Come next year's Big Ten opener...

Plinnius

Reaction score
Will Johnson and/or Westbrook still be starting?

As of right now I would say yes, but things could easily change. Injuries happen. In this case I could see Devoe's minutes skyrocketing next season. He could possibly be our leading scorer next year. I also think that Paul Carter could replace DJ in the starting line-up because his offense is a lot better than DJ's. ALso the defense we lose with more minutes going to Paul carter would not be much at all.

I think Johnson will definitely be starting. Despite recent (and warranted) criticism by Coach, I still think Duck is his favorite guy on the team. As for Westbrook, I would reserve judgment to see how the rest of the season goes. He's in a funk now, but his "streakiness" could easily switch over and he could go off for big games still.

Both will be seniors next year. Coach Smith has a track record of trusting and starting seniors. This alone makes me think both will be in the starting line up if they're working hard and producing at respectable levels.

DJ has been one of most important players, so I think he will start. Who's going to replace Westbrook? Devoe is the only option, but I doubt he will overtake Westbrook, and if Cobbs hasn't come along enough, Joesph still may be needed to back up Nolen.

I'd just be happy to not have to play Michigan State to open B10 play. It'd be nice to start 1-0 for once.

I also think that Paul Carter could replace DJ in the starting line-up because his offense is a lot better than DJ's. ALso the defense we lose with more minutes going to Paul carter would not be much at all.

Carter's also a substantially, substantially better rebounder than Johnson.

Carter's Reb/40: 10.78
Johnson's Reb/40: 6.2

That's a massive difference.

Can we get thru this year please???? Good Grief. Let's dwell on today, sports fans.

Interesting Q -- even though the Dr doesn't care for it :) .. Paul Carter is the Gopher that consistently follows his shot. That equates to rebounding that this team (this year and next year) desperately needs, so yeah it's possible that he starts, but I'm not sure it will be in place of Damian.

Carter and DJ

I've liked that about Carter too. I'd like to see him and DJ out there together more but between the two regardless of whether or not he starts he is going to get a lot more PT next year.

Interesting Q -- even though the Dr doesn't care for it :) .. Paul Carter is the Gopher that consistently follows his shot. That equates to rebounding that this team (this year and next year) desperately needs, so yeah it's possible that he starts, but I'm not sure it will be in place of Damian.

Carter's propensity to track down his own misses makes his poor shooting percentage much more tolerable

Yes it does From the Barn -- No one else seems to follow their own shot on this team except PC.

Westbrook

I could see starting Nolen and Devoe with Westbrook as a scorer off the bench at some point.

If either one is a yes, then things won't be going well in Tubby year 3. Carter is MUCH better than DJ, Devoe will be playing for Westbrook.

I think 2 or 3 of White, Mbakwe, Williams, and/or (Devoe) Joseph could be starters by then.

Nolen and Sampson or Iverson are the other 2 starters (then).

Tend to agree with FOT here. White has a lot more potential offensively than Damian, although Damian certainly will play a lot because he works hard on defense. Mbakwe will also eat up some minutes because he's the physical rebounder we simply don't have. In fact, of all the newcomers, I'm expecting the most out of Mbakwe from the start.

Rodney will get a chance to show his stuff as well because he'll be far and away the most explosive athlete on the team next year. And I think if we can get good play from Cobbs and move Joseph back to the two, it will make him a legit scoring option. If I had to guess, I would go with Nolen, Joseph, Johnson, Mbakwe and Sampson with White, Iverson, Williams and maybe Hoff (if he find his stroke again) coming off the bench with Westbrook also in the mix somewhere

Top Bottom