This from Phil Steele College Review

Reaction score
Forecast: 6th place Legends Division
" The Tim Brewster experiment is over and ended as soon as Minnesota clinched a losing season last year. HC Jerry Kill inherits a veteran squad with 14 returning starters and the Gophers could have the most improved D in the country this year after allowing 392 ypg LY. a couple of my sets of power ratings actually call for a winning season but with a tough Big Ten schedule I'll call this a rebuilding year and even Coach Kill compared it to his first year at Southern Illinois" ( 1-10)

Bits and Pieces:
Minesota's Big Ten record over the last 10 years: 28-52 ( ties ILL for 10th)
Kicking game: Last year they finished last in punting ( 36.1 yds) and 10th in FG kicking ( 11-17)
Toughest Conference for 2011
1. SEC
2.Big 12
3.PAC 12
4. ACC/ Big Ten ( Tie)
According to Phil Steele Minnesota's football budget ranks last in the Big Ten at 9.25 million.
Ohio State first at 32.3 million. ( Didn't Maturi say our FB budget wasn't last in the Big Ten?)
Top offensive recruit: QB Max Shortell at #49 for his position
" " " OL Tommy Olson at # 67 for his position
Top defensive recruit LB Peter Westerhaus #104 for his position
Recruiting rankings: Minnesota #64 in the nation. #11 in the Big Ten.
Top 75 Incoming Juco's: John Rabe, Minnesota #73 ( Ge'Shun Harris WR. #98)
Top 75 OL: Tommy Olson #67
Summary: For me, the 28-52 over the last 10 years in regards to the Big Ten was a slap in the face. We've a long way to go boys. I'm glad they didn't recap the last 40 years. That would really be a kick in the lowers.:eek:

Very Interesting. Seems the pundits don't put much stock in good coaching, at least for the first year. Well, on the bright side, we've got no way to go but up in stature from the early season prognosticators. And watching this season unfold is going to be exciting. I have this sneaking suspicion we're going to surprise someone...but if we don't...well, maybe next year! Go Gophers!

Very Interesting. Seems the pundits don't put much stock in good coaching, at least for the first year. Well, on the bright side, we've got no way to go but up in stature from the early season prognosticators. And watching this season unfold is going to be exciting. I have this sneaking suspicion we're going to surprise someone...but if we don't...well, maybe next year! Go Gophers!

I think the pundits put a lot of stock in good coaching, they just realize we are not reloading, we are rebuilding. It is not a one year job. Those of you who think this staff can magically turn this roster into a BigTen contender don't get it. Brewster left Kill about where Mason left him, some players and a lot of kids recruited well over their talent level.

Always good to be an underdog, no where to go but up!
The beer will be cold. The brats will be hot. The band will be rocking.
Go Gophers!

Top Bottom