Early Predictions....Cause' I'm bored.

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
1) OSU wins, but not as dominately as last year. Losses of Diebler, Lauderdale, and Lighty hurt. But Thomas, Sullinger, Buford, Craft, Williams, Scott, and Ross make for a good core of talent.
2) MSU rebounds big, and losses the B10 championship to OSU by a game or two.
3) U of I adds by subtraction with the losses of Tisdale, and Cole. Mccamey and Davis are bigger losses than first thought, but their juniors and sophmores step up big.
4) Gophs. Big homer pick, but I feel they can truely play tubbyball this year with the deep bench, athletic players, and youth. Press and Run boys, Press and Run
5) Wisconsin will miss Leuer and Nankivil more than they think they will. Mike B a star player? never. He is a great hustle player and has his moments, but he will never average over 10 ppg. Gasser isn't as good as they think he is, but he'll have a pretty good year, 7ppg I'd say.
6) Purdue-Losing Johnson and Moore hurt sooooo much. Hummel will be good, but never what he was as a junior, maybe 14 ppg. Lew Jack should be decent, but he'll still be the 4th or 5th best point in the conference. Ryne smith....hate him. nuff said
7) IU will be better, but Crean is a terrible coach. Zeller will be good, freshman of the year good, but he won't have his way with the veterans.
8) Michigan: The loss of Darius morris will hurt, as we know losing a point gaurd sucks. Trey burke is good, but I feel he plays too much of a street game, lots of turnovers, and hes pretty small. Hardaway leaves for the NBA after this year. Morgan has a nice year too. Outside of Hardaway though, I don't see any stars.
9) NW-Loss of Thompson hurts like no other
10) Iowa still needs another player, Oglesby will come out of nowhere and surprise people. I might go as far as to say they pass NW, but then I rembered they return Shurna, Crawford n others.
11) Nebraska is Nebraska. They will be better then people give them credit for, maybe even pull some upsets, but football is their sport.
12) Penn state is god awful. New Coach might change the attitude of the program though. That would be years down the road.

Feel free to make your own predicitons, and critique mine. I obviously went out on a limb to put my gophers 4th, but I really feel they'll be underrated this year. People put them 8th last year, and we all know if Nolen was healthy we were top 4.

I was surprised to see you had Michigan so low, because shortly after the season ended, I remember seeing people say that Michigan and Ohio State were the only clear conference title contenders. I'm not quite so high on Michigan either, but I think they could finish between 4th and 8th in the conference.

I'm not sure I would put Illinois as #3 in the conference, just because of how they have been underachieving for their talent level, I might put them as 4th to 7th.

While I'm sure Michigan State won't be down for long, I'm not sure they'll be in back in title contention again just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. I'd put them as 3rd or 4th.

I think I generally agree with most of what you said though. I feel like Minnesota could beat just about any of those teams, with the possible exception of Ohio State, and even then, we nearly beat them last year on their own floor when we were healthy, could have possibly taken it into overtime if a foul would have been called on Austin Hollins' final shot.

The Big Ten is pretty wide open this year, and if everything went right, I could see Minnesota as high as #2 in the conference. But it won't go right because, well, we're Minnesota, and that just doesn't happen here. Doesn't mean I'm not going to be very optimistic heading into this season though! GO GOPHERS!

Yea I'll switch Michigan and IU, and PU. Michigan=6th, Purdue=7th, IU=8th. Michigan has one thing going for it, shooting. If they have a bad night they aren't that good at much else. Their D is okay, but....

Initial B1G prognostication:

1. OSU (NCAA)
2. Bucky (NCAA)
3. Michigan (NCAA)
4. Sparty (NCAA)
5. Purdue (NCAA)
6. Gopher (NCAA)
7. Illini (NCAA First 4)
8. Indiana (NIT)
9. Northwestern (NIT)
10. Iowa (CBI)
11. Nebraska
12. Penn State

Initial B1G prognostication:

1. OSU (NCAA)
2. Bucky (NCAA)
3. Michigan (NCAA)
4. Sparty (NCAA)
5. Purdue (NCAA)
6. Gopher (NCAA)
7. Illini (NCAA First 4)
8. Indiana (NIT)
9. Northwestern (NIT)
10. Iowa (CBI)
11. Nebraska
12. Penn State

Hodger, if Indiana goes to the NIT, I'm curious if you think Crean should start getting some heat. If they don't make the NCAA, that would be four years with no NCAA at Indiana for Crean. I realize he inherited a less than perfect program, but it sure seems as if Indiana shouldn't be a BT bottom feeder this long, though they appear to be bringing in some decent talent.

