Katz: Minnesota interesting team to watch with their 3 talents

I have a tough time believing all three of these guys have a chance in the NBA. I know college ball is all about the guards, but its still seems unlikely for a team to have three potential NBAers, and not even come close to sniffing the NCAA's.

In reality, Mwabke has the only chance of the three to making the NBA.

but its still seems unlikely for a team to have three potential NBAers, and not even come close to sniffing the NCAA's

The 2009-10 UNC team had 3 future NBAers (at minimum), not to mention 4 McDonald's All-Americans as incoming freshmen, and went 5-11 in the ACC. I'm sure there are many other examples.

In reality, Mwabke has the only chance of the three to making the NBA.

Williams has a great chance of making the NBA, because there are few men alive who are 6'7" and can run and jump like he can. The problem is that he needs to turn himself into a basketball player instead of just a freak athlete, and time is fast running out to do so.

Sampson has a chance of making the NBA because of his name.

I think Mbakwe is the best player but with the least potential. Williams is athletic, Sampson is tall and might be able to shoot.

If I had to guess, I think Mbakwe has the brightest future, but in Europe. If we were betting on NBA success I would say Williams, Sampson and then Mbakwe- but I wouldn't put any money on any of them.

Williams has a great chance of making the NBA, because there are few men alive who are 6'7" and can run and jump like he can. The problem is that he needs to turn himself into a basketball player instead of just a freak athlete, and time is fast running out to do so.

You have to own some real NBA skill in order to play in the NBA. High flyers like Rodney Williams are a dime a dozen. Gerald Green?!?!?!? He was forunate enough to go the NBA as a high schooler so scouts could never truly see all of his deficiencies. Rodney wasn't that lucky. Rodney doesn't do anything but dunk and get lucky on the occasional three. Yes he has time to get better, but he hasn't shown the ability to improve.

You have to own some real NBA skill in order to play in the NBA. High flyers like Rodney Williams are a dime a dozen. Gerald Green?!?!?!? He was forunate enough to go the NBA as a high schooler so scouts could never truly see all of his deficiencies. Rodney wasn't that lucky. Rodney doesn't do anything but dunk and get lucky on the occasional three. Yes he has time to get better, but he hasn't shown the ability to improve.

Haha athletic players may be a dime a dozen, but 6'7" players with athleticism to the extreme of Rodney Williams certainly are not. If you disagree then start naming other college players who are comparable. In fact, I'll even help you out with a couple. Dwayne Polee and Sam Thompson are comparable (even though Thompson isn't quite in college yet). Start naming some more.

NBA drafts players that have very limited basketball skills all the time, that you can teach, 6-7, quick, with high vertical leap you can't.

After Kenneth Faried from Morehead State was chosen in the first round I have high hopes that Trevor makes it into the NBA draft. Faried's asset - singular asset - is that he is a rebounder....holds the record.

Let's get this straight ESPN, Rodney Williams is NOT a talent. He doesn't have any solid skill set in any facet of his game besides his leaping which gets him dunks and the occasional block.

Don't forget Walker is coming back from injury as well. For a stretch before his injury, he was probably their best big man.

Anyway, it will be about how the guards come around which will be more an issue then the big men.

What do you mean by great chance of making the NBA? I see him as a very late draft choice but I don't see him ever really playing in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong though.

I thought of him as well. Unfortunately for Mbakwe, next year's draft is loaded. Faried is also a better rebounder and defender, and his motor is crazy.

After Kenneth Faried from Morehead State was chosen in the first round I have high hopes that Trevor makes it into the NBA draft. Faried's asset - singular asset - is that he is a rebounder....holds the record.

What do you mean by great chance of making the NBA? I see him as a very late draft choice but I don't see him ever really playing in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong though.

By that I mean that the odds are 80-90% that he will draw an NBA paycheck at some point. He still has two years to develop a reasonable shot and a handle. If he can add those things even marginally, he will be a late first-rounder. Had he entered this year, he would've almost certainly been a mid- to late-second round pick and spent a couple years in the NBDL somewhere with the hope that someone can teach him to be a basketball player.

Top Bottom