Intersting concept: FBS Schools In NFL Markets: TCU & SMU

norman dale

Lord, grant me one Rose Bowl
Reaction score
This is the second in a weeklong series examining the unique circumstances faced by FBS programs that reside in metropolitan markets alongside an NFL franchise.

Appropos topic to our program. Let's hope Jerry Kill let his boss know how his good friend Gary Patterson's AD handles his football program. I think JK gets it, JM, umm... not so much.

"It was huge for us to come back to campus in that kind of a stadium," Orsini said. "We have a unique product and us playing in a pro venue and try to look like a pro product wasn't what we needed to do. The consumer knows it's not a pro product. Part of the college product is tailgating. We've got our Boulevard in the center of campus where we tailgate. That was the idea of our president [Gerald Turner]. He wanted to showcase our beautiful university on a Saturday afternoon and now we're doing that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/columns/story?columnist=durrett_richard&id=6675301

"We really tried to focus on what types of color can you come up with that don't cost money," Kull said. "Our tailgating is so good, people won't come into the game. The Bleacher Creatures run right behind the team. A little kid doesn't come without parents. We get the parents out of the parking lot."

Most of all, what TCU does is get out of the office. Patterson spreads his gospel of family and chemistry from the locker room into the city. He will pull over and speak at a bus stop if he sees people waiting. One afternoon this spring, one of the most successful coaches in the nation stood in a TCU parking lot, his McDonald's drive-thru lunch bag growing cold in his hand, talking to a small group of fans.

"The head coach [being] very visible really helps," Kull said. "People don't want to hear from me. He'll do anything we ask him to do. He's had to do that. He really applies himself."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=6680378

Since I linked 2 articles not previously mentioned it was worthy of its own thread. Besides Maisel's article was just posted on ESPN.com. The jist of my post is how the quoted people feel it is important to emphasize tailgating. Not familiar with the bored police - not trying to be the grammar police.

Thanks for posting Norman. It sounds like SMU hit upon a simple idea that the U could easily replicate. Why not have tailgating on Northrop Mall? Or on some sections of Pillsbury Drive (or another interior campus street that wouldn't impact gameday traffic significantly)? Not sure how LRT affects that last idea so maybe it's crazy. :)

Anyone thinking the U doesn't have something to learn isn't thinking big picture/outside the box IMO. The number one thing the U needs to improve (besides on field performance) is gameday atmosphere. And even if they never improve the tailgate lot situation right next to TCF (which sucks but shouldn't be the primary focus given the fact that most of those lots aren't going to exist under the East Gateway master plan) they need to come up with other creative ways to offer tailgating and to improve the atmosphere on campus.

The City is hamstringing them, but the U needs to stand up and push back. Northwestern used to get all sorts of crap from the City of Evanston (night game limits, etc) but the university made a conscious decision to engage them and things have improved. The U needs to do the same.

Top Bottom