Go Gophers!!

Crean

Bleed, I don't think the clapping & pacing maniac (Crean) is in any serious jeopardy of getting fired, but his seat is getting warmer. I would guess IU fans at minimum are expecting an 8- or 9-win B1G season and a NIT bid, and it wouldn't hurt to log a couple signature wins (Kentucky and OSU immediately come to mind). A couple notable regular-season wins (something his first 3 seasons have sorely lacked) along with the NIT would at least indicate some significant progress and would call off the dogs, so to speak.

But if the Hooisers don't reach the postseason in 2011-12, I would think in 2012-13 a NCAA bid becomes a requirement for Crean.

1) tOSU
2) MSU
3) Gophers
4) Wisconsin
5) Illinois
6) Purdue
7) Michigan
8) Indiana
9) Iowa
10) Northwestern
11) Nebraska
12) PSU

Crean won't get fired after this season with the 2012 recruiting class he has coming in. If they lose any of those commitments Indiana fans would probably go nuts. If they miss the NCAA tournament after this season then he'll probably start to feel some heat though.

It's hard for me to picture any team being very relevant nationally other than OSU. I think Michigan is a little overrated. The loss of Morris is huuuge. I can't really see Illinois or Wisconsin being that good either. I know Wisconsin always does better than I expect, but really? Carrot Top is supposed to be their second star player? Rodney even made him look silly.

I'm glad to see such a consensus at #1 :)

I do believe MSU should be a solid top-25 team - I don't think they're losing much in Summers. Wood I think will end up doing a pretty good job of replacing much of what Lucas gave them. Then they still have their frontcourt guys Roe, Green & Payne (who really could blossom with another year under his belt) as well as Appling and a 5* SF coming in. So I think the best choice for #2 is MSU. Then it's really hard to tease things out - just about anything can happen from #3-#11 (PSU is a near lock for #12).

1/(2^n) of going undefeated, n = number of games played.

4) Gophs. Big homer pick, but I feel they can truely play tubbyball this year with the deep bench, athletic players, and youth. Press and Run boys, Press and Run

Pleeeeasssseee. Pressing and running has never, nor ever will be, tubbyball.

Pleeeeasssseee. Pressing and running has never, nor ever will be, tubbyball.

Since when!?!?!?!?

Tubby Smith Biography
At the age of 44 Smith took over the Georgia team in 1995 and immediately revitalized the program. Smith installed a fast-paced system which emphasized running and pressing--a very similar style of play to Pitino's Wildcats at Kentucky.

The Bulldog faithful even coined the term "Tubbyball" (basketball played at a fast pace both offensively and defensively.) But his success was noted by more that just Georgia fans, such as Kentucky athletic director C.M. Newton.

Smith guided his team to the 1998 NCAA Tournament, but then seemed to unleash "Tubbyball" upon his unsuspecting foes.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/tubby-smith#ixzz1QsMYx0Rn

So, what is Tubbyball?

Smith says it has a simple definition.

"It's basketball."

Well, yes, but it's basketball played at a fast pace on offense and defense. The Bulldogs run. The Bulldogs press. It mimics the variety of ball played at Kentucky, where Smith worked under high-intensity, in-your-face, don't-walk-it-up-run-it-up Rick Pitino before going to Tulsa.

Senior guard Pertha Robinson has his definition of Tubbyball, "It's defense. It's an up-tempo style. It's athletic ability."

In sum, it's Georgia basketball as it too seldom was, but, so long as Smith remains in place, forevermore will be.

