Maybe we need a trip to the NIT

From the Barn

Reaction score
If we keep playing this way and sneak into the NCAA tournament, I don't see what good that will do in the long run. In all likelihood we would lose in the first round. With such a young team, a deep run into the NIT would give us another three games, a chance to try some new schemes, particularly on offense, and most importantly add to this team's experience.

Obviously I would would rather have us turn it around, and even a first round loss would be more exciting than an NIT championship, but in terms of the big picture it wouldn't be helpful.

If we keep playing this way, there will no deep run in the NIT either.

Yeah, a lengthy run in the NIT isn't guaranteed. Also, I don't think the fan base would take too well to an NIT bid after the way the season started and after the way the football team's season ended.

If we keep playing this way and sneak into the NCAA tournament, I don't see what good that will do in the long run. In all likelihood we would lose in the first round. With such a young team, a deep run into the NIT would give us another three games, a chance to try some new schemes, particularly on offense, and most importantly add to this team's experience.

Obviously I would would rather have us turn it around, and even a first round loss would be more exciting than an NIT championship, but in terms of the big picture it wouldn't be helpful.

Tubby has been in 14 NCAA tourneys. In only 1 of those 14 did his team lose in the 1st round.

If the Gophers get in, look for 1 or 2 W in the NCAA.

FOT, I like your attitude. I agree with you, so, let's get it on, Gophers!!!!!

I hope Tubby and Maturi show some pride and decline an NIT bid.

No offense, but that's a terrible attitude, yet every year someone says this. 12 of the 64 teams have almost no chance of winning even one game, and probably 30 of the 64 have very little chance of winning more then one. But they want to be there more then anything.

I can remember every NCAA game the Gophers have been in since 1990 and how the game went. Although we have played in as many if not more NIT games, I only have a foggy memory of any except the two championship games we won. And even those were less thrilling then losing in the first round to St. Louis in 1995 in OT.

I don't buy the 'they get more experience' aspect either. The experience of one NCAA tournament game is worth 10 meaningless NIT games against teams the calibur of Northwestern in front of half empy arenas.

Tubby has been in 14 NCAA tourneys. In only 1 of those 14 did his team lose in the 1st round.

If the Gophers get in, look for 1 or 2 W in the NCAA.

I am not sure what that has to do with Minn.
What he did in the past has NOTHING to do with what he has to work with now.

Because he did well at other schools with a higher level of talent than he has now does not
mean automatic wins in any possible future NCAA games.

I am not sure what that has to do with Minn.
What he did in the past has NOTHING to do with what he has to work with now.

Because he did well at other schools with a higher level of talent than he has now does not
mean automatic wins in any possible future NCAA games.

It shows what he did at Georgia and Tulsa (comparable to Minnesota) in NCAA play. 4 NCAA bids in 6 years. And 3 of those 4 times, his teams won 2 NCAA games before bowing out.

His teams do well in postseason (NCAA) play.

I hope Tubby and Maturi show some pride and decline an NIT bid.

The NIT is a joke. Teams that basically suck end up in the NIT. The NIT is about as good as playing in the Motor City Bowl. With all that said...you have to go if invited. If we do end up in the NIT, the season was a complete failure.

Two things.

1. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever under any circumstances is a trip to the NIT better than the NCAA, even if your trip to the NCAA is a short one & even if you're blown out. NIT trips don't generate excitement, only (sometimes unfair) ridicule & casual or no interest.

That said. ...

2. No matter what we think of it (it's OK depending on a team's circumstances), it would be foolish to turn down a postseason invitation. None of us want the Gophers to be playing in the NIT in four weeks, but it's still better than the alternative, not playing. The Gophers return almost their entire roster next season, so there certainly would be some benefit to playing another game or two, or three.

right on, Selection...I was drafting a reply along these lines and you said it perfectly.

I agree with SS, what were our expectations when this season started? NCAA bid? Win 1 or 2 games in the NCAA? I am enjoying this season, even though they are falling back a little as of late, and can't wait for what is to come in the next two seasons.

Not sure about this but after all this is the internet ...

IIRC when the NCAA took over the NIT a few years ago, NCAA Div I teams were required to accept an NIT bid if offered. This may have been partly due to the new Post Season tourney that has been set up --- the name of which I cannot remember.

It shows what he did at Georgia and Tulsa (comparable to Minnesota) in NCAA play. 4 NCAA bids in 6 years. And 3 of those 4 times, his teams won 2 NCAA games before bowing out.

FOT, how long did it take Tubby to lose 16 conference games at UK? Was he ever under .500 in conference games? Thanks in advance for your research.

I think you are missing the point.
The past is the past and now is now.

Because he had success at Tulsa and Georgia in NO WAY
guarantees ANY post season NCAA success with what he
has at Minn. today.

I understand you are trying to put faith in him because of
his past record and use it as a barometer for now, but it
doesn't work that way.
You must also remember that while at UK he had a high seed
most times which allowed him to play a lower seeded and weak
team early in the tourneys. When playing higher seeded teams
his success rate took a nosedive. That is the situation we may be in.
If the Gophers make the tournament and we have a low seed, we
may be in trouble early.

In the big picture, the Gophers have improved vastly under Tubby
but the building process is a long one.

Why don't you just admit was a stupid uninformed comment and move on? Sound familiar.

FOT, how long did it take Tubby to lose 16 conference games at UK? Was he ever under .500 in conference games? Thanks in advance for your research.

Tubby has never been Under .500 In Conference anywhere but Minnesota in 2008 season.

It took UK about 4 years to lose 16 SEC games under Tubby. He was 140-45 vs. SEC opponents in 10 seasons.

Fortunately Monson was not recruiting for UK prior to his arrival there.

I think you are missing the point.
The past is the past and now is now.

Because he had success at Tulsa and Georgia in NO WAY
guarantees ANY post season NCAA success with what he
has at Minn. today.

I understand you are trying to put faith in him because of
his past record and use it as a barometer for now, but it
doesn't work that way.
You must also remember that while at UK he had a high seed
most times which allowed him to play a lower seeded and weak
team early in the tourneys. When playing higher seeded teams
his success rate took a nosedive. That is the situation we may be in.
If the Gophers make the tournament and we have a low seed, we
may be in trouble early.

In the big picture, the Gophers have improved vastly under Tubby
but the building process is a long one.

Nothing is guaranteed but 17 years of past performance is good predictor of future results.

Nothing is guaranteed but 17 years of past performance is good predictor of future results.

Exactly. Tubby has been a good tournament coach, at least in the early rounds. So was Clem who I believe was 4-2 in first round games, and the 2nd loss was the Gonzaga abortion. Of course it doesn't guarantee anything, but some coaches just seem to be good tourney coaches. It is a different preparation mode when you have almost no time to study the opponent. Although I am no fan of the BTT, reaching the semifinals last year is a decent sign Tubby has not lost that touch.

Top Bottom