Non Metro Unknowns? Who should be watched in this years High School Play.

Hoops Fan

Reaction score
I am so tired of hearing about how great the inner city boys play, when I have been watching them get thumped all spring in AAU, especially the 16U groups, by the rural teams that were assembled. Let's here about some non-metro players that don't even get a look, but are talent to be watched this year.

I for one see Morehead, and Buffalo as young talented teams to be watched for upsetting a few top ranked teams this year and definitely next year. Both teams are going to be loaded with non-senior talent! Who else should we watch?

I don't know how good the team is going to be but there is an incoming freshman to watch in Ortonville. My friend is a sports director in the area and he says this kid Riley Thompson is the real deal. My friend said that if it wasn't for small town politics he would have played more at the varsity level as an 8th grader. I haven't seen the kid myself but my friend is never impressed with anyone so for him to call me and say I need to see him, it's a big deal. I did meet the kid last year at a wedding and he was legit 6'4. I guess he plays point/forward. I've tried a few times to get a work out with him with no luck.

I am so tired of hearing about how great the inner city boys play, when I have been watching them get thumped all spring in AAU, especially the 16U groups, by the rural teams that were assembled. Let's here about some non-metro players that don't even get a look, but are talent to be watched this year.

I for one see Morehead, and Buffalo as young talented teams to be watched for upsetting a few top ranked teams this year and definitely next year. Both teams are going to be loaded with non-senior talent! Who else should we watch?

No disrespect but when have you seen top Metro AAU teams getting "thumped" by rural teams. All the top teams are Metro teams that include some "inner-city" players. If you want to know about top rural players and teams just ask. Don't do so by degrating "inner-city" players and teams by using an uninformed opinion.

Alex Illikainen

Alex Illikainen was a 6'8" 8th grade starter for Grand Rapids. He got a little manhandled by Shelby Moats at state, but played better in the second half. Really to even be on the same court with a strong senior who is heading to Vandy is a testament in itself. He could be one to watch. Not a lot of height or athletic ability in lots of teams in the north, I played on the Iron Range. So it will be nice to see him play against the better metro teams.

Alex Illikainen was a 6'8" 8th grade starter for Grand Rapids. He got a little manhandled by Shelby Moats at state, but played better in the second half. Really to even be on the same court with a strong senior who is heading to Vandy is a testament in itself. He could be one to watch. Not a lot of height or athletic ability in lots of teams in the north, I played on the Iron Range. So it will be nice to see him play against the better metro teams.

"Manhandled" is a strong choice of words in describing that matchup. You are correct that Moats got off to a hot start, but Illikainen was smooth and strong for most of that game.

Shelby Moats scored 12 points (2 pts in 2nd half) and had 13 rebounds in the game.

Alex Illikainen had 12 points and 14 rebounds as an 8th grader in the game.

Illikainen will definitely be one to watch. He will be a Division I player, the question really is how much he develops and how he raises his game. He has potential to be a high major prospect for sure. At 6-8, he is already a low major prospect, even if his game doesn't progress all that much.

Watched that game at Williams and I agree that Alex has lots of upside.

I didn't see the game I was just going on some summaries I had read. Maybe they used "Manhandled" in the first half. Or maybe I just pulled that word out of my butt. Anyway "manhandled" or not, an 8th grader vs a high division 1 senior is usually more one sided than that. He must be one to watch.

Top Bottom