Lineup so far

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
PG-Hollins SG-Hollins SF- Rodney PF-who do you think C-who do you think (those aren't literal questions btw)

Sixth man-Joe Coleman
Oto-Bring him in the game whenever Rodney, Ralph, or trevor get into foul trouble, and let him play awhile.
Mav, Chip, Elliot, Halvorson, They can pick up some minutes when others need a rest or when we need to change up some things

imo

Some might switch rodney with coleman or oto, but Rodney has things they don't, especially for an uptempo pressing team that we should be playing with the tools we have. 1) game experience, rodney has it, the others don't. 2) Fast break, you could make the case that coleman is just as good on the fast break as Rod, but in the Big Ten 6'7" with hops beats 6'4" with hops anyday. 3) Rodney is the best of the three at blocking shots, getting boards, playing D, and Getting steals/deflections. 4) if we really want to press, i put oto at the 4 and mbakwe at the 5. fwiw

PG-Hollins SG-Hollins SF- Rodney PF-who do you think C-who do you think (those aren't literal questions btw)

Sixth man-Joe Coleman
Oto-Bring him in the game whenever Rodney, Ralph, or trevor get into foul trouble, and let him play awhile.
Mav, Chip, Elliot, Halvorson, They can pick up some minutes when others need a rest or when we need to change up some things

imo

Some might switch rodney with coleman or oto, but Rodney has things they don't, especially for an uptempo pressing team that we should be playing with the tools we have. 1) game experience, rodney has it, the others don't. 2) Fast break, you could make the case that coleman is just as good on the fast break as Rod, but in the Big Ten 6'7" with hops beats 6'4" with hops anyday. 3) Rodney is the best of the three at blocking shots, getting boards, playing D, and Getting steals/deflections. 4) if we really want to press, i put oto at the 4 and mbakwe at the 5. fwiw

With this lineup Ralph is still the 2nd best shooter on the floor which I really don't like. I would like to see Oto in the lineup, and I think he will see a decent to good amount of time each game. There is a chance that Tubby will put Rodney at the 2 when that happens though which I also really don't like.

ralph is the 3rd best shooter in that lineup, and we aren't a half court style team anyways, so 3pt shooting while important, isn't exactly built for this team anyways.

As far as I am concerned ... too many guys deserving minutes is not a bad problem too have.

In game two the first night (Andre, Joe, Oto, Chris) they started pressing with about a minute left and got 3 times in. Ended up with two steals and one near-steal that was a foul. Tubby would have been proud.

lineup so far

Coleman will play considerable minutes pre conference games and will warm the bench the rest of the year.

Coleman will play considerable minutes pre conference games and will warm the bench the rest of the year.

the authoritative and definitive answer has been delivered. Next topic. Don't see how a below average Big Ten team will have too many people competing for minutes.

This is my prediction to start the season, things can easily change afterwards

1st team

Julian Welch
Austin Hollins
Rodney Williams
Trevor Mbakwe
Ralph Sampson

2nd Team

Andre Hollins
Joe Coleman
Oto Osenieks
Mo Walker
Elliot Eliason

Reserves
Maverick Ahanmisi
Chip Armelin
Andre Ingram
Chris Halvorson

2nd Team (All freshman team, just think how good this lineup could be 4 years from now...assuming no early departures or transfers)

Andre Hollins
Joe Coleman
Oto Osenieks
Mo Walker
Elliot Eliason

2nd Team (All freshman team, just think how good this lineup could be 4 years from now...assuming no early departures or transfers)

Andre Hollins
Joe Coleman
Oto Osenieks
Mo Walker
Elliot Eliason

Mo isn't a freshman, and won't be here four years from now, unless he takes a redshirt at some point.

Pretty much all 5 of those guys are unknowns at this point, with only Walker having shown signs he can be a productive major-conference player, and his eligibility could be used up by then. And even Mo has yet to play any games vs. B1G competition.

I hope you're right, but not sure I'm ready to say that starting 5 four years down the road would be a B1G title contender and/or a threat in the NCAA tourney. There are several B1G programs that pretty much annually bring in 2-3 studs every year (Illinois, MSU, OSU).

I didn't go to last night's games, so I haven't seen whether the upperclassmen have improved. However, here's what I'd go with (also not having seen Welch or Ingram). Starters (beginning of the year)

Maverick (just because Tubby's comfortable with him)
Austin
Rodney
Trevor
Ralph

I expect Andre Hollins and Welch to get the majority of the minutes backing up the 1 and 2, with Coleman backing up 2 and 3. I think Chip will get less minutes, unless Mav or the freshmen flop. I expect Oto to get more minutes than Coleman, though. He fills a need for us, as we don't have any other consistent 3 point shooters that I can see. I think Mo will be the primary backup at both 4 and 5, with Eliason being mostly a bench guy who can come in for short breathers. I think Ingram will be an end of the bench Dawson-type, as will Halverson.

However, by the end of the year, I'm hoping this will be the primary lineup.

