How good of a rebounder is Paul Carter?

Plinnius

Reaction score
After today's game, he's now averaging 11.3 rebounds per 40 minutes. Looking at the stats, that puts him ahead of potential first round picks like Al-Farouq Aminu, Terrence Williams, Patrick Patterson, Kyle Singler, Earl Clark, Evan Turner, BJ Mullens, Tyler Hansbrough, DaJuan Summers, and Greg Monroe.

I think Paul Carter is the best rebounder on this team and he should play close to 30 minutes a game in the Big-10.

I think that Carter has to start instead of Colt. RSIII is a much better passer at this time, and also has some kind of jumpshot. Carter and Sampson playing beside one another will create more of a matchup problem IMO, then Iverson and Sampson. And I don't really take much stock in rankings like that, what it doesn't account for are the tip-outs, and great box outs that allow others to get the rebound. I see way too many times where Iverson forgets to box out his man, and Carter is just a natural rebounder with better athleticism and just a knack for getting to the ball. Hopefully, though, the Twin Towers will begin to learn the little subtleties of rebounding, and just keep improving

Carter needs more court time no doubt. I'm guessing he'll get it, probably would have Saturday but for foul trouble. This is a big week, I wonder if Tubby will make some changes.

What's interesting is that according to KenPom, Carter is not in the top 500 nationally in either offensive rebounding percentage or defensive rebounding percentage, while other Big 10 players are, including Iverson and Sampson are.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Minnesota

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/help_with_team_page/

Carter doesn't qualify. If you look at the OR% and DR% rankings, at the top of the page it says, "Note: Minimum 40% minutes played to qualify."

Offense

It would seem from KenPom that the reason that Carter doesn't get more minutes is that he uses a ton of his team's possessions when he's in the game (24.2%, 2nd most on team) while at the same time being very inefficient (92.4 ORtg, 37.5 eFG%.)

Only Devoe Joseph has a worse ORtg, but that's based on an insane turnover rate rather than a low eFG%.

Additionally, he commits 4.8 fouls per 40 mins. Hard to stay in the game at that rate.

Turns out Tubby may know what he's doing.

No doubt Tubby knows what he is doing, he is at practice every day. He is a great coach and I think we are very lucky to have him at the U. Yet, I wonder if Carter would be more relaxed and foul less if he was not looking at the bench so much to see when he was coming out of the game. Playing so many players seems to inhibit the development of an offensive flow in the game. You would think because of our depth we would pull away at the end of games when the other team is tired. However, it seems we are not closing games very strong.

It's true, Carter is often overzealous on the defensive end. Clearly he has the highest foul rate on the team. But this is the same aggressiveness that makes him such a tough rebounder. He also looks to be aggressive on the offensive end, which can be ugly at times, but at least he can create his own shot. I'll take his aggressiveness on the offensive end any day over the painful passive offense we see the majority of games. He's not perfect, but he's better than the alternatives.

As for the foul trouble, Carter ended the game with 3 fouls. That doesn't qualify as foul trouble. Sure he had 2 in the first half which some would see as foul trouble. Tubby clearly does. I personally have a higher threshold for what qualifies as foul trouble and don't understand how one of the most effective players on the team can log 16 minutes with 2 fouls to give.

Top Bottom