Lies, Damn Lies & ...

Mikie S

Reaction score
I've just been eying the Gopher stats through four games.

Leading scorer Lawrence Westbrook (13.5) is shooting only 39% and 29% from the arc. Although he provides a scoring threat, he's not a go-to guy, but trying to be is lowering those percentages.

Devoe Joseph and Westbrook have the same number of rebounds (9) and assists (7). Joseph, who has been pulled from the floor a couple time because of bad shot selection has taken fewer shots (7) than anyone except Payton (who doesn't count) and with a better shooting percentage than LW. I would like to see Devoe get more PT and take more shots. The Gophers need to find another scorer.

Paul Carter is not that scorer. Carter is only 8-25 (32%) from the field. He spend most of last year in junior college shooting less than 40% before a fantastic game near the end of the season got him just over.

I really hope Devron Bostick starts picking up the stuff Tubby wants him to learn, because he offers a better scoring option than Carter (at the cost of rebounding and defense)

Surprise, Blake Hoffarber leads the team in rebounding (5.2).

Both freshmen centers (Iverson 5.0, Sampson 3.8) are averaging more rebounds than Spencer did last year (3.7). They already have combined for more blocked shoots that Spencer had. (CI 10, RSIII 5, ST 13)

I wasn't really overjoyed when the Gophers signed Trevor Mbakwe, but the stats he's putting up in junior college has changed me into enthusiastic supporter: 7 games, 15.7 pts/g, 13.7 reb/g, 71% from the field, 68% from the line, 5.1 blks/g

I agree that if Bostick doesn't come around, this could be a long season. On the other hand, Blake is turning out to be more than just a jump shooter. That bodes well for the Gophers. If Paul Carter does the little stuff and gets out on the fast break, we've still got a few options in the half court. It might be a while until we have a legit scoring presence in the post. I foresee most of Ralph and Colt's points to be garbage points. (Greg Oden made his living off of the garbage. Granted, he is a physically gifted individual living in a place beyond our known solar system.)

I think Joseph has the potential to be a Devin Harris type of player for us. I also would like to see him play more. Tubby does seem to have a short leesh on Joseph.

Westbrook's overall field goal percentage is actually only 3% lower than last year. Joseph's hasn't shot much, but since he has only made 3 shots all year, I'm not sure he deserves to jump anyone in the rotation.

Both freshmen centers (Iverson 5.0, Sampson 3.8) are averaging more rebounds than Spencer did last year (3.7). They already have combined for more blocked shoots that Spencer had. (CI 10, RSIII 5, ST 13)

It's one thing to get rebounds against Concordia, another to get them against Mich St. I haven't looked--how do they compare against spence's nonconf rebounding stats?

I don't get too excited about blocks. guys that keep going for blocks tend to be out of position for rebounds. But having said that, I think both the freshman have more of the athleticism needed to block shots than Spence had. Conversely, they don't (at this point anyway) have the muscle to move/keep other big guys away from the basket.

Top Bottom