Echoing Comments About The Talent

Reserve

Reaction score
I've read a lot of comments about the talent on this team and I have to agree there are some bright spots and some dark spots.

We're being led being Nolen, Westbrook, and Johnson. All fine players in their own right. But are they talented to lead a team where we want them to go ?

I also think they've done some overachieving that's raised our expectations and it's frustrating to watch them make the same mistakes game in and game out. Can you imagine how frustrating it is for the coaching staff ?

You had to figure they were doomed when we saw Nolen drive in for the first basket Saturday and have two open teamates and decide to keep the ball and go for it himself. He had a few like that. On another attempt he was completely stuffed at the rim. Westbrook same thing. Johnson didn't even show up.

These aren't the most talented players in the world. Actually, I believe a couple of three stars and a two star on Scout for Johnson. Tubby has managed to get great efforts out of them at times and other times ? well, that's what we're seeing now. A big part of the problem, I think, is that now we have mid level talented players, under pressure, trying to perform at a level higher than they're capable of playing. Being selfish with the ball, turning it over, taking bad shots, stupid mistakes, etc.

And we wonder why Tubby was recruiting another point for this year ? He knew there were issues. But Al still has done well. Just not capable of doing it game in and game out. Same with Westbrook, Johnson, etc.

Hard to rely on the freshman and Jucos. They've all done well at times just not consistantly. Of course that could be said of the entire team. Bostick and Carter have both played huge parts in a few of our wins, so have Sampson, Joseph, and Iverson.

I think we'll make the tournament. I think the Gophers could win or lose the next five. There are no easy games. It could all turn around at a moments notice and just as quickly as Battle found his stroke and regained his confidence, our team could have the same type of moment and everything will start clicking again. That's the way it goes with the caliber of players we have to rely on to carry us.

Sorry to give what seems like back handed compliments to the players I posted on here before once about Westbrook and probably wasn't that nice.

Be patient. We have a few years to go with this team.

Reserve- good points. I think Nolen, who's a pass first player, will start to look pretty good when we get more natural scorers along side of him. That would include some guys that can post up strong. Nolen looked great in the preseason when our big guys were just too much for other teams. The ball was going inside then.

Against Big Ten teams the task of going inside is harder unless you have strong big guys that can stake out a position and have great hands. Iverson and Sampson will get better and the addition of Mbakwe and White may well turn a liability area into an asset next year.

Still we really want to make the tourney this year so that the guys can be more experienced for next year when they will have a shot at a deep run.

Agreed. I think these guys could find their swagger again and win the next five. The last two have really been frustrating. Both were pretty winnable games for us. I know Tubby has called a few of the guys out but as with Nolen when he said that he wanted Al to drive to the basket I suppose he didn't mean to not pass it off to an open teamate if he was driving into a crowd. :)

So we've got players under pressure/being called out by the coach/trying to prove themselves/that - maybe - aren't capable of doing it game in and game out/without anyone to come in and really pickup the slack if they're not doing well.

Sounds like a team that's going through a rough stretch to me. Maybe it's the Gophers.

They'll pick it up. Starting against Michigan Thursday !

Top Bottom