Tubby's Post Game Comments

Blizzard

Reaction score
Not a lot here but if you're interested -

OPENING STATEMENT: I have to commend Ed DeChellis and his team. They did what they had to do to get the win. They got to the free throw line. We fought back in it, but it was a little too little I guess. Then we just were not able to do the things that we used to do and they did things that they hadn't done in games before. We just couldn't do some things like taking care of the ball and making some clutch plays in the stretch. We didn't get the stops that we needed to get and this is what you get. Again, my hat is off to that team [Penn State], they played extremely hard and played extremely well especially without Morrissey who is one of their top players. Pretty impressive with the way they played today.

How disappointing was it for Devoe Joseph to have such a great game and then have the team lose the game?

We found something there. I think it is very positive, I don't know about disappointing. Disappointed that we lost, but we found somebody who wanted to step up and do some things. Now the expectations will be different for him, to come in here and do the job. He is an excellent shooting guard and he does a good job as back-up point. If we can get him to take care of the ball a little better then we will be all right.

Is this game an example of balance in the league for Penn State to be able to turn this losing streak around?

Absolutely, they were right there. They had some tough losses, but we knew that when they went in and beat Michigan State that they were for real. Obviously, with 18 wins they do a lot of things well. You are right, that is a testament to how good the league is and how balanced the league is.

When you scouted for Penn State how much time did you take looking at Chris Babb and Cammeron Woodyard?

Quite a bit. We knew that they are pretty good shooters. Chris Babb did the same thing to us at our place; made threes down the stretch. That is why they are on scholarship, cause they can play at this level. He is another weapon that alleviates some of the pressure off guys like Pringle and Battle. Those guys came out here and shot the ball well. When you get balanced shooting like that with 11 threes from different people it makes it them pretty good. We didn't get that today. We had three guys that made threes and that is not what we want.

Did Penn State do anything differently defensively down the stretch?
They did a good job on screens and switching it up. I thought they played a very sticky man-to-man defense. We just did a poor job of screening to get guys open. But again, they did a good job of being physical and aggressive by forcing off the screens.

One of the thing Tubby does so well........

is give credit to the other team.

I think sometimes we forget (or at least I do) how competitive it is at this level. Coaches can only put players in position to do well, then it's up to them to make the plays.

From the players view, it's so easy to lose confidence when they have a couple of bad games. I think we've got to add a new wrinkle or to right now on offense, becasue the players (some of them) are struggling right now.

is give credit to the other team.

I think sometimes we forget (or at least I do) how competitive it is at this level. Coaches can only put players in position to do well, then it's up to them to make the plays.

From the players view, it's so easy to lose confidence when they have a couple of bad games. I think we've got to add a new wrinkle or to right now on offense, becasue the players (some of them) are struggling right now.

Tubby goes out of his way to credit coaches, whether the outgoing Gopher coaches in 2007 or opposing coaches in 2008 or 2009.

Minnesota is a struggling team right now (over the past 4 weeks).

>>Minnesota is a struggling team right now (over the past 4 weeks).<<

Personnel for other teams seems to have progressed. For the most part, ours has not. Perhaps we peaked earlier than our opposition did. Perhaps scouting caught up with us.

We just don't have any offensive rhythm. Lots of standing around and indecision. Frankly, I think they look OVER coached right now.

I looked through the STATS a little Sunday night. In the 3 BT games Bostock has played 15+ minutes, he has averaged 11 pts/game. In the remaining BT games, he has averaged less than 7 minutes and 2 pts/game. Westbrooke has seen his minutes go from the low 30's to barely 20 - correspondingly his production has dropped off significantly. Hoffaber has seen wild swings in his playing time - when he plays a lot, his scoring is up (and down when his minutes drop)

I found that when I played, scoring had a lot more to do with confidence than anything else. Sometimes, I just believed the ball was going in - other times - I could not get anything to drop.

Believing not only in my teammates (where they were going to be, where they were effective), but also in myself, was the critical factor. My only criticism of Tubby this year is that in his desire to develop a roster of players, he has never settled completely on roles or rotation. That lets doubts crept in and does not promote player confidence.

Against the weak teams, it did not matter much. But against the stronger teams (and after good scouting), confidence in your ability to score is a must.

Right now - we don't have much.

Top Bottom