Georgia has scored fewer than 81 points only once, in its only loss of the season (to North Carolina). It has kept five of its opponents under 60 points, and foes are shooting less than 40 percent.

It's just like Rick Pitino plays," Foster says. 'Everybody that's kind of come out from under him plays that way. The Georgia program slumbers no longer. It is awake and aroused. It realizes what can be accomplished. "There's a new excitement," says swingman Shandon Anderson, another Bulldog senior. You go around town, if s like you're part of something special."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n1_v220/ai_17977368/

You are officially a moron. :clap:

Like most good coaches, Tubby tries to use the talent he has and adjusts to it. Left to his preferences, he would have an athletic team that could play fast.

I'd group them.

Bottom:
Iowa, Penn state, indiana, northwestern, Nebraska

Middle:
Minnesota, illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan state, Michigan, purdue, Ohio state

Top: nobody, I do not think there is a top 10 team in the conference this year. League could get 7 bids I think though. Any one of those 7 could catch some breaks and win the conference.

I'd group them.

Bottom:
Iowa, Penn state, indiana, northwestern, Nebraska

Middle:
Minnesota, illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan state, Michigan, purdue, Ohio state

Top: nobody, I do not think there is a top 10 team in the conference this year. League could get 7 bids I think though. Any one of those 7 could catch some breaks and win the conference.

I guess I'm inclined to put Ohio State as the likely conference winner, returning Craft, Sullinger, and I think Buford, although the loss of Lighty will be a hit. Wisconsin loses Leuer, but it seems we probably have to include them in the conference title race just because of their track record (though I would be thrilled to see them have a bad season, as it would hopefully cut down on some of the Bo Ryan worship on this forum).

I think I would put Ohio State at the top, but not far ahead of the other teams in your "middle" section. I would also maybe put Michigan, Wisconsin, and potentially Michigan State a bit ahead of Minnesota, Purdue, and Illinois. On the bottom, I think Indiana, Northwestern, and Iowa are better than Nebraska, who is better than Penn State.

I feel sorry for the Penn State basketball fan, he doesn't have much to look forward to this season.

Those teams were in no order at all within the two sections. If I was actually going to predict how they finished I'd probably go:
Ohio state
Michigan state
Purdue
Michigan
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Illinois
Nebraska
Northwestern
Iowa
Indiana
Penn state

I am higher on Nebraska and lower on Iowa and Indiana than most.
In my top 7 I honestly don't see much difference at all between them. Ohio state has a ton of talent and is probably the favorite, but they lose lighty and buford from a team that already lacked depth so I don't think they'll run away with it. I think Wisconsin is the least talented of those top 7, but with their track record I feel like they are a 3-5 team every year. Purdue has a lot of question marks but I know some guys on that team so I put them a little higher for my bias ha.

Who cares about Minnesota? It's all about the Memphis Tigers son. Get wid it or get hit wid it. Memphis Tigers, 2011-2012 National Basketball Champions

Who cares about Minnesota? It's all about the Memphis Tigers son. Get wid it or get hit wid it. Memphis Tigers, 2011-2012 National Basketball Champions

Sweet 16 at best. There are teams with way more talent and experience who don't play streetball.

Gophers
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern
Nebraska
Iowa
Penn State

Until I see them play on the court and prove me otherwise, I like to see the Gophers number one. Remember where you saw the first posting of the Gophers Big Ten Championship.

We don't get much coverage down here in Arizona about the Gophers. Does anyone know if Tubby is taking the team back to Canada this summer or maybe somewhere else for some exhibitions.

Dreamin in the Desert......................

Most boards: Kohl, OSU's the schott etc.. have placed us 3-5, while stating that outside of ahanmisi we don't have an option at PG. Boy will they be surprised to hear the name Andre Hollins in 4 months. I think if our PGs work out, our defense is as stingy as it has the potential to be, and we have 0 significant injuries, or off the court problems, we can forsure place 2nd ahead of MSU and wisconsin. That is a BIG if for us though.

Gophers SHOULD BE #3 , lets hope the slip ups of the past are done

Top Bottom