Wow, Jacob Thomas REALLY wants to go to The U

BleedGopher

Reaction score
at least according to Willie Braziel, Thomas' HS coach, per Chris Monter's recent update. Here is a partial quote from Braziel on Thomas' recruitment:

"They send a lot of letters," he said. "We've been to a coupler of game. Jacob is really interested in going there. They have not officially offered and Jake has not verballed. But, Jake has every intention in going to the "U." That's just the way it is. I think that is just where he wants to go. He gets letters from everywhere. UTEP, Creighton, Texas, Wisconsin. Everybody is sending this kid letters. I think that is going to triple or quadruple before it is over with. I feel bad for the coaches. All the Dakotas, Iowa State, etc. I don't know if Jake has ever filled out the cards on any of these people, but they still just send the letters. Several of them call me and I try to be respectful to them and they always ask who is also interested in him and the first team I say is the University of Minnesota. I'm hoping that they get the hint. I'm not trying to waste their time or their recruiting efforts or money because Jacob Thomas is not going to go anywhere but the University of Minnesota. I don't know if they want him, but they would sure like him."

Go Gophers!!

That's the spirit! Now let's get the CDH football players thinking that way too. :D

If Thomas continues to play as he has this season, he'll probably starting getting some big-time love on the recruiting scene. Minnesota's reputation as a basketball state has been improving steadily over the past number of years and Thomas has put together some huge showings so far this season.

We'll have to see how well he performs during the summer. If he does well, things will really blow up. If not, he'll stay under the radar. Either way, it appears that Tubby and co. might be holding off on a schollie because they have a few other irons in the fire. It's actually kind a nice problem to have in terms of recruiting, because Tubby as a national name on the coaching front can probably get some national recruits to pay attention to Minnesota.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how things develop between now and Thomas' senior season...

Coach is doing his job

he is promoting his player to the place he wants to go. Good for him. I am no evaluator of talent, but no team can have too many good shooters. Let's just hope we don't "Troy Bell" this Thomas kid.

Jacob will get his offer from Minnesota, but there really is no urgency for Minnesota right now.

OK So it sounds like all signs are pointing to Jacob Thomas taking one of the three scholarships for 2010. I like this as I do believe we have addressed a need in a #2 guard or scoring guard as Westbrook will be leaving and Devoe will be a Junior by then.

.... so who takes the other two? What do you see as our other needs?

-A true big guy. A center with some height that can learn under Sampson and Iverson
-Best available regardless position. Meaning if Barnes/Prather/Kendrick want to be golden we take them.

OK So it sounds like all signs are pointing to Jacob Thomas taking one of the three scholarships for 2010. I like this as I do believe we have addressed a need in a #2 guard or scoring guard as Westbrook will be leaving and Devoe will be a Junior by then.

.... so who takes the other two? What do you see as our other needs?

-A true big guy. A center with some height that can learn under Sampson and Iverson
-Best available regardless position. Meaning if Barnes/Prather/Kendrick want to be golden we take them.

Cosby or Cory Joseph may get 1 of them. The Gophers are deep in frontcourt players next year.

After seeing Devoe

for a while I would be happy to have his little bro too.

I am having a hard time believing that Tubby would offer him a scholarship when he can get guys better than Thomas...I have seen him play a couple of times and didn't walk away impressed. All that I seen him do is shoot the long ball...He's not a deadeye shooter nor is he a great penetrator.

Top Bottom