A Late Collapse Much Like The Season!

gophermanic

Banned
Reaction score
3 point lead and several chances to add to it and a choke by the players and coaches.

18-3 start to an NIT invitation.

No way we win 3 out of 5, a meaningless win against Indiana in the B10 tourney and a home game against Illinois St. in the first round of the Not Invited Tournament.

3 point lead and several chances to add to it and a choke by the players and coaches.

No way we win 3 out of 5, a meaningless win against Indiana in the B10 tourney and a home game against Illinois St. in the first round of the Not Invited Tournament.

Well, that took all of 11 minutes.....

Glad to see certain things remain consistent after losses.....:eek:

Sorry to differ,
This is NOT a late season collapse.
The 18-3 record was skewed because of the competition level before Big 10 play.
Most ( not all ) of those wins were against cupcakes. That tends to give fans a
false sense of security in thinking the Gophers were better than they actually are.
Once the competition level went up, the weaknesses of the team were exposed.

Sorry to differ,
false sense of security in thinking the Gophers were better than they actually are.

Gophers have been pounded by Mich St but reasonably competitive in the rest of their games in Big 10 play.

Gophers have been pounded by Mich St but reasonably competitive in the rest of their games in Big 10 play.

They will get pounded by Illinois and Michigan on the road coming up and probably lose to a better coached Wisconsin team at home. This late season collapse thing is nothing new considering we did it many a year under Glen Mason. Play cupcakes-losing B10 record-decline as the season goes on. I like our recruits next year, maybe we can go on a 1997 run WITHOUT the cheating thing.

They will get pounded by Illinois and Michigan on the road coming up and probably lose to a better coached Wisconsin team at home. This late season collapse thing is nothing new considering we did it many a year under Glen Mason. Play cupcakes-losing B10 record-decline as the season goes on. I like our recruits next year, maybe we can go on a 1997 run WITHOUT the cheating thing.

Gotta love how the trolls can't remember which guy coached basketball/football before Tubby and Brew got here. I blamed Mason for a lot of stuff, but I don't think he was responsible for a single late season basketball collapse.

Gotta love how the trolls can't remember which guy coached basketball/football before Tubby and Brew got here. I blamed Mason for a lot of stuff, but I don't think he was responsible for a single late season basketball collapse.

Haha!!! good call!!!!!

Gotta love how the trolls can't remember which guy coached basketball/football before Tubby and Brew got here. I blamed Mason for a lot of stuff, but I don't think he was responsible for a single late season basketball collapse

Im sorry, but I do know the difference. I was just making a point that gopher sports fans are used to big time disappointment and choke jobs and you are an idiot if you think I didnt know that. Brewster is a better recruiter than Mason no doubt but he is a horrible gameday coach. Granted Tubby is ten times better than Monson, but I can see why Kentucky fans grew tired of his offensive setup and gameplan.

While that may be true, reasonably competitive doesn't count in the WIN column.
The fact remains the Gophers are just above 500 in Big Ten Conference play.
Depending on how many teams are selected from the Big Ten by the NCAA
Selection Committee, this could be a HUGE problem. While the OVERALL record is
still good, they will take notice of where most of the wins came from.
They also tend to focus more on how a team is playing at the end of the year and
the record over the final 10 games. Like it or not, the past 2 weeks have not been
very good for the Gophers and we may be slipping into a situation where we are now
going to have to " play our way in ".
That's not a good situation for the Gophers considering the way they have been playing
lately.

While that may be true, reasonably competitive doesn't count in the WIN column.
The fact remains the Gophers are just above 500 in Big Ten Conference play.
Depending on how many teams are selected from the Big Ten by the NCAA
Selection Committee, this could be a HUGE problem. While the OVERALL record is
still good, they will take notice of where most of the wins came from.
They also tend to focus more on how a team is playing at the end of the year and
the record over the final 10 games. Like it or not, the past 2 weeks have not been
very good for the Gophers and we may be slipping into a situation where we are now
going to have to " play our way in ".
That's not a good situation for the Gophers considering the way they have been playing
lately.

The Gophers need to W 3 or 4 of the next 5 Big 10 games. 10-8 Big 10 record, or 11-7, equals NCAA bid.

I think the WI game is shaping up as the one that'll decide which team will make the NCAA field. I'd imagine the Red Menace will be quite ready for that rematch after the way they collapsed in Madison. I don't think I like the trend lines with these two squads right now.

The Gophers need to W 3 or 4 of the next 5 Big 10 games. 10-8 Big 10 record, or 11-7, equals NCAA bid.

Maybe.

The 1997 - 1998 season for Iowa was loaded with cupcakes. They won 20 games and had a 9 - 7 BT record but played in the NIT. MN does have the win over Louisville to hang their hat on but I wouldn't bet the farm that your scenario will play out.

Just sayin'.

Sorry to differ,

Doesn't matter who we played or who we beat... 18-3 is all that matters. When you start winning expectations are raised and you better keep up with those expectations. No one thinks that just because we beat cupcakes we should start losing to teams like Ohio State and Penn State. People expect us to keep winning against average teams like those two. It's human nature to think this way.

Mich. State and Purdue are the only good teams in the Big Ten this year--the rest are average. We should be beating the average teams more often than not. We did this early on...expectations.....

Top Bottom