An. Hollins (I think he has the capacity to be a very good scoring point guard for us)
Au. Hollins (his D and his energy make him a good off-guard. Now if he can only get his shot going.)
Rodney (I'm not down on him like some other people. If they post him up a little more this year, I think he'll be tough to guard)
Trevor (beast)
Ralph

I'm hoping by the end of the year that Mav and Chip (who I like but don't think has the shooting touch to go with his gunner's mentality right now) are sitting down with Ingram and Halverson most of the time, with Mo, Oto, Coleman, and Julian Welch being the primary backups. If we get some good point guard play, I think we could be a very good team next year.

"just think how good this lineup could be 4 years from now...assuming no early departures or transfers"

When did I say that lineup would contend for a B1G title? I'm not saying they will be contenders necessarily, I just think they will be a talented group that could develop a nice chemistry playing together over the next few years.

You're correct, I swear I heard that late last season, guess not

They are applying/applied for a medical hardship waiver, but Mo played too many games to be considered a realistic candidate for a waiver. Tubby did say that though, so you aren't crazy.

This is my prediction to start the season, things can easily change afterwards

1st team

Julian Welch
Austin Hollins
Rodney Williams
Trevor Mbakwe
Ralph Sampson

2nd Team

Andre Hollins
Joe Coleman
Oto Osenieks
Mo Walker
Elliot Eliason

Reserves
Maverick Ahanmisi
Chip Armelin
Andre Ingram
Chris Halvorson

The team has a lot of athletic talent. I learned the hard way last year to temper expectations. It remains to be seen if the team plays like a team, if there are no major injuries or defections, if it has people who can shoot the ball and if the players have an attitude that they are going to play defense and offense agressively and smart. I like what I have seen of the additions and am hopeful the returnees rededicated themselves to improve after last year. If it all comes together it should be a very fun year.

In addition to Mo being a sophomore, not sure I'd call Oto a freshman either (though he could earn a fourth year of competition).

Welch, Au. Hollins, Rodney, Trevor, Ralph is the starting five that I've been thinking and still do.

For all the praise over the past number of months and this week of others, I think the potential importance of Joe Coleman has been understated.

I'm dead tired and need to fight off a cold, but will try to make it out again to HP Academy tonight for the 7pm game (have been there the last two nights as well). I'm terrible, but if anyone wants to challenge me to an NBA-range three point shooting contest (first to make 5 wins), please do.

The team has a lot of athletic talent. I learned the hard way last year to temper expectations. It remains to be seen if the team plays like a team, if there are no major injuries or defections, if it has people who can shoot the ball and if the players have an attitude that they are going to play defense and offense agressively and smart. I like what I have seen of the additions and am hopeful the returnees rededicated themselves to improve after last year. If it all comes together it should be a very fun year.

Well said, agreed

Sixth man-Joe Coleman

imo

Ahamisi, Hollins, Williams, Mbwake, Sampson
Welch/Hollins, Armelin/Hollins, Oseniek, Walker, Eliason

I don't think Coleman will see extended playing time depending on how Walker comes back from the surgery. If he is not 100% and Oseniek needs to play PF then he will get time at SF.

The second team might have better offensive skills than the first, I think they might be pretty equal in overall terms.

Probably totally unfounded, but I have this feeling that Welch is going to be pretty good.

When all is said and done, Andre will be the starting point gaurd when the season starts. No matter how young he is, his BB IQ and skill are too good not to start him. Watching Mav last night, it was clear that andre would start as soon as practice starts. Now if Welch could take the starting spot, I don't know as of now, but out of the players I've watched at HP, my starting lineup is the one I'd bank on if the season started today. Hopefully Welch brings some real competition to the 1 and 2. Another thing I like to do at pulley is eves drop. Sitting next to Ryan James, and Dan Coleman is always nice. In Dan's words, andre is forsure the starting point gaurd.

When all is said and done, Andre will be the starting point gaurd when the season starts. No matter how young he is, his BB IQ and skill are too good not to start him. Watching Mav last night, it was clear that andre would start as soon as practice starts. Now if Welch could take the starting spot, I don't know as of now, but out of the players I've watched at HP, my starting lineup is the one I'd bank on if the season started today. Hopefully Welch brings some real competition to the 1 and 2. Another thing I like to do at pulley is eves drop. Sitting next to Ryan James, and Dan Coleman is always nice. In Dan's words, andre is forsure the starting point gaurd.

I would have absolutely no problem with Andre starting, in fact I would prefer it. I just assumed that Tubby would play the veteran card with Welch. I hope you are right.

Yeah, I'd like to see Andre Hollins start from day one, but it just seems like Tubby likes to trust vets and folks who've been with the program while making young guns earn their stripes. Of course, Welch is the wildcard. Don't forget, he was freshman of the year in a pretty good midmajor conference.

I really have no idea what to expect from Welch. My expectations are low, but I hope he proves me wayyyy wrong. I just don't want to get my hopes up for a player I've never seen play before.

Nice! Thanks - he certainly looked good in those Big West games. More height than Andre- they may play together some with Andre at the PG and Julian at the 2.

Top Bottom