Optimistic About Our Over Achievers

Blizzard

Reaction score
Lol .. Wayyyy too much gloom and doom here. I think Tubby's done very well with the players we have this year. We've got a few talented freshman and a group of average players doing what average players do and that's going on hot and cold streaks.

This group is overachieving and with all of their success I know I certainly bought into better things this year. As with average players they've crashed back to earth. It's not the end of the world.

I'll call it a successful season with a top 5 finish and an NCAA birth.

A tourney birth would be nice for recruiting purposes because the 2010 class in Minnesota is thin. Tubby might need to look beyond the state for a wing if we sign Calcaterra in the post.

Lol .. Wayyyy too much gloom and doom here. I think Tubby's done very well with the players we have this year. We've got a few talented freshman and a group of average players doing what average players do and that's going on hot and cold streaks.

This group is overachieving and with all of their success I know I certainly bought into better things this year. As with average players they've crashed back to earth. It's not the end of the world.

Good point, it's the science of small expectations especially when you know what you have to work with. The only problem was our soft schedule and HUGE win against Louisville got every fan accustomed to winning. I hope we are where I began with expectations this year - fighting tooth and nail for a tourny bid.

Well, count yourself in about 5% of the state population. I can't remember talking to ONE person that thought if we didn't make the NCAA tourney this year that it would be a disappointment.

Sure, some people hoped it would be possible, but looking at our team and their youth before the season, if you'd say that we'd be looking at a likely NCAA tourney birth, 99% of MN would be jumping for joy.

can't remember talking to ONE person that thought if we didn't make the NCAA tourney this year that it would be a disappointment.

A highly paid coaching staff in year two, a top ranked recruiting class, a cupcake non-conference schedule, and a Big Ten in transition. Those factors make a tournament run a realistic proposition.

I'm confident that Tubby and the team are aiming for similar goals. Furthermore, we are presently tied for 5th and holding that position will get us into the tourney,it might only take a 3-2 finish with 3 games left at home.

You can also count yourself among the 5% of the state that didn't think we'd make the tournament and top 5 two weeks ago

If we don't make the tournament, this season was an absolutely failure.

You can also count yourself among the 5% of the state that didn't think we'd make the tournament and top 5 two weeks ago
Oh, that's easy to assume 2 weeks ago. I'm talking about pre-season expectations.

If we don't make the tournament, this season was an absolutely failure.

Absolutely agree. Even though our pre-season expectations were low, and yes this team may have over-achieved in December and January, an NIT trip at this point will help diminish a once-again excited fan base and put a huge damper on our national recruiting efforts. For anyone to say that not making the NCAAs is anything less than a failed season is fooling themselves.

A tourney birth would be nice for recruiting purposes because the 2010 class in Minnesota is thin. Tubby might need to look beyond the state for a wing if we sign Calcaterra in the post.

It's "berth" not "birth". This isn't a Sconny or Iowegian board.

It's a birth for a Tourney Berth, because this year is a new baby!!!!!!!!

It's "berth" not "birth". This isn't a Sconny or Iowegian board.

I stand corrected. I'm going to be disappointed without a NCAA tournament berth.

We should be pointing toward 2010-11 when Nolan will be a senior, Joseph and the two low posts will be juniors, and next year's incoming studs will be sophs. By then, Tubby will have found his own brand of players with three recruiting classes. Anything before 2010-11 will be frosting on the cake.

Top Bottom