What's the Deal with Devron Bostick?

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Not getting much playing time. He's looked lost and not particularily athletic in the couple games I've seen. Wasn't he JC All-American?

Trouble fitting into Tubby's system? School issues? A lot of ball left to be played but this guy looks like another Kevin Payton.

Bostick's Brother- What say you?

Tough for new guys to fit in, especially when they've had a couple years under a different system at the juco level. I predict he will step up when we need him.

I think 4 games is too early to judge how he will do. He is talented. I think (given time) he'll be fine.

He had a great night tonight!

I think 4 games is too early to judge how he will do. He is talented. I think (given time) he'll be fine.

I agree with FOT - it is early, but I loved what I saw from him tonight. He was pefect as far as shooting goes - 3-3 from 3 point land 4-4 overall for 11 points. Add 4 boards, and 2 steals into only 18 minutes of play, I'd say he was very productive!

I think fans tend to have unrealistic expectations for new juco transfers. The transition is massive for almost all of them. Vincent Grier was an exception in part because he is/was very talented, but also because he played DI at an almost-high-major level at Charlotte.

Most jucos have a huge transition because the game is very different. The stereotypes about juco basketball have a lot of truth in them. The pace is fast, the defense is minimal and for the best juco players they have their offenses run around them. Twenty-shot nights are not that uncommon for talented juco players.

Now they come to a high major DI program and they don't get 20 shots a night, the defense is better, they're expected to play defense and they have to adjust to not being the total star. In addition, there is way more coaching at the DI level.

Here's a stat line for you: 6.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg. What is that? Those are season averages for the juco national player of the year before Bostick. Who? Jamarcus Ellis at Indiana. I'm not saying that Ellis is the same player as Bostick or better or worse. I'm just writing that as an example of how the transition is difficult.

Now regarding Bostick, I don't think he's going to be a difference-maker. I think he'll be a productive player to a very productive player once he gets comfortable and figures out what end is up. I guess I'm still hung up on the whole Youngstown State thing out of high school. That doesn't make sense to me.

I expect Bostick will see more time if Paul Carter's injury is as serious as it appeared.

I think fans tend to have unrealistic expectations for new juco transfers. The transition is massive for almost all of them. Vincent Grier was an exception in part because he is/was very talented, but also because he played DI at an almost-high-major level at Charlotte.

Most jucos have a huge transition because the game is very different. The stereotypes about juco basketball have a lot of truth in them. The pace is fast, the defense is minimal and for the best juco players they have their offenses run around them. Twenty-shot nights are not that uncommon for talented juco players.

Now they come to a high major DI program and they don't get 20 shots a night, the defense is better, they're expected to play defense and they have to adjust to not being the total star. In addition, there is way more coaching at the DI level.

Here's a stat line for you: 6.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg. What is that? Those are season averages for the juco national player of the year before Bostick. Who? Jamarcus Ellis at Indiana. I'm not saying that Ellis is the same player as Bostick or better or worse. I'm just writing that as an example of how the transition is difficult.

Now regarding Bostick, I don't think he's going to be a difference-maker. I think he'll be a productive player to a very productive player once he gets comfortable and figures out what end is up. I guess I'm still hung up on the whole Youngstown State thing out of high school. That doesn't make sense to me.

JuCo players tend to have a bigger impact their second year in Div I but a few have immediate impact.

As I have read (but don't know for sure), Bostick was an academic ? coming out of HS so many Div I schools didn't offer but YSU did so he took it.

We also have a lot of depth this year at the 2/3 positions. Bostick, Hoffarber, Carter, Westbrook, Busch, and Abdul-Shamala. Joseph will get some minutes there too.

Looking forward to next year we only loose Abdul-Shamala and add Royce White and Rodney Williams to that rotation. Justin Cobbs' presence might also put Joseph there more too. Bostick, Carter, and Busch might be the odd men out next year. Royce might play some 4 too.

He was pefect as far as shooting goes - 3-3 from 3 point land 4-4 overall for 11 points. Add 4 boards, and 2 steals into only 18 minutes of play, I'd say he was very productive!

Exactly. If you can get 11 points, 4 boards, and 2 steals from Bostick every night, you take it. I'm not sure what people expected, but he was outstanding last night.

Nathaniel?

I'd say he plays like Kevin Nathanial.

Anyway, the grand-unified-Bostickian theory

Nathaniel couldn't shoot. Bostick is a deadly shooter. Nathaniel played hard when he was on the floor. He was older than the other players and very strong around the bucket. Bostick is doing to much standing around and not taking his game to the basket. Bostick needs to be less afaid to post up his man now and then. But, when Devron is open he is money.

Nathaniel couldn't shoot. Bostick is a deadly shooter. Nathaniel played hard when he was on the floor. He was older than the other players and very strong around the bucket. Bostick is doing to much standing around and not taking his game to the basket. Bostick needs to be less afaid to post up his man now and then. But, when Devron is open he is money.

Until yesterday Bostick wasn't shooting either.

Jamarcus Ellis Is An Excellent Analogy

My only disagreement with your point is that I do think Bostick will become a difference maker--especially as we get deeper into the Big Ten season. 4 for 4 is just Bostick getting "warmed up." Will be interesting to see how he does against NDSU on Saturday.

I do realize that there were some academic question marks for Bostick out of high school. That said Youngstown State has been in the bottom 20 programs in Division I over the past six or seven years. Since '01, they've had one season in which they had a double-digit win season and they haven't finished .500 in a season in that span.

There are certainly programs in the Midwest that take academic risks. That Youngstown State was his best option makes me scratch my head.

Now he could end up being a fine program and will likely be better next year than this year. I agree with FOT on that.

With the Ellis comparison, I wanted to point out how difficult it is for jucos (even highly thought of jucos) to make an immediate impact. I think there were people on here who thought Bostick was going to come in and average 15 and 6 or something. I think that's a bit unrealistic.

I do realize that there were some academic question marks for Bostick out of high school. That said Youngstown State has been in the bottom 20 programs in Division I over the past six or seven years. Since '01, they've had one season in which they had a double-digit win season and they haven't finished .500 in a season in that span.

There are certainly programs in the Midwest that take academic risks. That Youngstown State was his best option makes me scratch my head.

Now he could end up being a fine program and will likely be better next year than this year. I agree with FOT on that.

With the Ellis comparison, I wanted to point out how difficult it is for jucos (even highly thought of jucos) to make an immediate impact. I think there were people on here who thought Bostick was going to come in and average 15 and 6 or something. I think that's a bit unrealistic.

He was a double non-qualifier (based on what I have read) coming out of HS. Most schools cannot take 2NQ's.

From akgopher

"Looking forward to next year we only loose Abdul-Shamala and add Royce White and Rodney Williams to that rotation. Justin Cobbs' presence might also put Joseph there more too. Bostick, Carter, and Busch might be the odd men out next year. Royce might play some 4 too."

We didn't seem to have that problem during the Monson era.

Top Bottom