Just giving away a game

EG#9

Reaction score
The way the Gophers played today, and Tubby coached, it was as if they were trying to give PSU a chance to win the game.

Do not start Nolen/Westbrook/Johnson/Sampson/Iverson! We always get off to slow starts...today we had NINE points more than midway through the first half. We didn't score until Paul Carter was inserted and he had our first four points of the game.

The unforced turnovers- Nolen with no pressure on him throwing the ball away, DJ not looking for Westbrooks pass in the 2nd half, 4 carrying violations in the first half and 2 travelling violations.

Missed chipshots- Late in the game we had Ralph, Nolen, and Iverson all miss inside 3 feet. There were others during the game but those were all huge.

The halftime debacle- How does this team have the same f'ing thing happen to them at the end of the half over and over again? PATHETIC

Up by 3 late in the game- We had 3 or 4 possessions with chances to get up by 5 and got nothing. Several of these possessions came after a timeout and we still didn't get anything. Devoe going one on one was not how he was scoring, so I don't understand why "isolate Devoe" seemed to be the play several times late in the game. If the Gophers ever would have gotten up by 5, the game would have been over, but it never happened. I knew when PSU hit that 3 to tie we were in huge trouble.

Ralph Sampson not getting that missed free throw was huge as was the players lack of awareness to foul immediately. We wasted so much time at the end due to not fouling immediately.

I am at a loss to understand why changes have not been made. Since the win against Illinois, the Gophers have played some of their worst basketball of the season. The starting lineup has to change and the trap has to be used more frequently. If we are not going to score in a half court offense, we need to force turnovers in the backcourt.

They better beat Michigan, or this epic collapse that some people seem to be cheerleading for could easily happen.

The way the Gophers played today, and Tubby coached, it was as if they were trying to give PSU a chance to win the game.

Do not start Nolen/Westbrook/Johnson/Sampson/Iverson! We always get off to slow starts...today we had NINE points more than midway through the first half. We didn't score until Paul Carter was inserted and he had our first four points of the game.

The unforced turnovers- Nolen with no pressure on him throwing the ball away, DJ not looking for Westbrooks pass in the 2nd half, 4 carrying violations in the first half and 2 travelling violations.

Missed chipshots- Late in the game we had Ralph, Nolen, and Iverson all miss inside 3 feet. There were others during the game but those were all huge.

The halftime debacle- How does this team have the same f'ing thing happen to them at the end of the half over and over again? PATHETIC

Up by 3 late in the game- We had 3 or 4 possessions with chances to get up by 5 and got nothing. Several of these possessions came after a timeout and we still didn't get anything. Devoe going one on one was not how he was scoring, so I don't understand why "isolate Devoe" seemed to be the play several times late in the game. If the Gophers ever would have gotten up by 5, the game would have been over, but it never happened. I knew when PSU hit that 3 to tie we were in huge trouble.

Ralph Sampson not getting that missed free throw was huge as was the players lack of awareness to foul immediately. We wasted so much time at the end due to not fouling immediately.

I am at a loss to understand why changes have not been made. Since the win against Illinois, the Gophers have played some of their worst basketball of the season. The starting lineup has to change and the trap has to be used more frequently. If we are not going to score in a half court offense, we need to force turnovers in the backcourt.

They better beat Michigan, or this epic collapse that some people seem to be cheerleading for could easily happen.

The team has not played well (even in W) for the past month. The Gophers can W 4 of the last 5 games.

Sure they can win. I like this team, I like Tubby, but we've seen the same things over and over again. I wasn't too upset about the blowout at MSU because I thought it would be a wakeup call that we actually need to score in the first ten minutes of a game. Unfortunately, it wasn't and nothing has changed.

This points to, of course, coaching. Seeing the same patterns over and over again. Think MN Vikings.

Look, this is a young team. But we play with no purpose on offense. These kids don't know what to do! It's obvious they lack a strong scheme. And to leave the PSU 3-point shooters open time after time in the 2nd half? Ridiculous! Make them put the ball on the floor and beat you off the dribble. We have monsters waiting for them down low if they get past us. But NO, we give them the wide open looks and watch in wonder as 3's rain down upon us.

I'm having some serious doubts about our coaching, and that ain't good. We're in the 2nd half of Feb. and these kids look more lost than they did in November.

Let's not overlook that we basically spotted the opposition the game's first three and a half minutes yesterday. We didn't show up to play, and that has to be charged to both players and coaches. It should also add fuel to the argument that some of the regular starters might help more from the bench.

Top Bottom