too many 15-18 foot jumpers this season to know he can shoot them with ease.

we dont need another jump shooter regardless how big they are.

I can't believe someone said that. The Gophers are starting two guys who have yet to make a 3-pointer in college (Iverson & Sampson) and another who only shoots 20% (DJ). Add that to Nolen's below average perimeter shooting and it seems to me the Gophers are screaming for another athletic jump shooter, especially at forward, to keep defenses honest.

Top Bottom