Bone head coach of the year?

sanowai

Reaction score
Stephan Curry has been tearing everyone up so far this year so this coach puts a double team on him. Curry just sits in the corner of the court the whole game with two guys on him while the rest of the team has a 4 vs 3 all game.
This is quite possibly the dumbest coach I have ever heard of. He says “We had to play against an NBA player tonight,” Patsos explained. “Anybody else ever hold him scoreless? I’m a history major. They’re going to remember that we held him scoreless or we lost by 30?” Who wants a coach with an attiude like that. Who cares if Curry was blanked, your team got waxed by 30. Instead of changing it up he just sits in this defense all game while the rest of the Davidson team feasts on the 3 man zone. I just thought this was interesting and thought I would share it.
Here is the link to the story.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=200811250156&prov=ap

I saw this story, and I have no idea where he is coming from with that quote. Almost makes it sound as though he had no interest in beating Davidson, only to shut down Curry.

I have a feeling Curry and the rest of his team would be content if he didn't score another point this year and they won every game.

On a not-really side note, the other night he scored 30 something points and also had 14 assists. Not bad for a 40 minute game.

Very odd...

Memorable?
Some will remember the catcalls Patsos received from the fans when he stuck with the defense well after the game was decided. Davidson coach Bob McKillop was so annoyed he kept Curry in the game until the final minute.

This is the same coach who sat in the stands after getting a technical called on him last week -- I posted this on the old board before the conversion:

(Loyola-Md Coach Jimmy) Patsos was slapped with a technical foul midway through the first half. According to Patsos, instead of calling the technical on the bench, referee John Gaffney told those at the scoring table, "That's a Grade A technical foul on Jimmy Patsos."

Patsos said Gaffney then warned him that he would be thrown out of the arena if he said another word.

Patsos said Wednesday "I really hadn't done anything in the first place to warrant the technical, and there was no warning. But instead of arguing, I just moved to the other side of the bench and had [assistant] Matt Kovarick call the plays."

Patsos used the time to talk individually to players on his young team. All went well until late in the second half, when Patsos contends Gaffney initiated a switch with another referee to position himself in front of the Loyola bench.

Gaffney then "yelled at me and my assistants," Patsos said.

Patsos had no idea how to react. "I didn't want to get tossed out. I had my hands up in the surrender position," he said.

Patsos said video of the scene shows Loyola athletic director Joe Boylan in the stands, placing his hands on his head in astonishment. Seconds later, Patsos climbed about two rows into the seats to sit behind Boylan and ask for some advice.

"I didn't want to hurt the school or the program, but at that point I really didn't know what to do," Patsos said.

Full story here

Top Bottom